chapter 57

at breakfast the next week, monday, at least 7 owls land in front of hermione across the hall at the gryffindor table. i see goyle and crabbe laughing, and pansy has a wide grin on her face. daphne looks a little pleased as well. must be hate mail.

"tell me it's nothing too bad" i say quietly as draco sits down next to me

"i told you, promised i wouldn't talk about it" he grabs his plate, loading toast and eggs onto it. ever since draco was pulled away last week to help the guys write letters to hermione, i've been dreading their arrival.

"dracoo" i whine. he looks over at me, a small smirk on his face.

"you really want to know?" he raises his eyebrows, setting down the serving utensils. i nod my head hesitantly. he sighs.

"i think one of them ends with 'go back from where you came from muggle' and another suggests they're sending a curse in the next post" he looks at me solemnly, his smirk fading, "i don't think they actually did that though..." he trails off, his eyes breaking away from mine and looking across the room. hermione is standing now, clutching her hands tightly.

"what's..."

"oh no" draco says quietly, watching as hermione hurries out of the hall, still cradling her hands, which are bright red and covered with sores, "bubotuber pus" he whispers, "undiluted" he looks back at his plate and starts to eat. the other's boys are high-fiving, looking awfully pleased with the execution of their plan.

"did you see the look on her face?" i hear pansy across the table, laughing to daphne and some of the other slytherin girls.

"guess we know why sprout made us wear gloves" crabbe snickers. i sigh, looking at my plate and starting to eat in silence.

__________________________

draco and i have arithmancy first. hermione is a no show. as we head out of the building to care of magical creatures, i can see crabbe, goyle, pansy, and a group of slytherin girls descending the steps ahead of us, all whispering and giggling amongst themselves. ahead of us, on the path down to hagrids, are harry and ron. pansy must notice them too, because she shouts loudly, "potter! have you split with your girlfriend? why was she so upset at breakfast?" the group all laughs, and i see a small smirk appear on draco's face. i nudge him and glare, making the smirk disappear. he looks down at his feet, now avoiding my gaze for the rest of the walk down.

as we reach the bottom of the hill, i can see hagrid standing outside of his cabin with open crates at his feet. i pray they aren't filled with more skrewts.

"these're nifflers" hagrid says as we gather around. i can see into the crates now, seeing small fluffy black creatures with long snouts and flat front paws, "they like sparkly stuff... there yeh go, look"

i look to my right when i hear a shriek. one of the nifflers has jumped out of the crate, now biting at the watch on pansy's wrist. i chuckle. karma.

"i've buried some gold coins. i've got a prize fer whoever picks the niffler that digs up the most. jus' take off all yer valuables, an' choose a niffler, an' get ready ter set 'em loose"

the whole class begins grabbing at their things, snapping off watches and bracelets, stuffing them into their pockets or bags. i carefully take of my snitch ring and put it in my pocket, then reaching back to try and unclasp my necklace

"here" i hear draco say, moving over behind me. i start to turn back to look at him, but he lightly moves my head forward, running his hand slowly over the back of my neck to move my hair out of the way. i feel my breath hitch from the contact, as he unclasps the necklace and brings the chain off my neck, letting it gather in his hand. i open my palm slowly and he smirks, dropping the necklace into my hand and walking over to the crates without a word.