chapter 50

today is the start of term. over the past week since draco and i made up, things have been going pretty well. no fights, no arguments. it's pretty much the bare minimum, but for us it's good. we're all walking down to breakfast together, not excited to have to get up for classes again. i was walk, talking with draco, i see cedric out of the corner of my eye, sitting down at his table. we haven't really talked since we figured out the clue, just little conversations here and there if we saw each other in the hallway. i decide that i'll approach him by the end of the week. i need his help to learn the charm for the task, and besides, i miss having him as a friend.

"this subject is dreadful" i sigh, sitting next to draco in arithmancy. he's slumped against his hand, barely having completed any of his problems

"we should've dropped it this term" he shakes his head, sitting back up, "gotten a free period"

i look back over my shoulder at hermione, who has already completed the lesson and moved on to next classes assignment, "how does she do it" i sigh, turning back forward. i remind myself to ask her for help later on today.

as we head to magical creatures, pansy runs up behind us, pushing between draco and i

"you'll like to see this" she nods to draco, handing him the paper. i see him smirk, laughing a little as he reads it. pansy is smiling too

"what is it?" i lean over, but draco moves the paper away

"nothing you would be interested in" he shrugs, folding it and putting it in his bag

"you don't know that" i slow my pace, ducking around behind him and pansy to come around his other side, reaching in his bag, and pulling out the paper

"hey-!" he starts, reaching toward me, but i've spun around away from him, holding the paper tightly in my grip as i read.

'Dumbledore's Giant Mistake' the headline reads. i don't have to read the rest to know what it's about.

"no" i sigh, looking at draco, "is this about hagrid?"

"did you get to draco's quote?!" goyle says excitedly, running up to join us, "it's the best part"

"you have a quote in here?" i scold him, looking back at the paper. i see his smirk fade, as he turns and glares at goyle.

"sorry malfoy" he mumbles, moving over next to pansy.

"i was attacked by a hippogriff" i quote from the paper. draco reaches his arm around me, trying to grab it again, but i move it away from him, "crabbe got a bad bite off a flobberworm?!" i scoff, "that one's just a lie draco"

"c'mon give it back" draco whines, wrapping his arms around me to try and get the paper out of my grip. i laugh a little, trying to move away from him

"we all hate hagrid??" i chuckle even louder, "goyle's right, this is hilarious"

"will you stop" draco reaches over me, his head resting on my shoulder as he finally manages to grab the paper

"what? it's written in the paper for everyone to see" i spin around to face him, looking up at him before he can get the paper out of my hands

"stop" he hisses, looking down at me sternly. our friends have all kept walking, and it's just us staring at each other

"when are you going to stop being such an asshole, malfoy" i smirk at him, pushing the paper against his chest. i back away, leaving the paper to fall down into his hands. i laugh a little, "c'mon, don't wanna be late to meet our new teacher" i roll my eyes, spinning around and continuing down the hill.