chapter 56

"well you've got these first planets all wrong" i look at draco's scroll, turning it around to face the right direction, "god what i would do for an eraser right now"

"a what?" he furrows his brow

"seriously, would it kill you to learn one thing about the muggle world?" i roll my eyes, laying his paper flat on the table and pulling out my wand, using a spell to take out a few of the markings draco's made.

"they're not even on the right line of orbit, draco" i groan, moving down off the couch to sit criss-cross on the floor, getting the table to be at a more comfortable height, "second in our class" i scoff, "sure you're dad's not paying for that title?"

"jesus" he slides down off the couch, sitting next to me, "i'm just not good at astrology, no need to dig into me like that"

"sorry" i mutter, "had a bit of a stressful day" i pull out my quill, starting to redraw markers and adjust draco's map. i can feel him move closer to me, leaning over to look at the map.

"how'd you do that" he points down at the most recent label i've done, for neptune.

"honestly if you'd listened in class it would be quite simple" i laugh, reaching over for one of the books, "you see, first you use this-"

"on second thought, i don't care that much" he says with a small smirk on his face, leaning his back against the couch, stretching his arms across it. i glare at him jokingly, letting my face fall into a smile afterwards as i go back to working on his map

"you almost done?"

"do you want me to help you or not" i glare back at him again, dropping my quill. he smirks in satisfaction, happy to have gotten a rise out of me.

"i can finish it later" he leans forward, his arm on the couch behind him slipping against my shoulders as he grabs his map, folding it back up neatly with one hand and tucking it between his textbook pages. he sets down the book, looking over at me thoughtfully, "your hair... it looks nice today" he finally says

"what?" i chuckle, turning and looking at him

"what?" he says back with a straight face

"what's wrong with it?" i reach back, trying to feel over the braids i have holding the top half of my hair back

"nothing's wrong with it" he moves his arm off the couch, "i said it looked nice"

"you're being serious?" i smile slightly, trying to hold in a laugh, "you're actually complimenting me?"

"i think so" he nods his head, looking me back up and down

"this is real progress for you" i chuckle, letting my hand fall out of my hair, "maybe bletchley was right last year, i'm gonna make you go soft" i smirk, titling my head toward him playfully

"oh, be quiet" he rolls his eyes, leaning his back on the couch again, "i try being nice one time-"

"thank you" i cut him off, moving myself toward him, "it was sweet of you to notice"

his head turns back to me, a smile spreading across his face, "you know me" his smirk widens, tilting his head toward me, "the sweetest guy around"

"now you're exaggerating" i laugh, lightly pushing his head away from me, but he swings it right back to me, "i was impressed today, when you didn't say anything about hermione"

"i was trying" he says, "i figured you wouldn't be happy with me if i'd commented"

"that's a pretty fair assumption" i chuckle, reaching forward and shutting all of my books, "back down to the common room, then? if you're all set"