chapter 8

the next day is sunday, so we still don't have any classes. i spend the morning in the library with daphne and pansy, working on our papers for herbology. i spot the golden trio in the distance and take some time to talk to them, making sure they got the news about buckbeak. they say hagrid already told them, but they thank me a million times for talking to draco. i rejoin my friends and work for a little longer. 

in the afternoon, we leave studying to go back to the common room, in search of the male half of our friend group. unsurprisingly, they are all slumped on the couches, arguing loudly about who they think will win the quidditch world cup this year. i can barely hear my own thoughts over them, so i leave pansy and daphne downstairs with them and go up to our dorm to get some peace and quiet.

to my surprise, a small letter is folded on my pillow. i figured my owl must have dropped it off while the girls and i were studying. i lay back and begin to unfold it, reading the familiar handwriting.

if you're going to make the team, you need practice 

quidditch pitch, tonight 17:00

then during our free periods: monday & tuesday 10:00, wednesday 15:00, and thursday 16:00 after classes. tryouts are friday morning, 9:00. i presume we have the same times off. 

you should send for a better broom.

- d.m.

__________________________

the week is filled with running between my classes to meet draco and practice. he's awfully serious about me getting on the team. by monday my mum had sent my broom from home over. it's a nimbus from a couple models back, but still flies better than the school brooms. draco trains me to be a keeper, since i'm very good at catching the ball... not so much at passing.

but the hard week of work pays off, and by 10:00 friday morning...

i'm the newest member of the slytherin quidditch team.

__________________________

"are you sure you can't come to hogsmeade" pansy whines, practically clawing onto draco's shoulder as we eat breakfast. i think she's gotten more and more desperate for his attention over the past month.

it's now the middle of november, and as the air get chillier so does the castle. we take any excuse we can to get out into the warmth of the hogsmeade buildings but-

"y/n and i have quidditch practice" 

"draco's right pansy" i say as i shovel another load of eggs onto my plate, "and flint will have our heads if we miss practice again"

last week, draco and i were caught out past curfew. not doing anything bad of course, draco was just convinced potter was going to be in the halls that night and wanted to be the one to catch him. so i guess that is kind of bad. i just needed a break from listening to pansy and daphne's constant fangirling over him, so when he asked if i would tag along i couldn't refuse.

big mistake.

filch caught us almost instantly, and it ended up landing us in detention right during practice the next day. 

"at least come to town when you're done!" daphne turns to me, "pansy and i were going to get some new dress robes so we're prepared for the holidays. you know you were meant to come along" she's practically begging me as she stares dead in my eyes, widening hers into a puppy dog face. i think even she's starting to think pansy is a bit much to be around.

"okayy i'll come by after" i look across the table at draco, trying to catch his eye. but he's too busy eating up all the attention pansy giving him to notice.

__________________________

during practice i'm able to convince draco to come into hogsmeade with me. 

"but pansy's gonna-" he starts as we walk back towards the dungeons

"if you're so fed up with her, just tell her you're not interested!" i roll my eyes, having this been the hundredth time i've given him this advice

"i know, you've said that but-" 

"but what?" i pause only to speak the password and walk through to the common room, "it's only worse if you lead her on"

"i'm not-"

"you're not  leading her on?" i cross my arms, turning to face him, "i thought you said she drove you mad"

"she does" he groans, "the girl's absolutely mental. i'm not interested in that i just-"

"like the attention?" i raise my eyebrows, leaning forward against the back of the couch. 

draco pauses a moment before setting a scowl on his face, "you know we spend to much time together" he knocks me in the shoulder, walking past me towards the boys dorm, "i don't like being psychoanalyzed" he says as he walks backwards away from me

"big words for a boy who can't admit he's an attention seeker" i snicker before running towards the girls dorm staircase, seeing draco's eyes light up in playful anger as he pulls out his wand. thankfully, his sparks miss me, only managed to knock a couple books off their shelf next to me. i laugh before disappearing up the stairs, hearing draco chuckle in the distance.

__________________________

"i don't know if i like it" daphne examines herself in the shop mirror, spinning around in what feels like the thousandth robe she's tried on. she frowns, trying to adjust it before sighing and sitting down, "why don't you try on a few, y/n?"

"i like the dress robes i've already got" i shrug, not wanting to say i'm saving up for a new broom and don't want to ask my mum for the money.

"oh c'monnnn" pansy smiles, pushing me off my chair and dragging me to a dressing room, "just try them. you never know!"

she pulls the curtain closed and then throws about 10 robes over the top. i catch them with a grunt, the stacks quite heavy. i sigh and begin changing, knowing they won't rest until i do.

i go through robe after robe, and it feels that everyone one a try on, pansy and daphne pick me out 5 new ones.

"see! isn't this one gorgeous" pansy grins, smoothing out the fabric around the back of the robe.

"i suppose it is quite nice" i can't even try to lie. i would die to own this robe. i'm so enthralled with my reflection in it a barely notice pansy come around in front of me, reaching to smooth the fabric down but instead... landing her hands on my necklace.

__________________________

once again, a bit of a shorter chapter but i wanted to get it out to make up for not posting yesterday :) more to come tmrw! i'm so happy with everyone's comments, glad you're all enjoying it!!!