Prologue

(This book was written years ago. It's in need of some editing. I'll be doing that after I finish the third and final book. Continue with that in mind or wait until it's fixed. I apologize in advance for the mess ups.)

Ally

Trees whip by my window blurring together reds and yellows as we drive in the middle of nowhere. The leaves change color, causing me to zone out. I've been so tired lately, we both have. Raising a toddler is way more work than we thought it was going to be, but a little holiday out in the woods might just be all we need. Looking to my left, I stare at the man I love.

Brown hair brushing his forehead while his brows creased, I start to laugh. "Babe, what's up? Are we lost?" I ask.

Full lips pull apart in a smile, eyes meeting mine, my breath catches. If I could have picked anything for our son to have of his, it would have been them. Specks of light brown and green fighting each other to create these eyes you could look into for days. Unfortunately, Xale, our son, got my very dark, very brown eyes, as well as my black hair. I have never thought of my eyes as anything special. On our son, they hold depth. On me, they complete the bland aesthetic I've been trying hard not to fall into my whole life. The chunky girl who dressed in all black because she wasn't comfortable with her body. That wasn't who I was anymore. At least I tried not to be, and since I got with Trevor every day I hear her voice a little less inside my head.

"No, not lost, just exploring." He laughs, but when my face falls and I raise a single eyebrow he presses his lips together and focuses back on the road. "Kidding. We are almost there." He clears his throat, the hint of a smirk tugging at the corner of his lip as he tries to compose himself.

Smacking his arm, because he deserved it, I chuckle and he barks out a laugh. Turning around in my seat, I check if Xale is still sleeping. With our dogs head in lap, he dreams away. Long eyelashes brush his chunky cheeks while little snores escape his open mouth, his rain boots kicked off. Feeling the car slow down, I face forward. Turning our truck into a long dirt driveway with trees on either side, leaves blowing across, decorating the sky already relaxing me. I grab my husbands hand that sat gently rubbing my thigh.

The car parked, I unbuckle and lean over for a kiss. Puckering my lips making kissy noises, his hand goes to the back of my neck and up into my hair before he gently meets my lips with his. It's quick but still gives me butterflies like our very first kiss five years ago. We part, and he leans his forehead against my shoulder, letting out an exhale while his fingers leave my scalp and trail down a loc of my hair. I smile as I turn and open my door quickly before running to the front steps of the log cabin.

"Last one in has to do bath time." I yell over my shoulder, laughing while stumbling up the steps and grasping the handle. Jiggling the handle, I realize it's locked and groan.

"You might need these." I turn around to see Trevor leaning up against the front of our black truck with the keys dangling from his extended hand. Boomer sniffing around his feet, tail wagging.

I bite my lips between my teeth and put my hands in the back pockets of my jeans. Then flash him a smile while I stomp down the steps, then stop. Looking him straight in the eyes, I know he knows what I'm about to do.

"ONE!" I shout and stomp my left foot out and crouch.

"Try me." He replies with a cocky half grin smeared across his face, causing a dimple to appear.