chapter 20

"what potion is highly explosive when touched by an outside force?"

"theeee... erumpent potion?" i say, waiting to see what blaise responds

"correct!" he smiles, "okay what is the use of the pepperup potion?"

"relieves cold symptoms"

"amazing!" he exclaims, closing my notebook, "you're going to do just fine on the final exam"

"i'm more nervous for the practical" i say, taking back my book and flipping through the list of ingredients, trying to remember what each item adds to a potion

"it'll be fine" he shrugs, taking out the charms textbook, "my turn now!"

i take the textbook from him, flipping through the pages and quizzing him on the spells we've learned this term. draco has been acting odd ever since the quidditch match over a month ago, seems that what bletchley said to him really got under his skin. i've had to spend more time studying with blaise rather than malfoy, seeing as he's withdrawn from spending loads of time with me. with finals in a week, i can't stress over draco. i need to focus on getting good marks.

"lumos maxima!" blaise says, the end of his wand lighting up

"very good!" i smile, "flitwick will be impressed"

we finish up studying and then walk to the great hall together, talking about our plans for over the summer.

"we'll probably go to geneva" blaise says casually, "usually go around mid-summer. and you?"

i chuckle a little, "nothing as grand as that. probably will just stay around the house" blaise nods, "you should visit" i add, "you know, when you're not in geneva. i usually have daphne and pansy over at some point during break"

"yeah" blaise smiles a little, looking down at his feet, "that would be nice"

we end our conversation as we enter the great hall, joining our friends at the table.

"any success studying?" pansy says as we sit down

"i'll pass" blaise says, "no guarantees on y/n though, she's a right mess in transfiguration" he elbows me and i laugh, hitting his arm away

"he's lying" i smile, holding back blaise's arm and turning to pansy, "i have better marks them him in that class" blaise rolls his eyes, leaving me alone and turning to his food. i look at daphne and pansy with a wide smile on my face, and both of them raise their eyebrows, "i'll tell you later" i mouth to both of them, and they nod, giggling as they return to their plates. i look further down the table, seeing draco with the rest of the quidditch team, along with crabbe and goyle.

"is he still not speaking to you?" daphne says, following my line of sight

"barely" i mutter, "team thinks he's gone soft by becoming friends with me" i stab at my chicken with my fork, "and lord knows malfoy cares more about his reputation than speaking to me"

daphne and pansy both sigh, giving me looks of pity. i tear my gaze away from draco, sighing and eating my lunch.

__________________________

"sooooo?" daphne says once we're back in our dorm. we all studied together and ate dinner, before parting with blaise and heading to sleep.

"he said 'that would be nice'" i smile, relaying to them my asking blaise to visit this summer

"he definitely has a crush on you" pansy says, "clearly was flirting with you at lunch"

"i don't know" i sigh, "i wouldn't want to assume..."

"oh please" daphne rolls her eyes, "he spends every free moment with you"

"i guess" i say, my smile growing wider as my cheeks flush red, "we'll see"

daphne and pansy exchange a knowing glance, letting go of the subject as we all fall asleep.

__________________________

monday we have our transfiguration exam first thing in the morning, where we have to turn a teapot into a tortoise. the majority of us, including myself, do magnificently.... although neville's ends up still having a handle and release steam everytime it breaths. our charms exam that afternoon is on cheering charms.

we have three exams tuesday: care of magical creatures, potions, and astronomy. all which i have with draco. he only interacts with me on the walk to astronomy, as the exams at midnight and we run into each other in the common room.

our history of magic and herbology exams on wednesday go excellently, as well as the defense and divination exams on thursday. thursday the school is sent into a frenzy, as that evening sirius black is found on the grounds. the story is unclear, but it seems as though potter and his friends were the ones who found him. the next day, i see lupin in the halls, scratched up rather badly. he ends up resigning, turns out he was a werewolf. i pass draco in the halls and almost congratulate him on his correct prediction, but think better of it when he becomes surrounded by the quidditch team.

after a long week, i'm glad to be done with all of the testing. the last week of school is spent celebrating and stressing over exam grades, which we receive the next friday. i received excellent marks on all my classes, as do my friends. we have a brilliant end of year feast, and travel home on the hogwarts express the next day.

__________________________

"oh it's so good to see you" my father smiles as i hop off the train, embracing me in a warm hug.

"hi dad" i smile, hugging him back as i drop my things.

"thank goodness you're back!" my mum says from behind me, holding onto my shoulders as i turn away from my dad, "i had quite the fright when i heard all this business about black"

"if that potter boy wasn't at the school black would've never-"

"now marcus you must not blame this all on him" my mum sighs, giving a disapproving look to my father, "he's only a child"

my dad grunts a little as he picks up my suitcases, not bothering to try and argue with mum. she looks down at me with a weak smile, hugging me tightly and kissing my forehead before saying, "come on, best be following him home" she takes my hand as i shout goodbye to my friends, walking away from them on the platform. my father apparates us back home, and i'm left back in this big empty manor by myself for the summer, contemplating how long to wait before i write my friends.

__________________________

and that's their third year of school all finished!

question: was this a good amount of chapters for a year at school? or would you rather there be more chapters per year. obviously i'm not going to write exactly 20 per school year but i'm trying to gage if around that number seems good or if u would prefer longer parts of the story?

i'm probably going to write a couple chapters about what they do over the summer and then will transition into gof era :) hope everyone has enjoyed this part of the story so far, thank u for all the love in the comments, i really appreciate it! keeps me wanting to write more! vote/comment/share :) xx

p.s. thank you for 4k reads :))))