chapter 45

it feels like a weight's been lifted off my shoulders when our lips touch. his hand on my lower back applies slight pressure, keeping me pressed against him. it slowly trails up my back, finding its way to my other cheek. he holds my face firmly, yet with a soft touch, guiding my lips against his. without thinking, my hands find their way onto his chest, and then up, resting around his neck. our lips move perfectly in sync, like they were made to fit together. i could stay in this moment forever, but i know i can't.

i pull away after what feels like forever, but it must have been only seconds. my breath is shaky as i open my eyes, looking back into his. my arms still rest on his shoulders, his move down to land on my waist. he smiles.

"you know how long i've been wanting to do that?" i smile a little has he bites his lip, looking up and down, coming back to meet my eyes. i laugh a little. now out of the moment, the only thing running through my mind is how this may complicate things.

"good way to end an argument" i smirk a little

"i think it's my best communication skill" he shrugs, smirking back, "sometimes words" he chuckles, "just don't do the trick" he lifts one of his hands up, bringing to rest underneath my chin, and tilts back up my head

"um.." i trail off, distracted by the scent of his cologne and him leaning in. i break myself out of the spell he seems to have cast over me, clearing my throat and backing away a little, "we should go back to the dance" i let go of my grip around his neck, letting my hands fall to my sides, "we've been gone awhile"

"oh.. um" draco clears his throat as well, letting go of my waist, "yeah, sure" he nods, "that's alright" i nod with a small smile, letting his robe fall of my shoulders and collecting it into one hand

"here you go" i hold it out to him and he takes it, the slightest smile still left on his face. i smile back awkwardly and turn, starting back down the stairs.

what have i done?

__________________________

this is what i wanted, right? i wanted to be with draco all along... then why do i feel so guilty? then i see cedric, standing with his friend edmund against the wall. i see draco behind me, fixing his hair a bit. he smirks when he sees me looking, walking past me back to his date (who's standing with her sister and crabbe). i make my way back to cedric, tapping him on the shoulder.

"hey" he smiles, turning slightly to face me, "i was wondering where you've been"

"draco asked me to.." i trail off, seeing edmund looking at us, "hi, edmund" i smile at him awkwardly, hoping he'll get the hint

"hi y/n" he smiles back. cedric looks at him, raising his brow, "oh.. alright, okay i get it" he nods his head, backing away and turning

"what were you saying?" cedric leans back against the wall, turning to face me

"draco wanted to talk to me about... everything" i say, treading lightly

"and?" cedric shrugs, "what did he have to say? i hope he apologized"

"sort of..." i trail off, "can we dance?" i look back up at him, "i need to get my mind off things. i'm sorry-"

"whatever you need" he smiles softly, "we can talk about all this later" he reaches out his hand, looping his arm through mine and walking out with me onto the floor.

__________________________

the rest of the dance goes off without a hitch. i dance with cedric, having an excellent time. i push draco out of my mind, wanting to enjoy the night... i'll deal with it all later. right now, i just want to have a good time, with a great guy, whose brought me to the most amazing ball i've ever been a part of.