chapter 7

back in my dorm, i throw on a knitted sweater, jeans, a pair of sneakers, and grab a hat for good measure. it's already getting a little chilly outside. i use a small mirror on my bedside table to do some makeup and pin my hair in a half-up half-down hair do, before grabbing a bag to put my hat and other things in. i wait for daphne to finish getting ready before we head down to the common room together. when we get there, pansy, blaise, crabbe, draco, and goyle are waiting for us. we all join together and head down to the courtyard to meet the rest of our class.

"where do you reckon we ought to go first?" i say to draco as we lag behind the rest of the group

"i could care less" he shrugs

"you don't have to act like such a prick around me, you know?" i snicker, "you already broke your cover last night"

"i told you to let that go" he hisses under his breath, "i'm already dreading the boys asking me why buckbeak's been cleared" i laugh a little and he rolls his eyes, clearly not as amused as i am.

"we can go to honeydukes, like you had said the other day" he finally says, stuffing his hands in his pants pockets as we walk outside. the air is quite a lot colder than i expected, and i shiver.

"i should grab a coat" i say, beginning to turn around.

"you won't make it back in time" draco stops me, "here, i have a coat in my bag" he reaches down, pulling a long black coat from the bag on his shoulder and handing it to me.

"that's alright" i push it back towards him, "i'll suffer"

"suit yourself" he shrugs, throwing the jacket back into his bag. in all honesty i would've liked to take it, maybe if it wasn't his. rumors spread around this school like a wildfire, and i don't need anyone making assumptions, especially pansy.

__________________________

"okay students! hand over your permission slips!" professor mcgonagall hollers, "and remember, if you do not have one signed you cannot come on the trip" she says as students line up to hand her their slips.

draco and i are next in line, handing our slips quickly to the professor and then running back to the rest of the group.

"mr. malfoy!" she yells from behind us. draco curses under his breath as he turns back to face her, "i'm afraid you will not be able to attend trips to hogsmeade until you have this formed signed" she waves his slip in the air, "properly." she leaves emphasis on that last word and i can't help but smirk. i told him he would get caught.

draco walks up and takes the permission slip from her, sulking past her back into the building. i seem to be the only one of our friends who gives it a second thought, guess i'm the most compassionate of the group. not surprising, i suppose, we are all slytherins.

"professor" i turn away from my friends, walking up to mcgonagall, "if it's alright, i'd like to stay here today"

she gives me a quizzical look, "why miss y/l/n.. your slip was just fine"

"i- i know i'm just.." i pause, "not feeling well. that's all"

"well alright" professor mcgonagall nods, "hopefully you will be able to join us next week" she walks away, heading to the front of the group.

"hey pansy!" i shout and she turns back to me, "could you buy somethings for me in town today?"

"sure" she runs over to me, "what do you need"

i write her a quick list of the candy i want from honeydukes, as well as the tea i want from madam puddifoot's to send my mother. i thank her and then say goodbye to the others, running back quickly inside and down towards the dungeons.