chapter 26

"do you know... cedric diggory?" i say to daphne and pansy that night, as we sit around the fire in our dormitory

"diggory?" daphne says, "of course" she laughs

"i don't think there's a girl in the school who doesn't know him" pansy says, smirking slightly, "why?"

"i ran into him in the library today" i say, a small smile forming on my face, "he was quite nice"

"someone have a crush already?" daphne laughs, hitting me in the shoulder, "slow down y/n, it's only the first day"

"oh shove off" i roll my eyes, although i'm still smiling like an idiot, "i barely know him"

"that smile on your face is pretty convincing evidence" pansy teases, getting up and walking over to her bed. i don't protest, getting up as well and laying down on my bed, getting under the covers and wiping the smile off my face, trying to concentrate on school tomorrow.

__________________________

at breakfast the next morning, we get our schedules delivered. i sit next to draco, with pansy and daphne across from us. crabbe is on draco's other side, and goyle is across from him. there hasn't been any sight of blaise thus far. when our schedules fly down from above (via owl) we're quick to begin comparing our classes.

your schedule

"you've got to be joking" i say, throwing my paper down on the table, "i haven't got a single free period on mondays"

"same" draco says, displeased, "and i've only got two classes on thursdays and fridays" i can tell by the way he speaks he's probably rolling his eyes, "who made these? absolute rubbish" he mutters

"wait? you said only two class thursday and friday?" i look over at him and he nods, "let me see that" i grab his schedule out of his hands, picking mine back up, "oh now come on" i chuckle

"what?" draco says, trying to take his schedule back

"we've gotten all our classes together, except muggle studies of course" i say, letting him take his schedule out of my hands

"seriously?" draco says, "well what about you two" he nods to pansy and daphne, who hold up their schedules for us to see

"arithmancy, herbology and charms with you pans... you as well daphne" they both nod, then going to compare their schedules with crabbe and goyle.

"well, i guess we'll be making up for loads of lost time, won't we?" i say to draco

"yeah" he smiles slightly, "i suppose we will"

just then, draco's owl flies in, landing on his shoulder with a sizeable package from his mum. narcissa often sends various sweets to him throughout the year. whenever he receives them i see glimpses of genuine happiness from draco, so it's some of my favorite moments from school as well.

__________________________

after arithmancy, we head down the hill towards hagrid's cabin, walking in a pack with the other slytherin's in our class, including crabbe and goyle. hagrid is outside of his hut with his dog, fang, along with several wooden crates. must contain whatever we are studying today. all of the gryffindors in the class are already gathered around, i'm pretty sure they had a free period this morning.

"mornin'!" hagrid said, grinning widely, "been waiting for yer slytherins, you wouldn't want ter miss this- Blast Ended Skrewts!"

"come again?" ron says from the front of the class, and harry points down into the crates. a gryffindor girls recoils in disgust, earning some laughs from the slytherin's in the back of the class. the creature's are rather disturbing, like shell-less lobsters, real slimey as well. they smell rancid too, making the whole thing an unpleasant experience.

"only jus' hatched" hagrid boasts, "so you'll be able ter raise them yourselves! thought we'd make a bit of a project of it!"

"and why would we want to raise them?" draco says coldly from beside me. he earns chuckles from crabbe and goyle, but i keep a straight face. hagrid looks at draco, clearly puzzled, "i mean, what do they do?" says draco, "what is the point of them?"

professor opens his mouth, holding up his finger like he has a thought, and then putting it back down. draco snickers slightly and i elbow him, getting him to instantly shut up, "that's next lesson malfoy" hagrid says, "yer jus' feeding them today. now, yeh'll want ter try them on a few different things- i've never had 'em before, not sure what they'll go for- i got ant eggs and frog livers an' a bit o' grass snake- just try 'em out with a bit of each"

"excellent direction, professor" draco mutters under his breath, walking away from me towards a crate, i follow after him, taking a crate with him, crabbe, and goyle to begin and try and feed. although the boys rarely actually touch the food, rather stand around more.

"ouch!" a voice shouts from behind us. i turn my head to see dean thomas, clutching his hand, "it got me!" he exclaims. hagrid rushes over to examine deans wound, hagrid frantically explains to the class that the ends can burst off and cause burns, while the males have stingers and the females have things on their stomachs to suck blood.

"well, i can certainly see why we're trying to keep them alive" draco says sarcastically, "who wouldn't want pets that can burn, sting, and bite all at once?"

"just because they're not very pretty doesn't mean they're not useful" hermione's snaps, harry and ron look at her in shock, but i pick up the slack, backing her up.

"exactly" i say, "dragon's blood is amazingly magical, but you wouldn't want a dragon for a pet, would you?" i raise my eyebrow at draco, who seems to have lost a bit of his confidence, glaring before turning back to our crate. hermione makes eye contact with me, giving a small "thank you" smile before attending to her own crate. i go back to my own business and before we know it, class is over and we're off the herbology.

__________________________

when we enter the greenhouse, professor sprout shows us the ugliest plants.

"first blast-ended skrewts and now this?" draco says, looking at the plants in disgust, "not a good way to reel us in on the first day"

"these.. " professor sprout gestures to the slug like... things.. protruding from the soil, "are bubotubers. they need squeezing. you will collect the pus-"

"the what?" draco says, looking revolted at the slimy sacks covering the plants

"pus, malfoy, pus" says sprout, "and it's extremely valuable, so don't waste it. wear your dragon-hide gloves; it can do funny things to the skin when undiluted, bubotuber pus"

"do we have to do something dangerous in every class?" i whisper to draco, earning a laugh from him. we all slip on our gloves, looking at the creatures as we do, not excited for what we must do next. we have to pop the swellings and collect the pus, which professor informs us madam pomfrey uses to cure acne, so i guess overall the class was worth it. we clean up when we're done, heading out of the greenhouses and back toward the castle for lunch. the rest of the classes of the day are fairly boring, especially history of magic, which is no surprise. i am glad to have draco with me though, as he's always good for a laugh.

__________________________
HEY sry this is kinda like ~background~ intro to fourth year but tmrw mornings chapter is gonna have LOTS going on :)) and y'all wanted more chapters per year so i'm trying to add more detail! hope everyone is enjoying! vote/comment/share ! xx