chapter 41

the next couple free periods i have i spend with cedric and harry in the library, trying to work out what clue the egg is supposed to tell us, before we leave for holiday. we end up coming up with nothing.

"successful day?" i come back into the common room, seeing draco sat on the couch before me. it's nearly 10, most people have gone back up to the dorms.

"still turned up with nothing" i shrug, falling down onto the couch next to him, "at least i know they haven't gotten the answer either" i look over at him, seeing him looking at me with a small smile on his face, "what's that for?" i smirk back at him

"nothing" he shrugs, the smile getting a little bigger as he leans forward, picking a book up out of his bag, "while you were gone i did some reading" he hands the book to me, letting it land open to a page he marked, "think i've figured what we're meant to feed the skrewts" he points to a part he has underlined, outlining the blast-ended skrewt, as he extends his other arm across the couch behind me.

i look up at him in shock, "you did research? for care of magical creatures?" he flushes and turns his head away from me, but i can see him still smiling

"it's nothing" he shrugs

"this is far from nothing" i chuckle, gesturing at the pages, "i've never seen you put any effort into this class before"

"well it's about time then isn't it?" he smirks, taking the book from my hands and dropping it back down into his bag. he looks at me for a second, and then the entranceway opens, pulling both of our attention away from each other. i feel draco's arm slip off the back of the couch and back beside him as blaise enters.

"hey y/n" he nods to me slightly, "draco i was looking for you"

"i've just been here" draco shrugs, adjusting himself slightly away from me.

"c'mon upstairs then, it's just past curfew" he gestures to the staircase. draco looks at me, almost apologetically, before quickly gathering up his things.

"goodnight, y/n" blaise shouts as he jogs up the stairs. draco looks back at me for a second, waving goodbye with a small smile before following.

__________________________

"did mcgonagall make a big show about the first dance to you as well?" i say to cedric as we study in the library, both reading up on various dark creatures that may make the horrid screaming sound that come from the eggs.

"mcgonagall wasn't the one who told me, but yes" he laughs a little, shutting his book slightly, "have you worked out who you're going with?"

"i was going to ask you if you had-"

"because i would like if we could go together" he says. i look over at him, seeing him looking back at me, hopefully.

"oh, cedric i..." i see his face fall slightly, "no i would, i would love to it's just that-"

"someone's already asked you?"

"well, no.. not exactly" he raises his eyebrow, "i have been hoping draco would ask me"

"but he hasn't? right?"

"well, yeah but-"

"but i'm asking right now" he frowns slightly, now shutting his book all the way

"and i greatly appreciate that cedric" i reach out, placing my hand on his arm, "i really do. i just.. i want to go with draco" i sigh, "i had assumed he would have asked me by now but, i'm sure he will" i give him a small smile

"i understand" he nods, although he sighs slightly as he does, "i should have known you two were going together" he smiles, opening back up his book. after a few minutes, he speaks again, "i think i'll ask cho. from ravenclaw?" he looks over at me, "she's really nice. real pretty too"