chapter 18

the next month is spent practicing for our quidditch match against gryffindor, which flint had set for the 16th of april, today's the 12th. he has us practicing everyday, barely giving us time to work on our schoolwork. after practice everyday, draco and i have to rush to change for dinner, and usually end up breaking curfew to finish our papers or study for exams. daphne continuously comments on how much time we spend together, but i insist it's mostly centered around quidditch. i don't have much choice but to see him.

"y/n!!" i hear shouting behind me in the hall on my way to charms class, i turn my head back, seeing blaise jogging down the hall.

"hey zabini" i smile as he reaches me

"hey" he smiles back, "did you finish the charms homework?" i nod, beginning to pull it out of my bag, but he stops me, "oh no.. i don't need it. i just wanted to make sure you were all caught up with quidditch"

"oh.. thanks blaise" i smile. that's nice of him.

"anytime" he smiles, walking in with me to class. i sit down with him, checking our answers for the homework against each others.

today we're working on the mending charm. we spend the class breaking apart quills and trying to put them back together, most of us having little success. by the end of class, blaise and i have a massive pile of broken quills, and only one we managed to fix.

"did you see hermione's?" blaise sighs as we walk out of class, "every single one of her's worked"

"there's a reason she's the top of our class" i shrug, laughing a little

"we should study" blaise nods, "library?" i raises his eyebrow

"i have history of magic right now, actually..." i say, looking down the hall i have to turn down, "but um.. well i have practice after and then..."

"that's alright" he shrugs, "another time" he gives a weak smile, continuing down the hall without me. i frown slightly before turning the corner and walking to my class.

__________________________

history of magic is everyone's least favorite class. professor binns is the only ghost teacher at hogwarts, and he manages to make history more boring than it already is. he speaks slowly, and in a monotone voice. after 10 minutes of class, both longbottom and seamus are slumped in their chairs, practically asleep.

"do you think if we walked out he would notice?" draco whispers to me from our seats at the back of the class

"probably not" i laugh.

"c'mon" draco grabs my arm, beginning to get up

"i was kidding" i say in a hushed tone, "sit down" i continue, staring at professor binns to make sure he hasn't noticed draco standing. draco shakes his head, backing towards the door. i look back at the professor, and than at draco, beckoning me to join him at the door. i sigh, quietly grabbing my bag and getting up. the rest of the class is either sleeping, or doing work from other classes, and binns is in his own little world, so it's easy for draco and i to slip out the door and into the hall.

"if we get caught i'm saying you threatened me" i say, following draco down the corridor reluctantly

"just admit you like spending time with me" draco smirks, looking back at me over his shoulder

"never" i smile slightly when he looks back forward, speeding up to walk next to him as we make our way to the common room.

__________________________

"i thought you had class?" blaise says as we enter the room. i look guiltily at draco, hoping he will explain.

"we cut" he shrugs, "just binns, he won't miss us" he sits down on the couch next to blaise

"i would've come study with you had i known draco would make us leave" i give blaise a small smile, sitting down on the couch across from them.

"no worries" he says shortly, looking down into his book

"well know we've got..." draco looks at the clock, "an hour until we have to leave for practice"

"we can study now?" i say, aiming my question to blaise

"great idea!" draco says, grabbing out a book, "i need your help with-"

"not you" i glare at him, "blaise?"

blaise looks up at me, almost in surprise, and then over to draco, who has a massive frown on his face, "um" he clears his throat, "sure" he closes his charms book, standing up, "the book we need is in the library"

"fantastic" i stand with him looking over at draco, "come along if you'd like?"

"i'm all set" he says with a straight face, opening his own book and settling in on the couch. i could try and convince him, but if he wants to be in a bad mood that's fine by me. i spend all day with him as it is, he can get on without me for an hour.

__________________________

that night, we have astronomy at midnight. i have to get up quietly to avoid waking the other girls in my dorm. i yawn as a pull on my robes and get out the door, almost screaming as i find draco waiting right outside.

"can't you wait downstairs like a normal person?" i hiss at him, he just smirks

"i was coming to get you, we're going to be late" he turns around, walking down the stairs. i'm not awake enough to think of a come back, so i just exhale loudly and follow him downstairs as we head off to astronomy.

__________________________

"this class is stupid" draco rolls his eyes, throwing his star map down on the floor

"you just say that because you're god awful at it" i laugh, holding up my own star map and drawing in the constellations i see. draco rolls his eyes, sitting down next to me and picking back up his map. i help him map the stars for the rest of class, he really is horrible at the subject. he's second in our class, the smartest boy i know, but he can barely tell the big dipper from leo's belt.

after class, we walk back through the empty corridors down to the dungeons, mostly in silence, until draco decides to break it.

"what's going on with you and blaise?" he says, looking down at his feet as we pass by the great hall.

in confusion, i reply, "what d'you mean?"

"you're spending more.. time" he pauses, almost trying to collect his thought, "together recently"

"i suppose" i shrug, "no more time than i spend with our other friends"

"our other friends are girls" he looks up at me, raising his eyebrows

"have you forgotten crabbe and goyle?" i chuckle

"they don't count" draco smirks, kicking at a loose pebble in the corridor

"i don't know what you're trying to get at, malfoy" i stop, stepping in front of him so he looks back at me, "but i have no reason for spending more time with blaise other than to study"

he waits a moment, seeming to process the information, and then simply says, "okay", and with a slight nod, continues on down the hallway.

i stare after him walking ahead of me down the dimly lit corridor, a million thoughts running through my head about how he's acting. he turns back and looks at me, "well hurry up then y/l/n" he waves me on, "even though we had class, filch won't appreciate us in the halls"

i nod quickly, jogging to catch up with him. we continue the rest of the journey in silence, only speaking to say goodbye once we are back in the common room.

__________________________

THANK U SO MUCH FOR 2.5K READS!! and over 500 comments! absolutely insane. thank u guys sm :) next chap will be out tmrw! make sure to vote/comment/share this one! love y'all xx