chapter 38

today's the day.

the task begins after lunch, leaving me the whole morning to stress out. i eat breakfast with daphne and pansy, not mentioning what happened with draco and i last night.

"hey, champion" i look up to see draco walking smugly towards us, flanked by crabbe and goyle. they take seats across from us, "ready for today?"

"s'pose i don't really have a choice, do i?" i look up at him. he opens his mouth but shuts it, looking at me seriously. i can tell he's nervous, but is doing his best to hide it.

"good luck today, y/n!" some older slytherin's shout to me as they walk past, taking their seats down the table, "bring us back that trophy"

i smile slightly, it has gotten better over the past week. the slytherins have started to come around to having myself as their champion. the rest of the school doesn't seem to fond of the idea though, but i've learned to deal.

"i doubt you'll win today" crabbe chuckles, draco tries to contain a laugh but it's just escaping his mouth as i look over.

"crabbe, seriously?" daphne glares at him, "and you too, draco" she rolls her eyes while leaning in towards them, "of all the days to be complete asses you had to choose today?"

"they're right daphne" i laugh a little, "against krum? or cedric? they're two years ahead of us. all i'm hoping for is not dying"

"and cross your fingers you can even manage that" draco smirks. both daphne and i glare at him, but the smug look remains on his face. he meets my eyes and his smile intensifies, before he shrugs and looks back at his plate, starting up a conversation with goyle.

"don't mind him" daphne whispers, "i heard him talking with blaise this morning in the common room... turns out he was with some girl last night. like he needs anymore of an ego boost" she rolls her eyes, "he's probably still high off thinking someone fancies him. although i can't imagine who in their right mind could bear to be with draco" she chuckles slightly. definitely don't want to tell daphne that i'm that girl he was with now

"yeah.." i awkwardly laugh, keeping my gaze on him. 

"i mean, don't get me wrong" daphne continues in her hushed voice, "he's by far one of the most attractive boys here, you know, looks wise" i take a deep breath as i watch him laugh, and smile while talking to his friends, feeling my chest tighten, "but even you must admit his personality can be dreadful" i nod slightly, not truly listening to what she's saying, as i'm still looking at him. he must feels my eyes on him, because he turns his gaze slightly to meet my eyes, giving a soft smile before looking back at goyle.

what have i gotten myself into.

__________________________

draco's pov

"what do you think they were whispering about all breakfast?" i say to crabbe and goyle as we walk down the corridor, in a pack with the rest of the slytherin house. we're on the way to the arena, getting seats for the first task

"i dunno" crabbe shrugs

"don't practically care either" goyle says. they both laugh loudly, and stupidly, while i sigh. they're absolutely useless.

we walk out onto the grounds, the quidditch pitch not to far in the distance. pansy and daphne catch up with us, saying they just said goodbye to y/n. they say she had to go off separately, had an interview before they would take her and the other champions. we take our seats and wait nervously for the competition to start.

"i'll be right back" i say to crabbe, patting him on the back and starting to get up

"where are you going?" daphne says, looking up at me

"that any of your business?" i spit back, raising my eyebrows quickly at her. she jumps back slightly, an angry look on her face as i climb down the bleachers, jogging down once i reach the stairs.

__________________________

your pov

we're all in a little tent attached to the arena. fleur is in the corner, looking like she's going to be ill any second. krum just stands with his arms crossed, trying too hard to be intimidating. cedric hasn't stopped pacing the whole time, mumbling to himself every now and then. harry looks stressed as he sits down next to me on the bench, both of us praying we will be able to handle ourselves out there.

"this is some sick joke isn't it?" i say, looking at harry

"what d'you mean?" he furrows his brow

"whoever put our names in" i explain, "must be some highly troubled person to put us through this"

"or someone with an agenda" harry whispers with a sigh. i'm about to reply when i hear a shuffling behind us. eager to investigate and get my mind off things, i stand up, checking to make sure none of the adults are in the room before peaking my head outside of the tent.

"malfoy?" i say, seeing draco standing on the other side of the curtain, looking as though he was reaching to open it as well, "what are you doing here?" i whisper, ducking under the curtain and going completely outside

"i wanted to wish you luck" he says as he puts his hands firmly into his pockets, and looks up at me.

"you've done that already" i tilt my head and he clears his throat a bit

"i um.. wanted to do it again" he says, "lord knows you need all the luck you can get"

"did you really come down all this way just to tease me?" i smile a little

draco chuckles slightly, kicking at the rocks on the ground. he looks back up at me, taking his hand out of his pockets to fix his hair.

"good luck, y/n" he comes up to me quickly, wrapping his arms around my waist and bringing me against his chest. the hug is short, as he pulls away almost instantly with a sigh.

"stop acting like you're never going to see me again" i search his face, trying to get him to look at me. he seems more stressed out than i am.

"just, be careful" he looks down, "promise?" he looks back up, his eyes wide

"i promise, okay?" i chuckle, "now stop freaking me out" i nudge his shoulder, pushing him backwards, "go back to the stands, malfoy" i smile a little as i back into the tent, leaving draco standing outside.

"what was that?" harry says from the bench next to me

"just someone wishing me luck" i smile, still looking at the curtain. i'm pulled out of it by mr. bagman entering, beginning to give us our instructions.

__________________________

sorry this chapter is a little ~short~ i was kinda busy today. for the next chapter do you guys want what y/n does in the task like in detail or just like a summary of what everyone does in the task? please comment lol cause then i can write it soon and get it out tomorrow morning.

vote/comment/share ! xx

p.s. thank you for 21k reads!