chapter 10

it's two weeks before holiday break and i couldn't be more ready to get out of this school.

thing's between draco and i have been awful ever since the necklace incident, it's like the beginning of the school year all over again. we're constantly bickering, he's even yelled at me a few times when i tease him too much. pansy being all over him doesn't make it any easier, because now he flirts back with her. i think it's just to spite me... i sure hope it is.

we're all in the common room, studying and doing homework. the professor's always pile on the work before breaks.

"draco did you figure out what we need for the potions practical tomorrow?" i look up at him laying across the couch reading my textbook, while his head rests on pansy's shoulder. she couldn't look more pleased with herself.

"i thought you were going to figure that out" he replies, without looking at me

"how am i meant to do that when you're using my textbook?"

he whistles, "no need to get your knickers in a twist" he closes the book, throwing it down on the table in front of me, "i've got it all sorted out"

i take a deep breath, trying not to explode. i'm not used to him being cruel to me. even before we were friends he generally just left me alone, but now him teasing me has become an everyday thing.

"i hope we change partners when we come back from break" i mutter, grabbing back my book.

the bells sounds, fortunately, because it looked as though draco was about to say a practically nasty retort. we all pack up our things and head to the great hall for lunch.

__________________________

draco's pov

we're at the great hall, eating our lunch. i've been pretty harsh to y/n recently... but isn't that what she wanted? if she didn't want people to find out the necklace was from me, i figured distancing myself was the only way. 

pansy talks my ear off the whole meal. i'm not really listening to a thing she says though. i'm focused on y/n. she's not looking at me, she's turned to the side talking to blaise about divination. suddenly, i hear the swoosh of wings and i look up, seeing y/n's owl flying over head. that's odd, i think, mail came this morning. a letter drops down in front of y/n, and i recognize where it's from immediately... the ministry of magic. she looks away from blaise and sees the letter. i see her face go blank in shock as she grabs it quickly, running out of the great hall. blaise looks confused, but just turns back to his meal as she goes away. i look around at the rest of our friends, is no one going to go after her?

"get off" i nudge pansy and she jumps back, gasping as i stand up, not bothering to say bye to anyone as i follow y/n out the door. 

by the time i catch her, she's in the dorms.

__________________________

your pov

i'm standing over my bed, holding the letter in my hand. it's addressed to me... from the ministry. it can only be one of two things.

my dad's alive

or my dad's dead

i can't fathom what else they would be contacting me about. 

i haven't been able to muster up the strength to open it, it's almost better not knowing. i sigh, throwing it on to my bed and sitting next to it, placing my head in my hands.