chapter 13

a couple days go by after our dinner at malfoy manor, and then we're back on the train to hogwarts. i sit with daphne, blaise, and draco in a compartment. none of us have seen pansy yet but we aren't looking forward to when we do, for draco's sake.

"you really didn't write her all break?" blaise says

"nope" draco shakes his head

"good way to cut her off mate" blaise laughs, patting draco on the shoulder

"you're disgusting blaise" i roll my eyes, leaning back in the seat and stretching out my legs, putting them on the seat between blaise and draco. blaise just shrugs, grabbing a chocolate frog and unwrapping it.

daphne taps me on the shoulder and i look over, seeing pansy walking past in the corridor. we see her glance over for a moment, looking as though she may enter, but when she sees draco she keeps walking.

"i'll be right back" i say, not waiting for a response before exiting the cabin, following pansy down the hall.

"hey pansy!" i yell after her, getting her to turn around, "you alright?" i say as i reach her in the hall. 

"i think i'm okay" she shrugs, "i just don't want to speak to him yet. honestly i don't want to talk about it at all. think it's better we just move past it like it didn't happen" i nod, "could you actually tell him that? i'd rather he'd not bring it up" she goes red in the face, looking down at her shoes.

"sure i can pans" i smile, "just let me know what you need"

"thanks" she smiles at me

"oh and thanks for chipping in for my christmas gift" i laugh, "plus draco wouldn't have known to get it had you not mentioned it"

"what do you mean?" she says, furrowing her brow

"the robe... that i tried on in gladrags" i say, even more confused than she is, "draco said you all contributed to get it for me for christmas"

she just sighs, "i don't have a clue what you're on about y/n. but if he had people chip in he sure didn't ask me" she says with a stern look on her face, turning on her heels and walking away.

__________________________

the rest of the train ride i'm wracking my brain, thinking of what pansy said. maybe draco really just didn't have her pay, but i'm thinking he's probably lying about the whole thing. i guess it doesn't matter really, but he could've just told me he bought it. i would've felt awful though, he shouldn't be spending that money on me. by the time we arrive at hogwarts, i still haven't decided if i ought to ask him about it or not.

when we arrive at school, we go into the great hall for dinner. the food is always especially good when we come back from christmas holiday. i sit between draco and blaise, while daphne and pansy sit across from us. crabbe is next to draco and goyle is across from him. we all just make small talk, mostly about what we did over break and what we got for christmas. when we list our gifts, i can see draco fiddling with the ring i got him, but he doesn't mention it to the others.

__________________________

on our walk to the common room, i walk in the front of the group with draco, whispering that pansy said she doesn't want to talk about him not writing her. he looks very happy that he's off the hook.

we're all pretty tired from the journey, so we spend very little time playing chess before going up to bed. daphne, pansy and i go over our schedules for this term, figuring what classes we have together. i have care of magical creatures first thing in the morning, which neither of them have until the afternoon. we all have second period free and then defense of the dark arts together third. then lunch, and i have another free period before my muggle studies class for 2 hours, which neither of them take at all. we all have charms and herbology together tuesday and thursday, and transfiguration friday mornings. i'll have to check the guys schedules during breakfast tomorrow. we all get out the books we will need for tomorrow and tuck into bed, chatting quietly as we all drift to sleep.