chapter 21

"nope, i still haven't heard back from him" i say, sitting on my bed. daphne and pansy sit on armchairs in my room, looking at me with absolute shock.

"what an asshole" pansy says, scrunching her face in disgust

"he only spends every waking moment with you for the last month of school, seems pleased about seeing you over the summer, and then when you write to him asking to set up a day he just... doesn't respond?" daphne adds, seeming just as confused as i am

"i would understand if they were still in geneva" pansy shrugs, "but they've been home for weeks now. they only went the first week of break"

"i don't know" i sigh, "but i've stopped expecting a response. clearly however he acted towards me at school was just a fluke"

"well.. i'm sorry about that" daphne frowns, "we'll get him back once we return" both her and pansy smirk, laughing somewhat manically. i join in, chuckling as we imagine the rath blaise will feel if he doesn't write me all break. it feels like draco all over again.

"y/n may i-" my mum walks in my room, "hi girls, sorry i had forgotten you were here" she smiles at daphne and pansy, who wave and say hello, "y/n we've been invited to the malfoy's for dinner tonight. we're leaving in an hour"

"okay mum, have fun" i smile slightly, not wanting to hear anything more about the malfoy family

"ohhhh no" she laughs, "you're coming to" she begins to shut the door, but then pops back in, "wear the dress robe draco got you, always a kind gesture to wear gifts from the hosts when you visit" she nods, shutting the door and yelling from the hall, "good seeing you girls!!"

"bye mrs y/l/n" daphne and pansy respond in unison, before looking back at me

"you haven't-"

"spoken to him?" i shake my head, "no" i sigh, looking at the dress robe hung in my closet, "but it looks like i'm going to have to" i unconsciously spin the charm i still wear around my neck between my fingers, biting my lip nervously

"it was from him, wasn't it?" pansy says, i look over at her, confused, before realizing she's referring to the necklace. i nod slightly and she smiles at me in pity, all of us nervous for my outing to malfoy manor.

__________________________

"i really have to go?" i ask my mum again as she gets me from my room. i'm now all ready, with a black dress and heels that match the purple of my robes.

"yes!" my mum says, tired of me asking, "what is your problem today? you and draco are great friends, are you not?" she looks at me as i put on the dress robes, raising her eyebrow

"uh, yeah" i nod, "yeah we are"

"good then it shouldn't be an issue" she's gotten quite cross with me, worried we will be late. i finish dressing and check my hair and makeup before allowing her to bring me downstairs, where my father apparates us to malfoy manor.

i walk in slowly, trailing behind my parents as the large doors open into the entrance hall. i twirl my ring around my finger anxiously, peering over my parents shoulders to see if the malfoy's are coming. over my father's head, i can see lucius's platinum hair emerge, and i take a deep breath, not knowing what the night has in store.

__________________________

"how have you been?" i say after an awkward moment of silence. our parents having withdrawn to the sitting room again, just like last time, leaving draco and i on our own.

"been alright" he shrugs, his face staying expressionless. i rock back and forth on my heels, looking around at anything besides draco, "and you?"

"alright" i reply, looking at him for a moment.

"you wore the robe" he says, making eye contact with me

"my mum made me" i say, crossing my arms and starting to walk down the hall

"i have wizard's chess set up in the second floor if you'd like" i can hear draco's footsteps behind me.

i turn to face him, my arms still crossed tightly across my chest, "so do you think you can just.. what? not talk to me for two months and then everything will go back to normal?"

draco looks taken aback, he's mouth hanging open slightly as he tries to find the words, " i just thought-"

"well you thought wrong draco. i forgave you last summer, but this is ridiculous! you cut m off over some silly comments bletchley made-"

"no i didn't i-"

"then what was it?" i say, throwing my arms up in the air. i breath heavily, trying to calm myself as draco steps towards me, his hands fidgeting nervously.

"blaise asked me to" he says, quietly

"that's rich" i scoff, "blaise hasn't spoken to me either"

"he hasn't?" draco fixes his hair, his brow furrowing in confusion, "why wouldn't he..."

"i've been thinking the same thing" i laugh, turning back away from him and beginning to climb the stairs

"but he liked you. threatened me if i didn't back off.."

"back off?" i turn back to him, seeing his cheeks turn red

"not like that- i didn't...like you.. in the way he did" draco clears his throat, "he just told me to spend less time with you, that's all, so that he could spend more time with you"

"well in that respect his plan worked. although the lack of contact over the summer really has kicked him out of my good graces"

"he really hasn't written to you?" i glare at him and he shuts up, following me up the stairs to the other sitting room where he has his chess set out.

"well if blaise is no longer interested, i suppose he won't mind if i spend time with you again" draco says as he sits down in a large green armchair, "right?"

"i guess so" i shrug, so far not to keen on the idea of spending time with him anyways

"fantastic" draco's face instantly lights up, "i have so much to catch you up on" he soon begins talking a mile a minute, relaying every detail of his summer so far to me. my brain can hardly keep up with the words as they spill out of his mouth, one after the other. as he speaks, i can't help but start to care again, care about what he's saying, care about his life, care about him. as a friend, of course. i tell myself to stop making excuses for him, to not let things like this slide, but as he smiles widely while telling me about his trip to spain, and how he had loads of photographs he had wanted to send me, i feel the need to engage again, and laugh along with him as he recounts his summer. by the time we're called down for dinner, i've completely forgotten why i was upset with him in the first place. i guess that's part of draco's charm, isn't it? i'll practically forgive him for anything.

__________________________

little bit of a shorter chapter this morning but i plan on posting again tonight. i've been trying to keep a 10 am + 10 pm schedule for posting (or at least around those times). that might change once i go back to school obviously but i will still try for at least one post a day (dw i don't go back until sept 14 and we're virtual, not in person until october, so twice daily updates will be around for a bit longer).

leave any suggestions for their year four journey in the comments! glad you're all enjoying!! vote/comment/share :) xoxo