chapter 12

most of dinner is just filled with formalities. the parents question draco and i about school, what classes we're excited for this term, things like that. lucius makes some questionable comments about how they should teach dark arts like they do at durmstrang... luckily i make eye contact with my mum and she doesn't start an argument. after dinner, the adults retreat back into the sitting room for a drink, leaving draco and i alone once more.

"are you all done?" draco points to my plate, i nod, "c'mon, i've got something to show you"

i don't have time to ask questions as draco darts out of the room. i stand in confusion and follow him out into the hall, seeing him waiting at the end of the corridor. i follow him back up to his room.

"wait in the hall" he says as he opens his door, just a crack, so he can slip inside, "i'll just be a moment" i laugh a little, wondering what the hell he is up to as i slide down the wall, sitting down on the cold stone floor outside of draco's bedroom.

"ok come in!" he shouts and i stand back up, entering into his room.

he's there smiling, sitting on his bed, with a package in front of him. it's wrapped quite poorly if i'm honest, but he looks rather proud of himself.

"what's this?" i say, knowing i'm already smiling ear to ear.

"here come sit" he pats across the bed from him, on the other side of the gift.

i smile, sitting down on the bed, "for me?" he nods eagerly, pushing it towards me. i begin to unwrap it, wondering what could possibly be inside. soon, i see purple fabric underneath the parchment wrapping, instantly knowing what it is. the robe i tried on in hogsmeade.

"is this?" i look up at him, seeing that his smile has gotten bigger, he nods a little, looking like if i don't open the package faster he might burst, "you're kidding" i say quietly, ripping open the package. sure enough, there sits the purple velvet robe, covered with silver stars and lined with black silk.

"that's why i didn't want you in here earlier, i was scared you would find it" he laughs, "i only had it tucked under the bed"

"this must've cost you a fortune draco" i say as i pick up the robe, unfolding it in awe

"i got everyone to chip in" he says, "pansy had mentioned you trying it on when she was asking about the necklace"

i place the robe down on my lap, looking up at draco, "thank you... so much" i lunge over the ripped up paper to hug draco around the neck, burying my head in his shoulder. to my delight, he hugs me back.

"you deserve it, for putting up with all my shit" he mumbles

"oh don't say it like that" i pull away, "cleaning up after your messes keeps me entertained" he chuckles, hitting me in shoulder

"i'm glad you like it" he smiles, standing up and gathering the wrapping paper. i look down, holding the soft fabric in my hand and smiling. i look over at draco burning the wrapping paper in his fire.

then, he turns back to me, "go on, try it on" he gestures towards the robe.

__________________________

draco's pov

i watch as her face lights up when i suggest she try on the robe. she stands up, shrugging her shoulders so her black robe falls backwards off her shoulders, revealing more of the dress she has underneath. i can feel heat rising to my cheeks, so i turn and continue putting the trash in the fireplace.

"i've got it on now draco" she says, "you can stop pretending not to look"

i turn to see her smirking, observing herself in my mirror. the robe fits her perfectly, coming just above her ankles. the colors match the dress she wore perfectly. i notice now that she has on the necklace i got her.