chapter 28

the next morning i'm the only one of my friends who has a class at 9 am, muggle studies. i get dressed bright and early, eat breakfast, and then head into class. hesitantly, i sit down next to hermione, but she doesn't seem to mind. we chat before class starts, both of us avoiding the incident at dinner last night. when class ends, we exchange kind goodbyes, and i'm glad to know our friendship isn't tarnished due to draco's behavior. i'm turned around, saying thank you to professor burbage, when i bang into someone in the hall.

"god i'm so-" i stop myself, looking up and seeing who it is

"shame we keep meeting like this" cedric smiles at me, "you should watch where you're walking"

i laugh, mostly out of embarrassment, "i'll work on that"

"come on" he nods down the hall, "where are you headed?"

"oh i have a free period" i say, keeping in stride with him away from my classroom

"me as well" he smiles, "any work you need to get done?"

"i have a paper for muggle studies on..." i flip open my book, seeing where i've written down the assignment, "why muggles need electricity?" i say in confusion, "you know anything about that?"

"i know loads" cedric says proudly, "i remember that paper, know where all the books for it are in the library as well" he waves to a group of kids in the hallway who yell out his name, my cheeks flush as they wave to me as well, "i can point them out to you if you'd like?" cedric says, looking back to me

"huh?" i say, distracted

"the books.. for your paper?" cedric says, smiling as we come to a stop outside of the library doors

"oh oh right!" i laugh, "yeah that'd be great"

he smiles once more, swinging open the doors and starting into the library. i follow him through the bookcases, eventually stopping in front of a shelf in the left side of the library, "should be around here somewhere" he mumbles, shuffling through the stacks of books, "ah! here" he pulls out an old, leatherbound book, labelled "technology of muggles and how they're used", "this books excellent" cedric smiles, "great help in the class. i had to check it out constantly"

he begins to walk further into the library, i expect he means for me to follow, as he hadn't handed me the book. i catch up to him in the corner, he's sitting down on the couch, "everything you need should be in here" he says as he flips through the book to the chapter on power sources, "i could help as well though, i've got nothing else to do"

"that would be lovely-"

"hey y/n i've gotten us-" i look back to see draco standing beside the bookcase, "oh... hello diggory" he scowls. i look back at cedric, and then at our surroundings, i hadn't even realized cedric had picked the back corner draco and i always meet at, and it had completely slipped my mind i was meant to meet him here today.

"cedric this is my friend, draco" i say awkwardly

"oh i know who he is" cedric says, standing from the couch, "you know where to find me, y/n. i can read your paper before you turn it in" he smiles at me, giving a slight nod to draco as he walks away, disappearing into the bookshelves.

"what was he doing here" draco says, walking around to in front of me

"he had offered to help me with my muggle studies work"

"and you brought him here?" he sounds hurt, crossing his arms

"well no, technically he choose this spot but-"

"whatever" draco tosses down a pile of sweets onto the table, "goyle got these delivered this morning, came in a pack with some other sweets but he doesn't like these ones. knew they were your favorite" he bites the inside of his cheek, looking at the pile and then back up at me, "enjoy writing your paper" he mutters, moving past me and then out of sight.