chapter 33

all heads turn off of harry, and on to me. my jaw practically drops to the floor as i look next to me at draco, my eyes wide in shock.

"did he just say...?" i manage to whisper out. draco nods slowly, looking around at the room staring at me.

"get up y/n" he says between his teeth

"what?" i say blankly

"get up" he says again, more forcefully, grabbing at my robes and standing, pulling me up with him

"i- i don't understand-" i mumble

"it chose your name, now go" draco whispers in my ear, stepping me over the bench and shoving me slightly towards the front

"i didn't even-" i start again, looking back at draco, but he just shakes his head quickly, nodding towards the front of the room, where i can see harry walking past the staff table. i swallow slowly, looking around at all of my classmates staring back at me. i begin to walk, quickening my pace with every step as i make my way to the next chamber, the door slamming behind me.

"y/n?" i hear cedric's voice, and i look up to see him standing by the fireplace with the other champions, all of them surrounding harry. i wipe a tear off my cheek i hadn't realized was there as i walk closer to them

"you too?" harry whispers. i nod slightly, going to stand next to cedric. he wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me against his side. i don't protest, being too overwhelmed to make sense of anything going on.

then, ludo bagman comes scurrying into the room, "extraordinary!" he mutters, coming to stand between harry and i, myself still tucked against cedric's chest, "absolutely extraordinary! may i introduce - incredible as though it may seem- the fourth, and fifth, triwizard champion?"

"oh, very funny joke, mister bagman" fleur says with a toss of her hair. i look at her and feel tears come to my eyes again, but i pull them back, just as cedric tightens his grip around me.

"joke?" bagman says, bewildered, "no, no, not at all! their names just came out of the goblet of fire!"

"there must be a mistake" i manage to choke out, turning my eyes to mr. bagman, "i didn't put my name in there"

"she's too young, mr. bagman, she can't compete" cedric says with concern in his voice

"well... it is amazing" says bagman, rubbing his chin, "but, as you know, the age restriction was only imposed this year as an extra safety measure. and as her name's come out of the goblet... i mean, i don't think there can be any ducking out at this stage... it's down to the rules, you're obliged-"

the door behind us opens, and a large group of teachers rush in, including dumbledore, mcgonagall, snape, along with karkaroff, madame maxime, and mr. crouch.

"madame maxime!" fleur says immediately, walking over to her headmistress, "they are saying these little students are to compete also"

"what is the meaning of this, dumbly-dorr?" madame maxime says imperiously

"i'd rather like to know that myself, dumbledore" professor karkaroff says, staring intensely between harry and i, "three hogwarts champions? i don't remember anyone telling me the host school is allowed more than one champion- or have i not read the rules careful enough?" he laughs nastily, almost reminding me of draco, "we were under the impression your age line would keep out younger contestants"

"it's no one's fault but potter's" professor snape says, glaring at harry himself, "don't go blaming dumbledore-"

"thank you severus" dumbledore interrupts him firmly, walking over to harry and i as cedric releases me so i can turn to face the headmaster, "did either of you put your name in the goblet of fire?" he says calmly

"no" harry and i say in unison

"did you ask an older student to put it into the goblet of fire for you?"

"no" we reply again. with that, the professors begin arguing over whether we are telling the truth or not. i try and look to harry, but he looks shell-shocked, still staring blankly ahead of him.

"we must follow the rules" mr. crouch finally says, "and the rules state clearly that those people whose names come out of the goblet of fire are bound to compete in the tournament."

_________________________

professor moody barges in, ends up spending the next ten minutes spinning wild theories that our names were placed in the goblet because someone's trying to kill harry and i. now, i would understand harry. our past three years people have constantly been out to get him. but me? for what reason would someone have to go after me?

the great hall is deserted by the time we exit the room. i walk slowly through the dimly lit room, still trying to process all that's just happened. harry walk's quickly away though, probably off to get sleep as soon as possible. doesn't sound like too bad an idea.

"so" cedric whispers to me with a slight smile, catching up to me as we walk out of the hall, "looks like we're playing against each other again!"

"i s'pose" i say quietly, not really feeling up for conversation

"so.. tell me... " cedric says even quieter, "how did you get your name in?"

i stop in my tracks, "i didn't" i say firmly, staring up at cedric, "i didn't put it in. i was telling the truth"

"ah.. okay" cedric nods slightly, but i can't tell if he believes me, "well.. i hope you're alright" he gives a weak smile, "see you, then" he walks away from me, down towards where i now know the entrance to the hufflepuff common room is. i begin to make my own way towards the dungeons, wondering what will be there when i arrive.

_________________________

when i walk in, it's hardly the party i'm sure cedric's receiving back in the hufflepuff common room. some people are still scattered about, but all of them look at me with intense glares when i walk in. jealousy is very common amongst the slytherin house, and i'm sure no one appreciates a fourth year girl randomly getting chosen over them. i spot daphne in the back corner, and quickly shuffle past everyone to snag the seat next to her.

"there you are!" she says with a sigh of relief, standing to hug me, "what's going on? they aren't making you compete are they?" i nod slowly and she covers her mouth, sitting back down slowly, "jesus christ" she says softly, "why'd you put your name in there?"

"i didn't" i say, getting annoyed with the question, "i swear. i would've never-"

"okay okay. i believe you" daphne says, placing her hand over mine

"good, it seems your the only one." i sigh, "... where's draco?" i scan the room again, but still don't see him

"yeah..." daphne clears her throat awkwardly, "the second you left the great hall he stormed out, we haven't seen him since" she must see me grow concerned, because she quickly continues, "i'm sure he's just sleeping" she smiles, "which you should do as well. you can talk to him in the morning"

i nod, standing up with her. nervously i walk through the common room towards the stairs to the girls dorms, hearing whispers between my classmates as i walk past. when i get to the dorm, pansy is sat up waiting for me, and is quick to comfort me along with daphne until we finally go to sleep.

_________________________

lol told u fourth year was interesting
on the last chapter a LOT of ppl were curious as to why y/n was chosen (obviously) so if u'd like u can private message me on here and i can fill u in, or u can find out as the character finds out! she's just as confused as you are lol, but trust me i have a plan and a reason why she was picked.

vote/comment/share ! :)

p.s. thank you for 13k reads!