chapter 9

"what's this?" pansy smiles innocently, grabbing the necklace charm and turning it over between her fingers.

i snap out of my trance, looking down and realizing what's happening, "oh it's.." i search for the words, "just a necklace?" even i sound unsure of myself, don't know how she's meant to believe me.

"where'd you get it?" she raises her eyebrow

"here in hogsmeade" i say quickly. i curse to myself, knowing i sound like a fool. i thought slytherin's were meant to be good at lying.

"haven't seen you wearing it before and we haven't gone jewelry shopping here" she smirks, finally letting go of the necklace, but still holding my gaze, "someone sent it to you, didn't they?"

"someone sent you something?" daphne says as she rounds the corner, coming with more robes for me to try.

"it's nothing" i attempt to laugh it off, turning to face her.

"it is not nothing" pansy exclaims, jumping over towards daphne, "y/n has got quite the nice piece of jewelry around her neck and won't tell me who it's from"

"a secret admirer?" daphne smiles widely, dropping the robs onto a chair and running towards me, "i'm intrigued"

she reaches for the necklace, and i let her. no point in hiding it under my sweater now. she observes it and agrees with pansy that it's very nice, and insists i tell them where it's from.

i try everything, saying its from my mum, my grandma, my uncle, but they see right through it.

they act like if they don't solve this... the world's going to end. we change, pansy and daphne buying new robes and me sadly leaving my dream robe behind, and they still keep guessing people all the way to meet our friend's at the three broomsticks.

__________________________

we've been sitting with the guys for about 15 minutes before disaster strikes.

"do any of you lot know who fancies y/n?" pansy says out of the blue. caught of guard, i almost spit out my butterbeer, but manage to contain myself and swallow it quickly.

"pansy" i mutter under my breath, elbowing her.

"what?" she smirks, "if you won't tell us, maybe one of them know"

"what're you on about?" blaise says, clearly confused

"don't worry about-"

"don't listen to her" daphne interrupts me, "she's got a saturn necklace on and won't tell us who its from" i gulp, trying to avoid everyone's eye contact.

"you're kidding" blaise says, and i can hear the smirk in his voice.

i look back up, seeing draco has gone white in the face. he catches my eye and glares, narrowing his eyes at me before lifting his mug and taking a long sip.

the boys all agree that they have no idea who would have sent it to me. even draco chimes in.

"no one fancies her" he says as he throws his empty mug down onto the table, "if someone did, she would tell you" he makes eye contact with me for a moment, he scowl faltering for a second before he looks away

"that's a good point" pansy sighs, giving up the subject for the rest of our outing.

__________________________

it's pretty late after we finish dinner in the great hall. we all spend time playing wizard chess in the common room before slowly leaving to go to sleep. i grab draco and pull him into one of the side rooms before he disappears to his dorm.

"you didn't tell them about the necklace?" he says, as soon as we're out of the other's earshot

"well... no" i shrug, a little confused, "i didn't think you would want me to"

"right" he clears his throat, "well then.. thanks i guess"

"yeah" i say awkwardly

"did you have something to say to me?" he crosses his arms

"huh?"

"you're the one who pulled me in here" his face hardens

"oh um" i had been planning on saying something about how he said no one fancied me but... the moment seems to have passed, "no no that was it"

without another word, draco gives a weak smile and turns away, walking through the door. before it swings closed i can see him walk to the boys staircase and i sigh. he said no one fancied me. it feels stupid now that i feel hurt, it's not like i'm interested in him but...

i shake off the weird feeling and leave the room too, going quickly up to bed. i stay up with the girls talking through some notes before our potions test tomorrow, before we all drift off to sleep.

it feel as though draco doesn't speak to me for a week after that.

__________________________

this chapter is SUPER short but i'm posting a second part RIGHT NOW bc it's the same thing but from draco's pov... so together they're like the length of a normal chapter yk :) ok thanks read the next part xoxo