120. walls have ears (and mouths)👄

Author: arashianelf

Summary:

jimin has a very special ability, and this is how he makes friends with it as he grows up.

Notes:

the jikook is only hinted, so please don't expect anything much!

Work Text:

⌂ seokjin ⌂

jimin meets the first when he is but a little boy. he steps into the house his family has recently moved into, the smell of sea salt strong in every part of the house, and someone says, hello. the voice is warm, and welcoming, and jimin ekes out a 'hello' in return.

i see you're new here. oh, you're still so young. am i the first one you've heard, child? the voice says, and jimin says, "first what?" the voice laughs, and the sound wraps around jimin's body like a warm blanket, like home.

your first house, dear child. don't you know? every one of us has a voice. before jimin can reply, his mother and father walk into the house carrying cardboard boxes, and jimin barrels into his father's legs. "appa, appa, can you hear that?" he looks up at his father from where he's clinging onto him, and his father squats down, putting the boxes down as he smiles the trademark park eyesmile at his son.

"hear what, jimin-ah?" "the house! it spoke to me!" jimin gasps, amazed, "and you told me magic didn't exist!" his father stares at him in shock for a while, before he laughs. "i see you've got the family trait, then. appa can't hear it, jimin-ah, but do you know who can?" jimin stares at his father in childish wonder, while his mother looks on fondly at the father and son.

"your harabeoji, jimin-ah." jimin's expression brightens up greatly, and he beams. harabeoji is his favourite grandparent, and to hear that he has something in common with him makes him really happy to hear. "that's so cool! eomma, did you hear that? i have the same power as harabeoji!" jimin whips his head around to face his mother, and she laughs.

"yes, i did, jimin-ah." she opens her arms for jimin to run into, and he does exactly that, burrowing into her embrace. "but you cannot tell anyone that you have this power, alright?" she says seriously, cupping his face in her hands. he tilts his head in question, and she answers, "not everyone has this power, jimin-ah, and there are bad people out there who will hurt you because they don't believe."

"but that's stupid," he says, stomping his foot, "powers are cool! and they're dumb for not believing." the house rumbles with laughter at jimin's words, and the child tears himself away from his mother's embrace to run around the house, trying to find the source of it.

"where is your mouth, mr house?" he asks, standing in the middle of the room that is going to be his for the foreseeable future. the house laughs again. i have no mouth, child. i am everywhere in this structure, and there is nothing that goes on in this house that i am not aware of. your name is jimin, yes? the voice sounds kind, and jimin nods enthusiastically.

"park jimin, seven years old! it's nice to meet you, mr house!" he introduces himself, and the house exudes warmth. my name is seokjin, park jimin. welcome to my humble abode. i look forward to the years with you. it has been far too long since i've had someone like you within these walls.

when jimin first goes off to school, both his parents and seokjin remind him multiple times never to tell anyone that he can talk to seokjin, and all jimin does is stomp his feet impatiently and nod his head furiously. six hours later, he runs into the house ahead of his parents, telling seokjin about his first day at school in excited rambling.

that sets the routine for the next few years. jimin goes off to school after bidding goodbye to seokjin and his parents, and gets on the school bus when it comes. after he hits twelve, he bikes to school.