chapter 67

i don't think i ever want to go to a party again. it's too stressful.

i try and focus on cedric, dancing with me, surrounded by our fellow classmates... but i can't. i can't get my mind off of him. i was doing so well, all summer, ignoring the nagging feeling telling me to open the letters, to let him apologize. seeing him again... i don't know how much longer i'll be able to ignore it. it doesn't help hearing whispers about him everywhere. every girl saying how smashing he looks, admiring him as he dances around the room.

"wish he would dance with me" i hear a a fourth year mumble to a friend

"shame he's hooking up with parkinson now" her friend replies, smirking slightly as draco walks past, grabbing a drink off the table, "i would give anything to-"

i turn away, not wanting to hear anymore. i watch as draco walks through the room, every boy saying hi to him and every girl goggling over him. must be nice to be draco malfoy.

the night drifts away, people getting either more wild or more groggy the more drinks they pour down their throats. it would've been a fun evening, if i wasn't constantly checking over my shoulder to see if he was there. but i haven't seen him since he entered, and i'm thankful for that. my mind would retreat back into those happy memories, making me want to forgive and forget.

cedric leaves me for just a minute, heading upstairs to find a bathroom. we had made our way into one of the other sitting rooms a few minutes ago, which is packed with people dancing and singing along to the music. i find daphne in here, and lean up against her in the corner, my head resting on her shoulder.

"this is exhausting" i say in her ear, making sure she can hear me over the music

"tell me about it" she shakes her head, "i miss first year when we weren't invited to any parties" we both start to laugh, but are interrupted by a disruption from the next room over.

(picture why don't we go there - 1D playing)

"i love this song" there comes a shout, followed by a loud crash. i think we both recognize the voice, and instinctively moves toward it. it takes a few steps before we can see over the crowd in front of us, and of course it's him. he's absolutely wasted, and if the way he looks wasn't enough to tell that, he's just knocked a plant pot over.

since i saw him earlier, he's gotten considerably more disheveled. the top three buttons of his shirt are undone, and his tie hangs loosely around his neck. his hair is no longer pushed up, now laying messily over his forehead. my mind starts to drift, thinking of the morning we woke up together on the astronomy tower...

"you've got to be kidding me" daphne snickers, moving further up to get a better look. she grabs my hand, pulling me along with her, and i snap my mind back into reality.

"daphne-"

"we're just going to have a look" she rolls her eyes, and soon we've pushed through the rows of people, and are standing at the front of the crowd.

and there he is, dancing on the kitchen countertop like an idiot, singing along to the music. he would be making a complete fool of himself if he didn't look fantastic tonight. it takes everything in me not to stare. i can hear girls throughout the crowd giggling, fawning over him as he sings louder and louder. i hate to admit it, but he's actually not half bad. his words are slurred slightly, though, and he stumbles every now and then, threatening to fall off.

"someone's had too much to drink" daphne laughs, shaking her head

"even this is a lot for him" i say quietly, crossing my arms and watching as he walks down the countertop towards us, holding his wand to his lips and acting like it's a microphone. i can feel myself being tempted, butterflies flying in my stomach as he screams confidently along to the song, swaying back and forth to the beat.