chapter 34

what the hell has my life become

is all i can think of until i wake the next morning. i get dressed, basically still in a trance, only giving short answers to daphne and pansy

"i'm going to breakfast" i say quietly, standing up and exiting the dorm without waiting for their reply. through the common room, a couple of younger students congratulate me, and i say a quiet thanks. the older students ignore me for the most part. i step through the exit and into the hallway, and with a deep breath begin walking up to the great hall.

in the hall, all eyes turn to me when i enter. i feel my cheeks flush red and i give a modest smile to those who say hi to me, trying to get to my table as quickly as possible. i see draco sitting down, by himself, at the end of the slytherin bench. i push past a few of my classmates to get to him quicker, taking a seat right across from him.

"hello" i say cautiously, trying to gauge his attitude this morning. he looks up at me, squints slightly, looks like he's about to say something, and then looks back down, "draco?" i say

"y/n i don't want to be angry with you, and if i speak to you right now, it's not going to be pretty" he says sharply, looking back in my eyes, "please, just..." he sighs, "i'll speak to you later?"

"....okay" i say, clearing my throat. we sit awkwardly in silence while we eat, until our other friends arrive and lighten the mood.

_________________________

"he wouldn't speak to me at breakfast" i explain to daphne as we sit in the library, "i didn't want to push him too far, i fear he's rather angry with me"

"but for what?" daphne says, "he can't believe this is your fault, can he?"

"he didn't even give me a chance to explain that i didn't place my name in the goblet" i sigh, putting my books down. i can't focus on studying right now.

"well you must tell him!" daphne rolls her eyes

"if he won't speak to me, how can i tell him?"

_________________________

on monday, we have herbology (care of magical creature is cancelled beforehand as the skrewts are acting up). it's the first i've really seen of draco since the whole.. goblet incident. i walk into class by myself, as draco didn't spend the period we got off with me, like he usually would. i see draco standing by our station, and immediately walk up to him, but blaise beats me too it, and i'm pushed down to work with a boy from hufflepuff.

incidents similar to this happen all week, with blaise butting in to work with draco before i even get the chance to speak to him.. like he's helping draco avoid me. i try and move on, meeting up with cedric during free periods trying to work out what the first task will be.

a couple of weeks after our names are drawn, the school starts to become divided. most want cedric to win, as they think harry and i cheated our names in, and they begin making pins.. although most are aimed against harry, not me. i guess i am secretly greatly he got chosen as well, so i don't have to deal with it all alone (or rather, not all of the heat lands on me).

i'm walking through the courtyard with harry, after charms class, trying to calm him down from a rather nasty fight with ron, when we're rudely interrupted by my.. former.. friends.

"there they are. cheats." crabbe mumbles, pointing in our direction

"why so tense, potter? y/l/n?" i hear blaises voice add in, "worried about the tournament?" he walks towards us, the other slytherin boys gathering behind him in a pack, "you see, we all have a little bet going. seeing which one of you will drop first. my moneys on you, y/l/n" he sneers, "crabbe disagrees. he's being cautiously optimistic that you'll pull out a win for slytherin" they all cackle nastily, jabbing at each other while glaring at us

"i don't give a damn about your bet blaise" i snap back, walking quickly toward him, "you're all vile and cruel. honestly it's downright pathetic. we used to be friends"

"that was before you cheated your way into the tournament" blaise spits back

"shut it, zabini" i hear a voice from above, and look up to see draco sitting in the tree overhead, "leave her alone" he drops down, landing smoothly and walking through the other boys, "get out of here potter"

"i think i'll stay" harry says from behind me. draco scowl slightly, but doesn't retort as he's interrupted by blaise speaking again

"so why'd you do it y/l/n? for attention? think it'd get pretty-boy diggory to notice you?"

"now that's going too far" i practically yell, pulling out my wand without thinking and sticking it under blaise's chin.

"y/n put your wand down" draco says from behind me, somewhat quietly

"oh now you want to speak to me?" i whirl around to draco, leaving blaise whimpering against the tree, "want to act like my 'hero' in my time of need but don't even have the decency to ask how i am for two? whole? weeks?" i'm screaming now, walking towards draco with my wand pointed at him.

"y/n just leave him be" i hear harry's voice, and i'm snapped out of my anger. i look around me, seeing quite the crowd has gathered around us, "he's not worth it" harry whispers. i nod and tuck my wand back into my robes, grabbing my bag of the ground and walking quickly away with harry.

_________________________

i have a long walk back to the dungeon's to calm down, i even take the longest possible route... mostly because i'm trying to avoid as many people as possible. i get back into the common room and it's pretty empty, i think most people are in class, i have a free period. i can't bring myself to go to the library today, so instead i just go up to my dorm, settling for studying in there.

i walk into the dorm, looking through my bag for my charms textbook-

"i was going to write a letter for you to meet me... but then i thought you might not come"

i look up to see draco sitting down on my bed, his hands clasped together in his lap as he spins his snitch ring around his finger, looking the most nervous i've ever seen him.

"that was a good call" i say, somewhat sternly, sitting on daphne's bed so i can face draco.

draco looks up, meeting my eyes, "can we talk?"

_________________________

hehe :) next chapter will be out tonight!

vote/comment/share ! xx