chapter 53

despite finishing last, harry is awarded extra points for staying back to get gabrielle, landing him tied for first with cedric, each of them having 85 points. krum and i are tied for second now, we each have 80 points. fleur, sadly, didn't finish the task (she was attacked by grindylows), and only earns herself 25 points; bringing her score to 60.

__________________________

"we've taken what you'll sorely miss?" draco says smugly, sitting down next to me in the boat

"oh shut up" i roll my eyes, seeing his smirk widen

"you were going to miss me" he teases just as the boat pushes off, leading the fleet back towards hogwarts. the other champions and those they had to save are also in our boat.

"don't flatter yourself, malfoy. i'm sure if i had been walking with daphne last night they would've taken her"

"sure they would have" he says sarcastically, turning his head away to look out at the water. secretly, i know he's the person i would miss the most... but i'd never admit that to him.

"how long were you down there for" i turn to face him

"dunno" he shrugs, "they knocked me out this morning... not sure when they dumped us in the lake"

as the boat comes into dock, draco jumps over the side of the boat onto the shore, reaching out his hand to me. i thank him as he helps me out of the boat, walking close to me as we head back to the castle.

__________________________

the next morning i'm walking through the hall with pansy, on our way to charms class, when we're suddenly stopped by a obnoxiously blonde lady i know all too well; rita skeeter.

"if you're looking to ask me questions about draco again i'm going to have to decline" i say, trying to move past her quickly

"oh no, dear! that stories gone stale i'm afraid" pansy chuckles as rita says this, "i'm here doing research on hermione granger-"

"granger?" pansy bursts out, "why would anyone be interested in her?" i shoot her a glare but she just stares in confusion back at me. i sigh as rita begins talking again

"so you know her-?"

"yeah of course i do!" pansy says smartly, "everyone does. no way you can ignore her with how-"

"pansy and i actually have to get to class" i interrupt, trying to keep any bad thoughts on hermione out of the paper, "don't we pansy?"

"flitwick won't mind if we're late" she shrugs, looking back at rita

"what do you know about her and viktor krum?" the reporter raises her eyebrow

"they went to yule ball together" i say, that's common knowledge, so i don't feel bad adding to the conversation, "that's all. now let's go pansy"

"no, now hold on" she whines, shrugging my hand off her arm, "now that granger girl, i've never understood how she got krum"

"pansy-"

"she's really ugly"

"she is not-!"

"but" pansy continues, ignoring my protests, "she'd be well-up to making a love potion, she's quite brainy. i think that's how she's done it"