chapter 15

by sunday, a troll is stationed outside of the gryffindor common room, and curfew is moved up to 9 pm. first years aren't allowed out on the grounds after dinner. with all of the tightened security, everyone has been pretty bummed out the past few days.

"did your mum write you back" i say to draco as we study together in the library. we're studying fire salamanders first period tomorrow, and need to know what to feed them, uses of their blood, and common disease they're affected by, by the start of class.

"yeah she says hi" he continues flipping through his books, "wants to have you back during the summer break. said not to worry about" he looks up, checking that no one is near, "sirius. thinks he's after potter"

"well don't you think you should tell someone that?" i put down my book, turning to face him.

"i'm sure it'll be fine" he shrugs, "potter's got the whole school looking after him. even black won't be able to get to him"

i nod, seeing his point. we return to studying, and soon enough we have all of the answers we need for class tomorrow

__________________________

"okay kids partner up. get out 'yer papers and write down the answers to the questions i asked ya last week" hagrid walks around the yard between the makeshift desks he's set out for us, mostly made of tree stumps and bark. 

"y/n you wanna be partners?" i hear blaise over my shoulder

"sorry blaise, i had planned to go with draco" i frown and turn away from him, "next time, i promise" blaise smiles and goes with a slytherin girl i don't know very well, millicent, as i walk over to where draco's already seated

"what'd he want" draco says as he begins to write down the answers

"asked me to be his partner" i shrug, sitting down

"you told him no, then?" he looks up at me

"well obviously" i laugh, "i am sitting with you aren't i?"

draco nods, a small red tinge appearing on his cheeks as he looks back down at the paper, finishing the last sentence

for salamanders to survive outside of their flame feed them: pepper 

salamander blood has: regenerative properties, used in potions

salamander's often suffer from: scale rot, causes them to lose their tail

i nod as he has me check what he wrote, before i raise my hand. hagrid comes and collects our sheet, nodding with a smile on his face as he tells us all of our answers are correct

"thank you professor" i smile, draco only mutters something under his breath, but i think it's a thank you

__________________________

"turn to page 394" professor snape drawls from the front of the classroom. he's just burst in and shut all of the blinds in our defense against the dark arts class. i try to catch draco's attention, who's sitting one desk in front of me across the aisle, to see if he knows what's going on, but he doesn't look back. i'm sitting with pansy, who i give a questioning look to. she just shrugs and opens her book, so i do to.

"excuse me sir" i hear harry from the front of the class, "where's professor lupin" glad someone asked, i think to myself, before thanking god i wasn't the one who did when i see snape glaring at potter.

"that's not really your concern, is it potter?" draco chuckles a little at snape's response, "it's suffice to say that your professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. turn to page 394" snape says again as he reaches the projector a the back of the classroom. i look up at harry, annoyed he hasn't opened his book yet. he always gets snape so worked up, usually ruining the mood for the entire class.