chapter 39

draco's pov

the second the curtain shuts i instantly begin cursing myself as i walk back up to the stands. still couldn't kiss her. i take a seat back down with everyone, and it's not long before the competition commences. we learn their task is to collect a golden egg (that was surrounded by other, real dragon eggs), that the dragon is guarding. y/n was right, each of them have a different dragon.

the first to go is cedric. he battles a swedish-short snout. he has many, many close calls, where the fire nearly singes off the ends of his hair; but in the end he uses a transfiguration spell to change a rock into a dog. this distracts the dragon and allows him to run pass, securing the egg. he earns himself 38 points.

next, a common welsh green is brought out before us. i watch the exit of the tent carefully, waiting to see if y/n will be the one bursting out at the sound of the whistle. when the noise rings through our ears, however, it is fleur who emerges. i sit back in my seat, slightly less interested in the outcome. blaise, crabbe, and goyle, however, lean forward intently, hanging on the edge of every movement fleur makes. she attempts to charm her dragon into a trance, which for the most part works. as she's on her way to the egg, the dragon let out a loud snore, resulting in flames bursting from it's snout, setting fleur's robes on fire. gasps scatter throughout the crowd, but she is able to put out the flame while still getting to the egg. she earns only 35 points.

krum is the next to enter the ring. all of the slytherin's, including myself, cheer loudly. he uses a conjunctivitis curse to blind the dragon (a chinese fireball), but as it thrashed about it's tail broke many of the other eggs. krum was quick to capture the golden one though, so he still earned 40 points.

then, a hungarian horntail emerges. the most dangerous of all the dragon's seen today, i pray that potter is the one to face it... not y/n. to my delight, potter exits the tent next, looking as frightened as i imagine any of us would be, if we were being chased down by a horntail. he uses a summoning charm to conjure his broom. smart move, flying is a stronger skill for potter than anytype of magic. he flies skyward, tempting the dragon to rise away from the eggs. in one quick sweep, harry dips down under the dragon... and emerges with the egg in his hand. he receives 40 points.

we all know who's up next, and we wait anxiously to see what dragon she will be up against. a romanian longhorn is pulled into the ring by the keepers, and daphne looks to me to explain what she's up against.

"nothing venomous" i say, "which is good. the horn's tricky though, she just needs to watch out for being stabbed"

there are only three known spells that dragon's aren't immune too. the conjunctivitis curse used by krum, the bewitched sleep used by fleur, and the stunning spell; which has to be used by multiple wizards at once to work. as y/n emerges at the sounds of the whistle, i'm on the edge of my seat, wondering what she will do. she takes a similar approach to krum, but rather than casting the curse instantly, she lures the dragon toward her in the corner, away from the eggs, and then shouts the curse. as the dragon lurches in random directions, roaring loudly, y/n levitates to rocks in the air, smashing them togethers to bring the dragon's attention away from her. while it's distracted, she slides underneath the belly of the dragon, emerging on the other side right next to the eggs. she snatches up the golden one and the crowd cheers loudly. she and krum were the only contestants who gained no injury from the dragon. y/n was the only one who's other eggs suffered no damage. she earns 42 points, only losing some points on speed.

__________________________

your pov