chapter 70

"i asked cedric about the infirmary" i say the next evening to draco as we patrol, we're walking through the courtyard area right now, "he wouldn't tell me what happened"

"predictable" draco mumbles, checking down the adjacent hallways we pass.

"he said you were lying" i continue quietly, kicking at a loose pebble on the ground

"i'm not-"

"i know" i cut him off, "i know, draco" i sigh, putting my hands in my pockets, "that's what's bothering me" i sit down in one of the alcoves, leaning my head against the stone pillar

"i wish i could say i was sorry, that you're upset with him" draco walks over slowly, "but honestly..."

"yeah" i nod, not needing him to finish his sentence. draco smiles sadly, sitting down on a bench in front of me.

"i came up to the infirmary that night, the second i heard they had sent you there" he starts to say, looking out at the courtyard, "i got there at the same time as cedric, he just beat me to the door"

__________________________

draco's pov (the night of the third task)

"out of the way, diggory" i mutter, trying to shove past cedric to the door.

"no way" cedric laughs, stepping to block me, "she doesn't want to see you"

"and how do you know that?" i spit back, "i think i would know if my-"

"you're what?" he cross his arms, leaning against the doorway, "don't claim to give your a relationship a title now that it'll help you win an argument. besides, you aren't anything to her anymore. she said so herself-"

"you must of misunderstood-"

"she said she broke things off with you, right before the task. sounds pretty clear to me" cedric shrugs, smirking slightly

"move, diggory" i say again, taking a deep breath. i know y/n is upset with me, and if i yell at cedric it will only make things worse.

"i am not going to let you go in there and upset her for the millionth time this year. what did you do this time, huh? that finally sealed the deal" cedric raises his eyebrows, "it took her long enough-"

"we're just having a fight, it's-" i stop myself, "look i don't need to explain myself to you, let me in-"

"i think i'll go in myself, thanks" cedric smiles, and in one swift motion opens the door, backs into the infirmary, and shuts the door.

"shit" i mutter, reaching forward and pulling on the handle. locked. probably did it with a spell, "alohomora" i whisper, pointing my wand at the door and then trying it again, still nothing. i exhale loudly, banging my fist against the door and then resting my head against it. it's no use.

i'll have to try and come back tomorrow.

the next morning, i'm on the common room couch. having just finished packing my things, i'm planning to go visit y/n before we all have to leave for the train. a loud thud comes from the stairs, and i look back to observe what's happening.

daphne's coming down from the dormitory, lugging two large chests behind her. an owl swoops out of a cage as it tumbles off of the chest, landing at the bottom of the stairs. i follow the owl's line of flight, instantly recognizing it as y/n's. i quickly stand up, walking over to daphne.

"are those y/n's things?" i ask her, standing at the bottom of the stairs. she looks up at me with a glare, sighing and standing up a bit.

"you think you would offer to help before asking questions"