chapter 42

draco's pov

"i should go after her, right?" i point towards the common room entrance, still in slight shock

"obviously" blaise says, pushing my back, "you really messed up this time, mate"

i nod, dropping my things down on the couch and heading out of the common room. i look down each end of the hallway, but y/n is nowhere in sight. i think i might know where she's headed, though.

i make my way up towards the astronomy tower. every now and then i can see her turning the corner ahead of me, so i know i'm on the right track. i get delayed for a moment when flint stops me in the hall, trying to explain something to me for next quidditch season, i shrug him off as quickly as i can, but by the time i do i can't see her ahead of me anymore.

"shit" i mumble, jogging now to try and find her again

i finally reach the tower, slowing down and catching my breath before climbing the spiral staircase up. when i walk out onto the terrace, she's nowhere to be found.

__________________________

your pov

i rush out of the common room, dodging flint in the hall. i climb up the staircase, finding my way quickly back to where cedric showed me the night we snuck into the kitchens. i can feel a few tears on my face, still upset over draco, but i wipe them off just as i turn the corner, seeing the wall covered in fruit filled paintings.

i don't know what my plan was. sure i know how to get into the kitchens, but not the hufflepuff common room. i look around for a minute, then seeing a group of hufflepuff's approaching from my grade.

"hey, ernie right?" i say, getting the attention of one of the boys in front

"uh.. yeah?" he furrows his brow

"i'm um... looking for cedric" i say

"oh" he looks back between his friends, "yeah, sure i.. i'll go check and see if he's inside" he nods with a smile, all of them walking past me to a corner, piled with barrels. they knock a tune i don't recognize on the one in the middle, and it opens to reveal a door, "i'll be right back" he turns to me, smiling before ducking in. the door shuts behind them and i lean against the wall, waiting.

"hey, y/n what's-?" cedric emerges from the barrel, "woah, are you okay?" he hurries himself now, coming out of the barrel and rushing over to me, placing his hand over my arm comfortingly. i probably look a reck from running across half the castle.

"yeah i" i sigh, "there was this, thing... with draco" i look up at him hopelessly, seeing his face contort in confusion, looking down the hall

"what did he do?" he looks back at me, his face full of concern

"the ball" i get out, "he- he wasn't going to ask me. he said he didn't think anyone would, and then i would have to go with him"

"oh, geez y/n" cedric says softly, moving his arm completely across my back, pulling me against his chest, "hey, hey.. it's going to be alright" he smiles slightly, looking down at my face.

"no chance you haven't already asked cho?" i chuckle slightly, knowing i have no shot

"actually... no" he loosens his arms around me, "i was waiting it out a bit, planning on asking her tomorrow but...." he trails off, "look if you're done with him, she'll have no trouble finding another date, harry wants to ask her"