chapter 5

i storm into the great hall during breakfast the next week, furiously looking around for draco. i spot him at the far end of the slytherin table, laughing loudly with all of the boys. i scowl and walk quickly towards him. when he sees me coming his face goes blank, and slowly the other boys turn to me and stop laughing as well.

"draco may i speak to you for a moment?" i say loudly, not caring that the neighboring tables are beginning to look over.

"uh-"

"i'll take that as a yes" i pull out the daily prophet from my bag, slamming it down on the table in front of him and leaning forward, glaring at him, "would you like to explain this?" i point to the article reading "Hippogriff on Hogwarts Grounds to be Executed Monday"

"what?" draco shrugs, "the animal's getting what it deserves"

"you can't seriously think that draco!" i throw up my arms in frustration, my voice rising

"y/n calm down it's not that big-" crabbe starts to say

"calm down?" i cross my arms, glaring at him now, "how am i supposed to calm down when he" i point my arm at draco, "is lying about the severity of the situation... putting a teacher's job in danger and an innocent animal's life at risk."

"the animal isn't innocent!" draco cries, standing up from his seat and facing me

"you may not remember, malfoy" i turn back to him, placing my hands firmly on the table and staring straight into his eyes, "but i was there when it happened. you provoked buckbeak and he gave you what you deserved for being an arrogant, stuck-up prick." i hiss at him. i see his face go blank for a moment before he clears his throat.

"well there's nothing you can do about it. my father contacted the ministry. it's final" he leans back and cross his arms smugly.

"we'll see about that" i scowl at him before turning away to leave. when i turn, i see the other houses staring at us, "did you all enjoy the show?" i yell, picking up the paper and storming back out of the hall.

__________________________

"y/n wait up!" i hear a girls voice from behind me as i'm about to turn the corners towards dumbledore's office. i look over my shoulder to see ron, harry, and hermione jogging after me.

"what you did in there was incredible!" hermione laughs

"yeah well draco deserves it" i smile a little, glad i didn't make a complete fool of myself. i clear my throat, "i'm heading to go tell dumbledore that draco's full of it.. you know tell him what i saw during class... you all should come as well"

"we already tried" ron says, "he said there's nothing he can do."

"then i'll have him call the minister himself and i'll talk to him" i exclaim, turning away and continuing down the hall. i hear them speed up behind me, joining me in the hall and walking with me.

"you would really do that?" harry asks.

"of course" i nod, "i don't care about covering for draco just because he's in my house. he's in the wrong and i'm not afraid to stand up to him"

"you might regret that later" ron laughs a little

i sigh, "no... draco wouldn't hurt me" i look down at the necklace he gave me, resting against the sweater material of my uniform. i take a deep breath, "at least, i don't think he would"

the others go silent for the rest of the walk to dumbledore's. i'm glad they came with me, because i wouldn't have been able to get in without harry. he knew the password.

"lemon sherbert" harry says, and the doors spin to reveal a spiral staircase, which we all sprint up rather quickly.

__________________________

"ah miss y/l/n" dumbledore's voice says as we enter into the office. i've never been in here.. it's quite the impressive sight. i scan to see where the voice is coming from, and only notice as he turns around in his chair to face me, "i've been expecting a visit from you"

"y-you have?" i stutter, looking back at the trio behind me. they nod, encouraging me to move closer, "i... i came here to ask you about buckbeak"

"yes..." dumbledore stands, walking toward me.

"well.." i take a deep breath, straightening out and looking at dumbledore, "i was in class with draco that day, as were many others. he clearly provoked buckbeak and that's what caused him to lash out. besides, the wound is minor, nowhere near as bad as draco is making it out to be. i don't believe it warrants an execution" i let out all at once, sighing afterwords.

dumbledore nods, considering what i've just said, "are you friends with mr. malfoy?"

i furrow my brow, "i mean- i guess so? i don't see why that's important i-"

"oh miss y/l/n" dumbledore shakes his head, "this.. this is very important" you look back at the other three, but they look just as confused as you. "what we need is for draco's father to drop the charges. the ministry has already ruled in their favor... however many witnesses come forward, they simply will not change their stance" dumbledore begins to pace, "but, if you were to convince draco to get his father to drop the charges... then all would be absolved"

"i don't know if even i could manage it" i rock back and forth on my heels nervously, "he's probably the most stubborn person i've met"

"there are ways of persuading everyone" dumbledore wags his finger in the air, taking a lap around his desk, "in the end... the truth always comes out" he sits in his desk, eyeing a vial he has on the edge. i look back at hermione, and we gulp... understanding what he's saying. ron looks completely lost. "i will leave you all with that, now go back to breakfast before class starts"

"thank you, sir" i say quietly, running up and grabbing the vial, keeping eye contact with him to see if he will protest. when he says nothing, i turn my back and follow the others out of his office, the doors immediately shutting behind us.

__________________________

"do you lot want to explain to me what's going on?" ron whines from behind us as hermione, harry and i discuss what dumbledore has just said to us.

hermione groans, turning back to ron, "clearly dumbledore wants us to use this on draco. it's veritaserum" she says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"veritaserum?" ron looks between all of us, "isn't that regulated by the ministry?"

"yeah..." i take the vial from hermione, turning it over in my hands, "somehow dumbledore got his hands on some..." i tuck it into the pocket of my robe, stopping to turn to the others, "but it's the best chance we have of saving buckbeak"

together, we come up with a plan during our lunch break. most of it relies on me, since everyone else doesn't have much contact with draco. since the potion is clear, and odorless, i'm meant to slip it into draco's drink while we're in the common room later tonight. then i can get him alone, have him admit that it was his own fault buckbeak lashed out, and write this all to his father. with one final run through of the plan, i leave the three members of my rival house, jogging to my next class.

__________________________

this is where i'm starting to veer from the movie script lmao. i wanna keep drama going as long as possible to keep the plot interesting :) please comment and lmk u like it