chapter 30

cedric and i jog down the hallway, having to walk every now and then as we pass other groups of students, most of which wave and say hi to cedric.

"it's right this way" cedric whispers, turning down a large, brightly lit corridor in the basement. the wall is decorated with hundreds of colorful food themed paintings, "i suppose with all of this the entrance isn't that secret" cedric laughs, "it's more a matter of knowing which painting does the trick" i watch as he approaches a picture of a fruit bowl, reaching out and tickling at the pear.

"what're you..." i start to say, but trail off as the pear turns into a large green door handle, which cedric pulls on to reveal a passageway

"this way to the kitchens m'lady" cedric bows jokingly, gesturing towards the doorway. i laugh slightly and duck into the corridor, walking down until we entire the kitchen. we sneak some pudding and eat quickly, before i tell cedric i should be heading back. i say goodbye and start heading down towards the dungeons, with an overwhelming sense of guilt. i step into the common room, seeing only draco sitting on the couches.

"wondering when you would turn up" he says, sitting up straighter, "i was about to send out a search party"

"sorry" i say, coming to sit next to him, "i was working" he raises his eyebrow, and i know he's skeptical.... but i don't feel like telling him the truth. although i don't like cedric. sure, he's handsome, but i would rather be friends with him. so really, what's the harm if i did tell draco? still, i can't bring myself to do it.

"thank you, for what you did at dinner" i turn my head toward draco, smiling

"of course" he smiles back, "you know i'm not a complete ass" i laugh slightly and he pushes me slightly, beginning to laugh as well, "shut up"

"make me" i say quickly back, and both of our laughter pauses. we look at each other for a moment, draco's smirk fading for a second before he clears his throat.

"we should go to sleep" he says, spinning around and standing up, smoothing down his robes, "i'll see you in the morning y/n"

"yeah.. goodnight" i smile softly as he walks out of view. i cover my mouth, not believing what i've said. i laugh to myself as i walk back to the dorms. first weeks over and i can already tell, this year is going to be interesting.

_________________________

a month goes by of school. i've become better friends with cedric, although i don't spend loads of time with him, because i fear he got the wrong idea when we went to the kitchen's together. i do, however, spend loads of time with draco. he's very difficult to read, at times we'll be having fun, and even flirting slightly, and then the next moment he will go back to being his cold, rude self. i suppose he's not used to showing emotion. i try not to take it personal. blaise has slowly assimilated himself back into our group, there's not many other people for him to talk to, so all of us tolerate him, although him and i are no longer close at all.

it's the end of october, wednesday morning, and draco and i are working with our skrewts in care of magical creatures. we're all still guessing at what they eat, yet they are growing scarily fast. hagrid suggests that we come visit on alternate evenings to take notes on their progress.

"i will not" draco says, "i see enough of these foul things during lessons, thanks"

i sigh, covering my face in embarrassment as hagrid looks at us, "yeh'll do what yer told" hagrid growls, "or i'll be taking a leaf outta professor moody's book.. i hear yeh make a good ferret, malfoy"

with that, all of the gryffindor's burst into laughter. i laugh along with them for a moment before realizing none of the other slytherin's found it funny, so i shut my lips tightly and watch draco turn red with anger, but also keep his mouth shut.

"you'll be coming to check on them for us" he mutters, turning back and sitting next to me.

"are you kidding" i scoff, "we'll go together, malfoy" he rolls his eyes, but doesn't protest. when class finishes, we walk back up toward the castle, headed for herbology. after that class (in which we study the herbivicus charm), we're on the way to lunch when we notice a crowd in the entrance hall.

"what's everyone looking at?" i say to draco, nodding to the other students. he's a bit taller than me, so he peers over the crowd, trying to get a look.

"there's a sign" he says, "can't read it" he then walks away towards the people, shoving some out of the way so he can get to the front. quietly i follow after him through the path he creates, coming to stop in front of the large sign.

- TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT -

The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will be arriving at 18 o'clock on Friday the 30th of October. Lessons will end half an hour early. Students will return their bags and books to their dormitories and assemble in front of the castle to greet our guests before the Welcoming Feast.

"wow the triwizard tournament? here?" i say with delight, "i wonder who will enter"

"dunno" draco shrugs, "we don't even get to miss any class, we have a free period"

"who cares about that" i roll my eyes, "it'll be so exciting to meet the other schools. my father went to durmstrang" i say as we peel away from the crowd, walking into the great hall. as we walk in, harry, ron and hermione emerge from behind us, walking with ernie macmillan "did you see the sign?" i immediately asked them. i look to see that draco has stopped next to me, and i pray he doesn't say anything rude to them.

"just read it" harry says, "only a week away!"

"we're excited cause we skip out on potions" ron laughs as ernie runs further into the great hall, to the hufflepuff table, "where's he off to?"

"went to tell cedric about the tournament" hermione says, turning to face us

"cedric?" ron says blankly

"diggory" harry and i say at the same time, "he must be entering the tournament" harry finishes

"that idiot? hogwarts champion" draco says, ron even laughs along. he must not be fond of cedric either.

"he's not an idiot" i glare at back at him, "draco just doesn't like him because he's beaten us at quidditch"

"same with ron" hermione laughs, "besides, he is a really good student-- and he's a prefect"

"you only like him cause he's handsome" ron says scathingly. hermione flushes and we all chuckle, saying goodbye and parting ways.

"i'm very impressed draco" i say to him as we walk to the slytherin's, "you didn't insult harry or ron once"

"i really tried" he sighs, "did you see weasley's robes? massive hole in the front" he shakes his head, "took everything in me not to point it out"

_________________________

as you can see, draco is slowly becoming more bearable lmao. next chapter will b out tomorrow! excited for the triwizard tournament to start :)

vote/comment/share! xx

p.s. thank you for 9k reads, 1k comments, and 500 votes!!