chapter 69

i walk out of umbridge's office at 18 o'clock the next evening, clutching my hand while wiping tears from my eyes. blood seeps through the cracks between my fingers, from large gashes spelling out "i must not use profane language". i wince, looking down at it as i make my way back down towards the dungeons. i think i have some spare tape from quidditch in my trunk... i'll have to wrap my hand. i just have time to bandage myself up before i have to go to dinner. i think of stopping by the gryffindor table to see if hermione knows any spells to ease the pain.

i tuck my arm up into my sleeve, walking over towards the gryffindors and leaning my head down between hermione and harry. harry's already explained to her what's happened. she's furious. she says she'll do some research on the spells, but insist harry and i tell dumbledore as soon as possible. i nod and turn around, seeing cedric standing by the hufflepuff table looking over at me, a worried look on his face.

"i'll talk to you later" i say to them, walking over to where cedric is standing

"are you alright?" his hand comes to my waist, while his eyes move down to my hand

"oh, this?" i hold up my bandaged arm, rolling my eyes, "yeah, malfoy thought it would be funny to get me thrown in detention. and umbridge does not take it lightly"

"malfoy?" cedric's hand drops from my waist and his head instantly looks over at the slytherin table, where draco is sitting with crabbe and goyle

"it's fine he was just kidding around" i shrug, "it's not like he knew umbridge would-"

"well what did you do? to get yourself detention"

"well she was calling harry a liar and insisting that volde-"

"don't say his name"

"that 'you-know-who' stuff is stupid-" i start, but cedric raises his eyebrows impatiently. i roll my eyes, "fine... that 'you-know-who' hasn't returned. and i said it was bullshit! very quietly, mind you-"

"y/n-"

"what? i'm not just going to let her say that to harry-"

"she's your teacher!"

"okay, dad" i roll my eyes. cedric frowns, "it wouldn't have been an issue if draco hadn't told her what i said"

"what an ass" cedric shakes his head, looking back over toward him

"tell me about it. and to think, i have to patrol with him-"

"you're on patrol together?"

"yeah, tomorrow" i shrug, "they put the prefects of the same year on patrol at the same time"

"well can't you switch with someone?"

"no" i say slowly, starting to get annoyed, "it's not really that a big deal. i can handle him-"

"yeah, yeah... i know you can. i just-" he stops himself, sighing slightly, "yeah, no problem. it's fine"

"i wasn't asking your permission" i reply, looking up at cedric sternly

"right, of course" he nods, placing his hands on his hips, "i should eat"

"yeah" i say quietly, rocking back and forth on my heels. cedric's hand comes to my arm softly, and he leans down and kisses my cheek before turning and taking a seat at his table. with a sigh, i turn away, going over and taking my seat with the slytherins.

__________________________

the next day i only have potions with draco, and i'm able to avoid him pretty well. i stay at my usual station with daphne and pansy. pansy complains about draco the whole time, saying he's been blowing her off since we've got back to school.