chapter 36

"dragons?" draco says as we walk through the corridor, "they have you up against dragon's?"

"will you keep your voice down?" i whisper, "we aren't supposed to know"

"sorry" draco mumbles, tucking his books back under his arm, "do you know which type of dragon?" he whispers back

"no. they couldn't get a good enough look, think there were multiple breeds" i go to grab the library door, but draco reaches above me and holds it open for me, "thanks, anyways, i think we're going to be given one at random"

"seriously? potter got a look at the competition and couldn't even-" i shoot him a glare, "we'll just have to read about all of them then" draco says firmly, walking with purpose towards the bookcases, "i'm sure in whatever case you'll manage"

"i would like if you said that with a bit more confidence" i laugh, coming up behind him in the shelves and leaning back against the desks

he pulls a couple books out as he speaks, "i'm nervous, alright? but they wouldn't put you up against anything they didn't think you can handle" he turns around, his arms piled with books, "at least i hope not"

"once again, you're not helping"

"oh shut it, i'll go back to not speaking to you if you'd like" he smirks sarcastically, and i roll my eyes at him

"c'mon malfoy" i nod towards our corner of the library, "let's get to work"

_________________________

draco works with me practically nonstop for all of that weekend, and during free periods the next week, only taking breaks from reading up on dragon's to complete our actual homework. daphne and pansy are glad to hear draco and i have worked things out, and i chat with them briefly to make sure they truly are okay with everything going on. after i have all my friendships sorted out, i'm able to focus all my energy in making sure i do well on the first task.

"peruvian vipertooth!"

"avoid the mouth, it has venomous fangs"

"swedish short-snout?"

"that has hotter flames than the others. not much to do about that accept hope i don't get hit"

"you know there's a better answer than that" draco looks at me disapprovingly

"i can't do this anymore, draco" i whine, "i'm tired! you've completely fried my brain"

"do you want the dragon to kill you?"

"what i want is to sleep" i lay down across the common room couch, my head landing slightly on top of draco's lap. i look up at him, but he doesn't seem bothered by it, still looking down into his book, so i don't move away.

"why aren't you taking this more seriously?" he shuts his book, "the task is only five days away-"

"i know, draco" i roll my eyes, "i am being serious, i promise. i just need rest. i'm no good if i haven't slept"

"fine. but we're resuming studying the morning"

"but it's saturday! we're meant to go to hogsmeade with everyone" i frown, looking up at him

he looks down at me, furrowing his brow in thought. he takes breath, "we can go for a little"

"dracoooo"

"no! we have to study we still haven't finished-" he goes to reach for another textbook and i sit up quickly, placing my hand over his and lowering the book onto the table

"odds are we've already covered the dragon i'll be facing" i plead with him, "please? it will be good to get my mind off of things. relax before the competition"