chapter 4

"what were you doing up so late?" pansy questions me from across the table at breakfast. she's been all over draco all morning, laughing at all of his horrible jokes and pressing herself against his arm. it's painful to watch.

"hm?" i furrow my brow, trying to buy time to think of a lie

"i heard you come back to the dorm... must've been past midnight" she raises her eyebrow, taking her fork taking a bite off of draco's plate.

"bug off pansy" he shrugs slightly, forcing her hand off of his arm, "steal food from someone else" he mumbles, moving his plate farther from her.

i laugh at draco before answering pansy, "i just got up to use the bathroom" i look up at her and see her nod, satisfied with my answer.

i finish breakfast and then leave with pansy for our first class of the day, charms.

__________________________

"doesn't draco look smashing today" pansy whispers to me in class

"i guess" i shrug, trying to focus on the lesson.

"i could just-"

"parkinson!" professor flitwick looks towards our table, "are you with us?"

pansy's cheeks flush red, "yes, sorry professor"

i chuckle to myself as pansy hits me in the arm, only making me laugh harder. i stifle my laugh as professor flitwick looks back over at us, and we both apologize quickly, only giggling to ourselves a little while longer once his back turns away. fortunately, i'm able to continue on with class uninterrupted by pansy's comments about draco.

unfortunately, however, she talks about his encounter with buckbeak the entire way to my next class. the girl practically worships the ground he walks on, and i can't seem to figure out why. i leave pansy at her transfiguration class, and i head on to defense against the dark arts. we have a new teacher this year, i feel as though we always do. i stand to the side with draco as we all stare towards a mirrored cabinet, trying to decipher what this class has in store.

"intriguing, isn't it?" professor lupin says as the cabinet shakes, "would anyone like to venture a guess as to what is inside?"

"that's a boggart, that is" dean thomas says from the front of class. i know he's correct, i had read about these creatures before. they shapeshift to be your worst fear. sure enough, hermione rattles that answer off when professor asks. we all recite the spell riddikulus with professor lupin, as he says that's how to repel a boggart.

"riddikulus!" we all say one last time, in unison.

"this class is ridiculous" draco mutters, and i can't help but laugh a little.

we go through only four people's fears before class is dismissed, rather suddenly after harry goes. i walk out with draco and he snickers, "did you see harry's? little twat is horrified of those dementors"

"you really mustn't be so cruel to him, draco" i elbow him and he winces slightly, grabbing at his casted arm

"prick deserves it" he mumbles

"seriously? the only thing he's done is get better marks than you in class" i smirk at him, "it's not harry's fault you can't handle not being the best"

draco's mouth opens and closes, not being able to find the words. i don't think anyone's ever stood up to him before, "that's not true!!" he whines, shoving me slightly towards the wall.

i laugh and shake my head, "i believe you once you have an actually reason for being rude to him" draco avoids my gaze, which i take as him admitting i'm right. i allow us to move past the subject and we begin to chat about other things, before heading our separate ways to classes.

__________________________

after lunch i have class with draco again, divination. he immediately comes and sits with me this time, seeing as none of his goons are in this course. we spend the beginning of class listening, but soon are whispering about our own things, professor trelawney doesn't pay much attention to us anyways.

"it took some convincing, but i got my mum to sign the slip" i smile, pulling the hogsmeade permission slip out of my bag to show draco "she's gone absolutely mad worrying about sirius black"

"you actually showed it to your mum?" draco laughs, pulling out his slip, "what a goody-two shoes. i used a spell to forge it" he smirks, proud of himself.

"are you not worried they'll find out?"

"there's no way mcgonagall's going to question it" he shrugs, "besides if they do i can find a way to sneak out"

i look back up at our professor, realizing we haven't been listening for the past ten minutes. i try to tune in but at this point, i've missed to much... i'll have to ask daphne about it after class, "one of these days you're going to get yourself in massive trouble, malfoy"

he chuckles a little, "and i'll make sure you're right by my side when i do"

i roll my eyes at him and he smirks back. we both try and focus for the rest of class, although it is difficult to focus when professor trelawney is always off topic.

__________________________

"and then lupin had to jump in front of him because potter couldn't do the spell himself!" draco laughs as he recounts the events of class to our friend group in the common room. i'm sitting on the floor across from the couch he sits on, looking over my notes from today's classes.

"you're talking and awful lot of shit for someone who didn't even have to face their fear"

"yeah.. well neither did you!" draco retorts, crossing his arms and leaning back on the couch

"nice comeback, malfoy" i scoff, shutting my books and leaning back against the chair behind me, where blaise is sitting. i see draco's scowl deepen, his eyes flickering between blaise and i.

"whatever" he mumbles, turning to pansy on the couch and beginning to talk to her about her plans for the hogsmeade trip. the second he turns to her, her eyes widen and a smile comes across her face, excited to talk to him.

blaise taps me on the shoulder and i look back at him, "what are you planning to do in hogsmeade?"

"well draco and i had talked about going to honeydukes... and then i'm going to look for a gift for my mum. her birthday's coming up" blaise nods, telling me about his plans. i can't help but feel draco's eyes on us every now and then.. he doesn't really seem to be listening to pansy.

after awhile it's time for all of us to head back to the dorms for bed. blaise stands and steps over me, saying goodbye to everyone as he walks to the boys dorm with crabbe and goyle.

"ready, pansy?" i sigh, trying to get her to come up to the dorm with me and daphne. i hate the idea of leaving her alone with draco.

"i'm just going to stay her awhile longer" she smiles, making eye contact with me that i know means get out of here.

i nod, "okay... well you have 10 minutes til curfew, be careful" pansy smiles and nods, "bye draco" i say, getting him to turn back and look at me

"bye" he says curtly, only giving me a short glance before turning back to pansy. i can't help but feel a tinge of jealousy as i walk to the dorm with daphne, hearing draco and pansy talking behind us.

__________________________

i'm so glad ppl are enjoying this story! same deal as always, lmk any suggestions you have in the comments below :)