chapter 63

hour one

i walk back into the common room, ready for some much needed rest and relaxation before tonight. unfortunately, i'm not given that opportunity. there he is, standing behind the couch, pacing back and forth. relief washes over me at the sight of him, thank god he's okay. he must hear me come in, because he stops, his head turning straight to me

"there you are!" i smile, starting to walk toward him, "where have you been-"

"where have you been?"

"um.. in class?" i laugh, finally reaching him, "i was worried sick-"

"what was it you said about meeting cedric and harry in the library?" he cuts me off, crossing his arms and raising his brow

"i don't.. remember?" i say slowly, my previous relief starting to turn back to worry

"let me refresh your memory then" he purses his lips, sitting down onto the back of the couch, "you said it was a 'one time' thing. and do you remember what i said?"

"you said that was bull-"

"bullshit, yeah" he nods, not letting me finish, "well, it looks like i was right"

"what do you mean-"

"'i just can't help but feel like i'm leading him on' those were your words i believe"

i pause, quickly realizing what he's talking about. i must go pale as my face drops, feeling a pit form deep in my stomach, "how did you....?"

"pansy's a light sleeper" he smirks slightly, tilting his head.

the memory rushes back to me: sitting on the bed with daphne, talking about me meeting with cedric late at night to study. him and i sneaking down into the kitchen, or running past filch almost every day for two weeks. i see pansy, sleeping soundly in her bed. or so i had thought.

"draco-"

"what else was it she told me?" he stands up. i know the question is rhetorical, he's just drawing this all out for fun. some sick, twisted version of fun, "right right. she said diggory had a nice little chat to you about me"

"what did she-"

"you would think that girl has a perfect memory. relayed the conversation real nicely" he leans back against the wall, glaring at me from across the room, "my memory's not as good, but i still remember the gist" he clears his throat, tilting his head again, "he broke up with cho because he was 'meant for someone else'" he pouts his lip, than smirks slightly, "how poetic. sounds like something a friend would say"

"draco-" i step forward slightly but he holds his arm out in front of him, shaking his head

"oh, but there's more, isn't there?" he raises his eyebrows, "i already know it but if you'd be so inclined i would love if you could share with the class" he gestures around the empty room. i thank god we're the only ones here

"i don't know what-"

"don't lie to me y/n" he shouts slightly, but then takes a deep breath, leans back against the wall, and regains his composure, "you've done enough of that already"

i hesitate, taking a minute to consider my options. with a deep breath, i meet his eyes. even with his stone cold glare, i can recognize the hurt beneath his eyes; no matter how hard he tries to hide it. i know i have to tell him the truth, all of it.

i clear my throat.

"well... it was something along the lines of 'all you do is complain about him and i hate it' um.. something about you treating me like shit? he doesn't understand why i keep going back to you. and then-"