⇢ CHAPTER 62

season 9 episode 12

"You're kidding." Holly chuckled, eyes wide as she stared up at her mentor, "You're kidding."

"Nope." Derek smiled, passing Holly the chart in his hand with a smile, "An acoustic neuroma, just for you."

"You're joking." Holly repeated, her eyes looking down at the majestic chart in her hand as she could practically feel her eyes tearing up, "There's no way."

"I'll still be in the room." Derek reminded, "But this will definitely impress the board when you have it on your list of surgeries as a fifth year." He placed a hand on her shoulder as she read over the chart, "This is the most important year for you, Kepner."

"An acoustic neuroma." Holly exhaled, eyes scanning through the papers as Jackson approached the two. Hearing footsteps, Holly moved her head over in time to see Jackson stop next to her as her face lit up with a smile, "I have an acoustic neuroma."

"All by yourself?" Jackson asked before Holly nodded, making him throw a look at Derek.

"She's ready." Derek affirmed before looking at Holly with a quirked brow, "You ready?"

"Pft." Holly scoffed, her eyes still looking down at the chart, "Born ready."

"There we go." Derek nodded with a smile, acting like a proud father as Jackson worriedly looked over Holly's shoulder to look at the chart-- it wasn't that he doubted Holly's surgical skills, rather, he didn't want anything to go wrong since it was the most important year of her surgical career.

"Did you read the chart?" Derek asked as he walked down the hallway with Holly with Jo Wilson behind them.

Holly let out a scoff at his words, "Of course I did." She rolled her eyes, "We were supposed to operate on Jimmy before the plane crash and then that happened, then your hand wasn't working and I wasn't here but we're all here now." Holly stopped in front of their patient's closed door before eyeing Derek, "Are you having doubts?"

"Of course not." Derek shook his head with confidence, "You'll do great." He threw her a smile before nodding his head to the intern, "I'm gonna stick back here and inform Wilson on our patient since she probably didn't read the chart."

Jo's eyes looked up at the attending, "Sir--"

"Go in and talk to Jimmy and his sister." Derek interrupted, giving Jo squinted eyes for a second as Holly sighed and walked inside.

"Dr. Shepherd--"

"See if you can switch with Ross." Derek instructed once he saw Holly chatting with the patient and his sister-- Jo's eyes swirled with confusion.

"Oh," Jo spoke in a defeated voice, "did I--"

"No," Derek assured, "it's nothing you did wrong." His eyes glanced into the room before he dragged Jo a few feet away, "It's just that Ross has been in our cases before and he'd know what Holly would want before she even asks for it. I won't have time to teach you on this one."