chapter 40

"did you hear draco's in the paper with a girl?" pansy says, sitting down on the other side of me, "i can't imagine why the paper has any business knowing who he's-" daphne holds up the page in pansy's face, "oh my" she gasps, seeing the picture of draco and i, "i didn't know you and draco had become official"

"we haven't become 'official'! we weren't even unofficial in the first place" i sigh, knowing i'll have to explain this to loads of people.

"really?" pansy tilts her head, "i could've sworn there's been something between you. you only spent every hour of every day with him in the library, the back corner of all places"

"that's a bit of an-"

"the only thing that had me doubting it was that meeting he had with a girl the other night" she furrows her brow, "daphne told you she heard blaise saying that, yeah?"

"it was me pansy" i explain, "i'm the girl"

"and they almost kissed" daphne whispers

"shut up daphne!" i hiss at her, giving her a strong glare.

"you what?" pansy gasps, "how could you not tell us?!"

"hush he's coming" i say quickly, noticing draco walking in to the great hall along with blaise. we whisper quickly, trying to figure out how best to approach this, but hardly come up with any sort of plan before draco sits down, blaise continuing on down the table.

he looks between all of us, squinting his eyes like he's trying to read our minds, "why is it every time i enter a room the three of you go silent" he sneers, "talking about me?" he raise an eyebrow, his gaze landing on me. i take a breath, looking at daphne

"show him" i clear my throat, nodding towards draco

"show me what?" he says roughly as daphne pulls the issue up from her lap, putting it down on the table in front of him. he examines it only for a second before looking back up, his eyes wide, "this is published?" he points down at the picture. we all nod slowly as draco rubs his hand on his chin, looking back down at the paper, "unbelievable" he mutters softly. i look between daphne and pansy, none of us really knowing what to say to him.

"well i'm glad i didn't kiss you or anything" he finally says, taking us all by surprise, "had they gotten a picture like that we'd be done for" he calmly takes a spoonful of his porridge, sliding the paper back across the table to daphne. i look at her with wide eyes and she shakes her head, looking just as awkward and panicked as i feel.

"i'm sorry" i say, looking back at him with a small laugh, "what?"

"what?" he says back, looking up at me as though i have no reason to be offended

"you're glad you didn't kiss me?" i scoff, leaning forward slightly to focus my attention on him

"well, that's not what i-"

"i think you two ought to talk in private" daphne quietly says, and i see that other slytherin girls are all holding their issues of witch weekly, staring intently at us

"i have class anyways" draco says, starting to stand up and walk away

"well so do i!" i nearly shout, "we're in the same bloody classes!" i shout after him, grabbing my bag as well and following him quickly out of the hall

__________________________

i don't get to speak to him in the hallways, as there's too many people, all of which are staring at either draco or i. the word spread rather quickly. first period in arithmancy draco and i usually don't sit next to each other, so i don't get the chance to speak to him then either. i finally get him alone as we're walking down the hill to care of magical creatures.