chapter 55

i stagger towards the great hall, my head in a frenzy after what i just witnessed in snape's classroom. i smooth down my robes before entering lunch, spotting all of my friends sitting at our usual spot on the slytherin table. daphne, pansy, and crabbe are seated on one side, with draco and goyle across from them. i walk over quickly, taking a seat next to draco.

"where were you?" daphne says, lifting her glass of pumpkin juice and raising her eyebrow

"spilt something" i mumble, "had to clean it up" i drop my bag down, looking at my food wordlessly while everyone else's conversations continue. i pick at my food slightly, feeling sick to my stomach and unable to eat anything. when the lunch bell finally rings, i quickly grab my things and start walking out to charms class.

"y/l/n" i look behind me in the corridor, seeing draco running up to me. our other classmates all continue walking past us, as we stand still amongst the sea of the crowd, "what happened?" he says seriously, crossing his arms. i look around us, the halls still full of students

"not here" i shake my head, grabbing his hand and pulling him down a separate corridor, taking every secret twist and turn i know until we're in an abandoned staircase, completely alone

"you're freaking me out a little" draco says, pulling his hand out of mine

"in snape's classroom, after everyone left" i struggle to get the words out, knowing that once i make the accusation there's no going back, "karkaroff... he showed snape his arm" i say slowly, "his left arm"

draco's eyes widen and he leans back against the wall, "you're not saying...?"

"he said it's darker than before. clearer than it's ever been since..."

"the war?" draco finishes. i nod. draco fixes his hair, his brows furrowed in thought.

"have you spoken to your father recently-?"

"no" draco says shortly, "i haven't"

"at the world cup, draco" i say, looking up into his eyes, "you knew it was going to happen" i finally express what's been plaguing my thought's every since that night. how draco insisted we left, his father disappearing. draco looks up at me, narrowing his eyes

"to some extent" he whispers, "i had overheard things"

i nod, obviously wanting to believe he was only acting on suspicion, not having any concrete knowledge of what was to happen that night.

"if he's back-"

"we'll be fine" he says calmly

"obviously" i hiss, "but half the school won't be" he says nothing, "seriously, draco?" i cross my arms, "are you not concerned-"

"i don't have a choice, y/n" he face hardens, "if he comes back..." he sighs, looking up and down the staircase, "look karkaroff's probably just hoping the mark's darker, imagining it, you know?" he gives a weak smile, placing his hand on my arm, moving his thumb back and forth in an effort to comfort me, "i'm sure it's nothing to worry about"

i breath out shakily, nodding my head and uncrossing my arms. i feel draco's hand wrapping around my back, pulling me against him.

"it'll all be fine" he says again, quietly, although he sounds less confident this time. he hugs me tightly one last time, before letting go, "better get to class"

__________________________

let's just say the possibility of the dark lord rising again is quite the way to kill the mood.

in charm's class, draco doesn't joke around like he normal does. i think everyone in our group can tell something is off, but no one brings it up. i try and keep my spirits up, not wanting questions from daphne or pansy.