12.Don't Need Candles Or Cake🎂

Author: eatmyass

Link: https://archiveofourown.org/works/20481818

Summary:
But this year Jimin hadn't even kissed him properly. He'd been gone when Jungkook woke up this morning, and after the generic 'happy birthday kook x,' text he hadn't really said much of anything to him.

So when Seokjin drops them off at their apartment, Jungkook gets out of the car feeling a little insecure for possibly the first time since they first got together. He trudges in reluctantly and prepares himself for the worst. Surely Jimin wouldn't be cruel enough to break up with him on his birthday, he thinks. There must be some other explanation, they just need to talk it out that's all.

(It's Jungkook's birthday and boy, is he in for a surprise.)

Notes:
⚠️ SMUT WARNING ⚠️
(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Jungkook really really doesn't want to admit it but he is a little bit disappointed.

It's his birthday and his hyungs had all taken him out for a meal and drinks and given him really thoughtful presents. From fancy accessories to expensive filming equipment, they'd covered it all. And Jungkook really isn't a materialistic person, he would have been just as happy if they'd given him heartfelt handmade gifts and thrift shop items like they often gave each other on birthdays when they were all broke students. He still wears the six foot long teal scarf Taehyung knit him for Christmas during his freshman year.

But Jimin.

Jimin had sent a brief, one line message wishing him a happy birthday this morning and then disappeared completely. He hadn't reappeared until they'd all gone out for drinks, with no real explanation as to where he'd been and only a quick peck on the lips in greeting, after which he'd remained kind of distant for the rest of the night. Now Jungkook really isn't very clingy or needy, but when your own boyfriend ignores you on your birthday it does hurt a little bit.

Not to mention that Jimin had also been the only one to not get him anything.

And again, Jungkook really isn't materialistic but even when they were living off expired instant ramen and cereal they both always went out of their way to make birthdays special. Their first year together Jimin had taken on extra shifts at the coffee shop he worked at to be able to afford a present for Jungkook. One year Jungkook had had to buy a really important textbook right before Jimin's birthday and had nothing left to spend on a gift. So he'd gotten Yoongi hyung to help him write and record a song about Jimin's sweet smile and pretty eyes and sang it to him at exactly midnight on his birthday. Jimin had cried for at least half an hour.

But this year Jimin hadn't even kissed him properly. He'd been gone when Jungkook woke up this morning, and after the generic 'happy birthday kook x,' text he hadn't really said much of anything to him.

So when Seokjin drops them off at their apartment, Jungkook gets out of the car feeling a little insecure for possibly the first time since they first got together. He trudges in reluctantly and prepares himself for the worst. Surely Jimin wouldn't be cruel enough to break up with him on his birthday, he thinks. There must be some other explanation, they just need to talk it out that's all.

He's hanging his coat up on the coat rack when Jimin slides in behind him, arms around his waist. "Baby, I have a surprise for you," he mumbles against Jungkook's cheek and presses a kiss there.

Oh. Jungkook can't help but feel a little embarrassed. He really is a dumb shit sometimes, of course Jimin wouldn't forget.

"Go sit on the couch, I'll be out in a sec," he tells Jungkook, before disappearing into their bedroom.