chapter 51

"draco hi-"

"what were you doing with him in an empty classroom?" he cuts me off as i approach him in the hallway, i look down and see his fists clenched and he looks over my shoulder, at cedric walking away down the corridor, "diggory want to get in a quickie before-"

"okay draco let's not be crude" i cut him off, shoving him forward slightly, "we were just practicing for-"

"for what?" he looks back at me

i glare at him, lowering my voice to draw attention away from us, "for the task. we're working on a charm"

"and you had to do it alone?" he raises his eyebrows

"i don't know if you've noticed but, there's only three other people competing, and two of them go to rival schools. so we're not about to practice with them" i say, trying to end the conversation. i start to walk down the hallway, but draco comes after me, walking by my side.

"well what about potter? shouldn't you practice with him?"

"you concerned about harry being left out?" i frown, mocking him, "that's sweet, malfoy"

"that's not what i-"

"harry hasn't figured out the clue yet. that's why he wasn't with us" i tilt my head, "seriously, draco. he's just helping me with a spell"

"yeah, i'm sure that's not all he's helping you with" draco mumbles

"will you stop it!" i raise my voice at him, hitting his shoulder with the back of my hand, "cedric's my friend"

"he's only your friend 'cause he wants to snog you" draco rolls his eyes

"really? is that what you think?"

"yeah-"

"my personalities so unbearable that he has to want to snog me to be my friend-"

"well- no, thats-"

"is that why you're friends with me, draco?" i stop short, crossing my arms, "because you want to snog me?" he continues for a second before realizing i've stopped, and turns to face me with his eyes wide.

"that's not what i meant-"

"are you just biding your time until i give in and kiss you again?" i raise my eyebrows, "news flash, malfoy, it's not going to happen"

"y/n will you listen to me-"

"i'll see you in class" i scoff, pushing past him and turning the corner, making my way to potions without him.

__________________________

"i swear he's an absolute-"

"hush" pansy interrupts me, "calm down for a second"

i take a breath, "i swear he's an absolute-" i start again, slightly quieter

"fix the tone" daphne says, stirring in her mandrake root

"he's taken everything out of context" i shake my head, continuing to work on my own potion, "and then to suggest that cedric only talks to me to snog me-" i cut myself off seeing the skeptical looks on the girls faces, "okay well, yes, he's tried once but we were friends before that"

"i think draco was just trying to look out for you" daphne says, "in his own... special way"

"she means his rude comments are his version of advice" pansy adds

"exactly" daphne nods, "even i think spending this much time with cedric is a little risky. we know he has- or at least had- some sort of feelings for you. they could come back up again and you'll lose him as a friend all together"