chapter 3

i tiptoe through the corridors, staying tight against the walls in case someone were to come around the corner... it's almost an hour past curfew. just in case, i stuffed a bag of cat treats into my pajama pants pocket, preparing to say my cat ran out of my room and i'm searching for him (even though in reality, i don't have a cat. i stole the treats from my roommate, but saying i was searching for my owl would be idiotic). i peer around the corner to make sure no one is in the next hall before i continue on. i shuffle quickly down the last stretch of hall before entering the library, shutting the door behind me softly.

this was the worst place he could have picked, someone's always patrolling the library. but i know this must've been the spot he meant, back left corner behind the astronomy books. it's where we would always study for that class before we went to detention together. i duck behind a shelf and let out a sigh, getting here was stressful enough, thinking about our days in detention doesn't make it any better.

and even though i'm horrified of being caught, i'm even more curious to hear what he has to say.

i straighten myself out and tuck my hair behind my ears, trying to check my reflection in the window before i would make my way back to our spot-

"trying to look nice for me, y/l/n?"

i gasp at the sudden voice from behind me, gripping my chest and spinning quickly around, only to see draco smirking at me.

"don't sneak up on me like that!" i roll my eyes at him, hissing at him through my teeth, "you know how easy it is to get caught here?"

"that's part of the fun" his grin widens as he walks closer to me, taking my arm in his and pulling me towards our study spot in the back. i notice he drags me behind him that he's brought his book bag along with him, quite odd.

we reach the couches in the back and sit down next to each other. draco reaches down and pulls his bag onto the couch next to him, beginning to dig through it.

"sooo.." i rock back and forth anxiously, continuously checking for anyone else in the library, "why did you make me come down here?'

"i" draco laughs, "didn't make you do anything" he smirks, taking his gaze away from his bag for a second to look at me, "it was your choice to actually show"

i roll my eyes and scoff, he's so arrogant. i lean against my knees, placing my head between my hands.

"ah here it is!" i hear draco exclaim. i look back at him to see him pulling out.. a book?

i look at him, confused, and he quickly explains, "well i noticed you were quite shit in potions today. i thought i would offer my help"

i raise my eyebrows, "you brought me all the way down here just to insult me?" i stand up from the couch, "no way malfoy-"

his hand wraps around my wrist, drawing me back toward the couch, "there was.. another thing"

"oh really?" i straighten up and look at him, "and what's that?" i pull my arm away from him, crossing my arms as his cheeks flush, a phenomenon i've never seen on draco

draco clears his throat a little, opening his palm slowly, "i- i got this over the summer. my mother actually planned a trip outside of the manor and... well," his palms fully opens, revealing a small necklace with a charm of saturn on it, "i know it's not much but it.. reminded me of you? you know? because of our little study sessions back here. and i wanted to give it to you in person and every time i went to write to you i would end up spoiling the surprise... and couldn't send the letter so- "

i feel smile emerge on my face, not being able to find the words to thank him. is this draco being... nice?

"stop talking" i decide to put him out of his misery, as i think he would've rambled on for ages if i didn't speak soon. i reach out my hand and slowly take the necklace out of his, looking at it closer. it's actually quite detailed, with little flecks of color across the silver charm.

"draco i-" i start to say

"if you don't like it i can give it to my mother-"

"no no no!" i smile wider, taking my eyes off of the necklace to look at him. i've never seen him look this anxious, "i like it. i like it quite a lot, draco" i can see his worry melt away, and a small smile appears on his face. "thank you for thinking of me" i smile back as i unclasp the necklace, wrapping it around my neck and clasping it again in the back. its hangs at the perfect length, and i smile a little wider, "and i forgive you... for not writing"

he smiles for a second, before turning away, "well we should study" he says, abruptly ending the nice moment, "it's only day one and you're already behind in class" he shakes his head, looking back at the book and beginning to rattle off a million details about the potion at once. i sit back down next to him, although i can barely focus on what he's saying as i twirl the necklace charm between my fingers.

"are you even paying attention to me? i didn't come here to waste my time" draco scowls, looking back at me. swiftly, i drop the necklace from my fingers and lean forward.

"yeah, yeah i'm listening"

we spend the next half hour studying before packing up, beginning our silent journey towards the dungeons where our dormitories reside. once we're safely back within the common room, i turn back to draco.

"thank you again," i lift the necklace, "for the gift"

"eh don't mention it" he shrugs, "don't want you to think i fancy you or anything." i chuckle a little as he walks past you, going towards the boys dormitories

"would it be such a horrid thing to fancy me?" i raise my eyebrows

he looks back at me for a moment, looking like he might say something, but then continues back towards the dorms "have a nice night y/n" he says without turning back to me again

"you as well malfoy" i bite the inside of my cheek, hoping i didn't take the joke to far.

i still smile a little to myself as he disappears down the corridor and i head up to the girls dorms, hiding the necklace under my shirt in case anyone was awake, not that i think anyone would be able to make the connection but... better safe than sorry. luckily everyone is fast asleep, and i'm able to climb into bed with no trouble. soon, i'm fast asleep, ready for what the next day has in store.

__________________________

starting to get a lillll juicy lmao. i've been out of fanfic writing for awhile so i hope this is up to par. sorry for any typos/grammar mistakes! lmk any critics below :)