chapter 37 (dracos pov)

after dinner i part ways with my friends, feelings a bit emotionally exhausted. tomorrow is the first task, and every time y/n would speak i couldn't stop thinking about what she was up against in less than 24 hours. as they walk down towards the dungeons, i take the opposite direction... up towards the astronomy tower, the only place i can ever seem to clear my head.

the door opens and fresh air greets me. i breath a little sigh of relief, leaning back against the wall and sliding down the cold stones, sitting down and letting my head rest against the castle. i can see down into the quidditch pitch, where i can tell there are making preparations for the competition tomorrow. i quickly look away. i came up here to take my mind off that. in a second, my owl comes soaring down, and i extend my arm for him to land on.

"hello, perseus" i smile slightly and he gives me a funny look, "here" i raise my arm up to direct him to perch on one of the lights, standing up myself as i do so, "be right back" i nod slightly to him, knowing he understands me, and slip back inside, heading into the classroom. i search quickly for a quill and paper, writing out a short note and then going back outside, letting perseus clutch it between his talons. he flies off not even seconds later, and i'm left to wait.

__________________________

when she arrives, i'm looking out at the water. i can hear the door open, and her soft footsteps behind me.... but i wait until she speaks to turn around.

"must you always ask to meet after curfew?" i look back at her, standing in the doorway, her face framed perfectly from the light in the hallway behind her. she smirks slightly at me, tilting her head.

"i prefer it up here at night" i say quietly, "helps me think" i look back at the grounds, trying to think of what i want to say to her

"are you alright?" she says softly. i can hear her walk towards me as i lean down against the railing, taking a deep breath.

"i wanted to wish you luck for tomorrow" i swallow nervously. i haven't been able to talk to her about the competition all day, but i figure i should at least say that much.

"oh well.. thank you" her voice is a little shaky as she leans against the railing next to me, "is that all?" she elbows me slightly, getting me to sway back and forth. i can hear her laugh slightly.... i don't know how she's able to laugh right now.

i look over at her, seeing her smiling back at me. i think again, finally asking what i've been wanting to say, "cedric he..." i trail off, do i ask about them? or do i- "i would like to know what he asked you about" i finish, figuring that is a little bit less of a shocking question.

"it was just about the competition, draco" i look up at her, seeing her shaking her head... almost laughing, "he was wondering my theories on what we'll have to do, said he had wished i had met with him and harry when they discussed it"

"oh" i nod, look at me... worrying about nothing again, "alright" i turn towards the sky, "you know i think i've started to get the hang of astronomy" i look down at her, making sure she's watching me. i hope she'll be impressed, i've been practicing every time i come up here. "that's cassiopeia, isn't it?" i point up to the sky at a constellation right above us

"close, that ones slightly to the right, and down" i feel her press against my side, her chin on top of my shoulder. my breath falters for a second, but i keep looking at the sky as she wraps her hand around my wrist, adjusting where i'm pointing to, "the one you were pointing to is the dragon, funnily enough" she chuckles, letting go of my wrist.

i feel her still leaned against me, her head now off my shoulder. i can feel my heart racing a little faster than normal. i look down over at her, seeing her still looking up at the sky. my eyes scan her face... seeing her smiling up at the stars. i slowly move my hand down the railing, until i feel hers. she looks down at me suddenly. i hadn't realized how close she was until she's staring right back at me, our faces only inches apart.

"draco...?" she says quietly, meeting my eyes. i search her eyes, seeking for permission to lean in. without thinking, i start to move forward, but before anything else can happen, a loud bang comes from behind us. i snap my head away from hers, looking to the door. i see filch staring back at us and i stare back blankly, in shock of what almost happened. i'm even more shocked that i... wanted it to happen. shit, i think, maybe daphne's right.

__________________________

filch brings us back down to the common room. i come up with some shit excuse that we messed up the days, thought that we had astronomy that night. i don't know if he quite believes me... but he doesn't give us detention, which is a miracle in itself. we step through the entrance as filch shoves us through, us landing further apart, awkwardly staring at each other.

"lucky he was in a good mood tonight, right?" i chuckle slightly, trying to break the ice. we both know what almost happened up there... but i don't think either of us want to talk about it

"yeah... lucky us" she looks away from me, into the common room.

"um.. well" i clear my throat a little, trying to get her to look back at me. "i- we.. you should get some sleep" i stammer, feeling more nervous know that she's looking at me again, "want to be rested for tomorrow" i look into her eyes hopefully, seeing if she'll make a move, but she just stares back at me... "sorry to keep you up" i sigh, turning and starting to walk to the dorms, feeling like tonight was a waste.

"draco?" she says quietly. i turn back to her, seeing her staring back at me. my breath stops, hoping she'll come closer again, "i'll see you in the morning?" is all she says, raising her eyebrow a bit

i nod slightly, a little disappointed that that was all she had to say, "yeah, of course. i'll be with you right until the moment they feed you to the dragon" i chuckle, trying to pretend i'm not freaking out over the prospect of her being in the vicinity of one. i look at her, trying to picture her fighting a dragon.... i can't.

"thanks for inspiring confidence the night before the competition" she laughs sweetly, looking down at her feet with a smile

"i'm trying to throw you off your game" i smirk, beginning to walk away "think i'm going to start routing for potter, "you're overrated" i shrug, trying to get back to our normal, casual, slightly flirtatious conversations... but i can feel myself smiling more than usual. something's changed.

"oh shove off, malfoy" she smiles widely

"whatever you say, y/l/n" i smile, tilting my head. i see her blush slightly and i turn around, jogging up the stairs.

i don't think i have to be worried about cedric anymore

__________________________

HIII here's the chapter from draco's pov! i'll post the next chapter tonight :) thank u for all of the love on the last chapter!!

vote/comment/share! xx

p.s. thank you for 20k READS!!!! and 1k votes! <3