chapter 49

draco explains to me what happens last night. he seems distressed throughout the whole recall, constantly having to pause and clear his throat, which is shaky and raw during the rant. he seems like he had been crying for awhile before i showed up

"why didn't you tell me you were drunk?" i say after he finishes

"i didn't think you would be too happy about that either" he says quietly. he's right, i'm not. but it's loads better than me believing he willingly kissed flora, "i was so far gone i hadn't even realized what had really happened until you started screaming at me. then it all came flooding back..."

"are you alright?" i say quietly, reaching out and putting my hand over his

"yeah, yeah" he nods, smiling, "i'm fine. as long as you're not mad-"

"i am the farthest thing from mad, draco. i'm more... concerned, for your sake"

"like i said, i'm fine" he nods, "so, then?" he sighs, "am i still getting pushed to the curb" he chuckles a little, trying to make light of the horrible situation.

"not completely" i say quietly, "i think we both need to sort out some things" i sigh, "figure out how we feel.... how to communicate with each other. and you, i'm sure, need a minute, no matter how fine you say you are"

"i know how i feel" he says, "i think the kiss made it pretty obvious-"

"okay well then i need to figure out how i feel" i say. he doesn't respond, looking down at his hands, seeming disappointed, "look quite a lot's happened in the past 24 hours and i need a break. and i'm sure you do to" i add, somewhat sternly, "neither of us should  be making any decisions right now"

"but you're not mad?" he raises his eyebrows

"no" i shake my head, "i'm not" he smiles a little, "but no more kissing me" i point at him, "got it?"

"yes, ma'am" he hold up his hands, smiling even wider, "this relationship is strictly platonic. i wouldn't even dare to mention how fit you-"

"stop it, malfoy" i shove him backward, blushing slightly, "i said, friends, at least for now" he rolls his eyes, smirking, but doesn't say anything further.

i talk with draco in the library for a bit, letting him know we've figured out the clue for the next task. i leave out the bit about being in a bath with cedric though, for obvious reason. we're trying to turn over a new leaf, work things out, and cedric is the biggest thing that could put our relationship in jeopardy.

__________________________

"wonder what they'll take from you" draco says as we walk back down to the common room

"i feel like they'll have to ask me for it" i reply, feeling our shoulders touch as we walk, "if it's something that important to me"

"still got your ring on?" he smirks. i know he's joking but i still check. it's there. my hand flies to my neck as well, and i feel the familiar charm underneath my fingers. i breathe a sigh of relief. i can see draco notices, and i lower my hand from my chest, clearing my throat.

"it's still far away" i shrug, "they'll probably wait a bit to take it"

he says the password and the wall opens up. we step in to the common room together, met by all of our friends faces. they all stare up at us from their seats on the floor or the couches, trying to gauge our moods. lucky for them, since we've got everything sorted, we just sit down along with them. conversation carries on, we laugh, exchange gifts (we didn't yesterday since we were busy with the ball), and everything almost feels.... normal.

__________________________

draco's pov

"you coming, mate?" goyle says as him and the others climb up the guys staircase. we just finished unwrapping gifts and eating together around the fire in the common room. i look back over my shoulder to see y/n cleaning up all the paper... by herself.

"i'll be up in a minute" i yell back to him, turning around and jumping down the bottom few steps. silently, i go over to her and start picking up things as well. she looks over at me, meets my eyes, and smiles.

"you don't have to help, draco" she says, turning back and grabbing more trash, using her wand to throw it into the nearest bin. i shrug, continuing to help anyways.

"i'm going to talk to flora tomorrow" i announce, "tell her off"

the paper y/n had midair drops to the ground suddenly as she lowers her wand, turning to me, "really?" she says in shock.

i nod, "yeah why not" i shrug. i can see her smile as she goes back to picking up trash. i feel myself smile too. we get the last few things thrown away, and then she turns to me.

"wait here" she nods, backing away and then running up the girls staircase. i laugh a little, wondering what she's on about. i sit down on the couch, stretching my arm's across the back and putting my feet up on the table.

"get your feet off the table" i hear her scold me from behind the couch, "seriously by the looks of your house you should act like a prince, it's absurd" she rolls her eyes, hitting my leg lightly so i put them down. i chuckle a little and lower my legs, looking over at her while she sits down on the couch next to me.

"i bought this awhile ago, for you" she hands me a rectangular package, "was going to be your christmas gift but then we were fighting and... well i figured i should give it to you now"

i slowly tear open the parchment covering the gift. once it's all torn away, it reveals a small, leather bound book with a green ribbon tied around. i look at y/n, who's smiling, and nods encouragingly toward the book. i grab the end of the ribbon, pulling it off of the book and opening it.

"it's not much" she says, but i'm not really listening. i'm focused on flipping through the pages of the book, seeing various pictures of us together, some with others in our friend group as well. studying, at quidditch matches, dressed up when she's come to eat at the manor, at meals in the great hall. they've all been taken over the past two years, i can tell because she's written the date underneath each photo. on the last page is a photo i recognize, i can't believe it's only been a month since it happened. it's the picture that was in the paper of us, hugging outside of the champions tent. below it, is a picture of us on the common room couch that night. she's smiling widely, holding the egg in her hands. my arm is around her shoulders and i'm smirking down at her. as the picture moves, i look up to the camera and smile slightly, while y/n's head falls onto my shoulder. i had forgotten daphne took this of us.

"it's perfect" i say quietly, still staring at the photo. we look so happy. what the hell happened? "thank you" i give her a small smile, flipping onto the next page, but there's no pictures.

she must see me lower my brow, because she explains only seconds after, "the last few pages of the books blank. i assumed we would be taking more pictures before i gave it to you but.." she trails off, "well, you know" she finishes awkwardly, shrugging a little.

i looks over at her, shutting the book softly, "we'll fill them in" i smile, "some day"

"yeah" she smiles back, "some day"

__________________________

sorry this is a little short i couldn't write much last night because i was freaking out over the state of the nation now that rbg passed away

please look into petitions u can sign! text NTFIEZ to 50409 to sign a "no confirmation for supreme court until after inauguration day" petition

it's super important that this happens or else trump will appoint another conservative justice and there will be a 6-3 conservative majority (putting decisions like roe v. wade, and lgbtq+ rights in jeopardy... no matter who wins the presidency)

ha ha

we're f!cked

anyways i'll post again tmrw

vote/comment/share

p.s. thank u for 46k reads