Chapter 84

It was a forty-five-minute drive into town. You stole shot-gun as to prevent yourself from sitting with Mono or Hoseok in the back. More legroom, not to mention you got to be entertained by the quick glances Jungkook provided during the drive. Watching him sweat and squirm from being so incredibly close to you without being able to acknowledge the tension between the two of you. The car came to a stop in a parking garage about two blocks from Whitmore Hotel. One that had been scouted by the group for months, being one of the few deep in the city that didn't have security cameras. The four of you couldn't be seen together by the public eye and risk being outed. 

Mono walked to the hotel from there, while Hoseok and yourself had a cab waiting outside of the parking garage to take you the rest of the way to the hotel and Jungkook would be on stand by where he was waiting for a signal to come racing over to give everyone a quick escape. It was as solid of a plan that your group was capable of, sometimes leaving the details vague left more wiggle room for opportunity. Then again, time management wasn't everyone's strong suit. Mono especially. 

The cap door flung open thanks to Hoseok's hand. A gentlemen, as expected. Hoseok prided himself on kissing his hands clean and his morals high. He didn't engage in petty arguments around the house and never truly took sides. He was the advocate for the group's survival. He only got involved it was essential, and he only took jobs that strayed from violence. Which is why you didn't work with him much. Your missions ended in bloodshed, his in a handshake. 

Stepping from the car your lengthy dress fell back to its prepper pin-straight state. Reaching up your fingers curled around the frame of your sunglasses and slapped them close. You stuffed the glasses in your back, in a sleeve just beside your gun. Hoseok may not be a violent individual, but hell would freeze over before you'd leave your room unprotected nowadays. 

Extending his elbow, Hoseok offered himself as your guide. You curled your fingers into the hook of his arm and leaned closer to him. This was an exclusive elite event for wealthy business partners to gather, Mr. Rowely just happening to be a guest appearance. Hoseok had RSVPed as representatives of a local CEO that you both were aware wouldn't be attending this event. Turns out the man had flown to France the day prior to meet up with his mistress, he wouldn't be returning anytime soon to foil your plans. 

Hoseok lead the way into the hotel, meeting with the front desk briefly before being directed toward the ballroom where the party was being held. His figure stood tall, head held high with a sharp jawline. For what you'd assume such a soft-hearted soul, he held himself with such high regard. His suit pressed and shoes professionally shined. His dark brown hair was combed back properly and styled into place. You couldn't pick out a flaw in his appearance, which was likely just one reason why he was able to win people over so easily with simply words alone. 

Reaching the ballroom, a doorman requested your names to check on the registry. Hoseok having already taken care of the details long beforehand, you two were granted entry without any hassle. Stepping inside you were created by a sea of black suits and fine dresses on slender bodies that wandered the room. The last time you saw a sea of people like this Seokjin's house, that was nearly a year ago. At least his party had more visually pleasing people, verses stuffy older men in boring black suits. 

Despite the soft hum of classical music being played by a small back in the back corner, no one danced. Bodies just stood still close to one another as they bragged about their family's recent wealth. He bought a new yaht, she bought a new pair of thousand dollar shoes. It was all about how much fine material you've accumulated versus what good you had done with your life. It was hypocritical to think like that, given your extremely high-class taste in most things. Hell, your shoes were double most people's rent. Somehow, that fact didn't seem as nice as it once was. 

Expensive clothes and overpriced merchandise just seemed like a cover now. Now many how many articles of designer clothes that hung in your closet, it didn't change the fact that you were a prisoner in the only place you had to call home. 

Hoseok's bright greeting to another man nearby snapped your head back in the game. The two shoot hands before Hoseok politely gestured to you. "This is my secretary, Miss Davis." The lies began and a new fairy tale created. In an instant, you entered your character and played your role in the letter. You bent your knee just an inch and offered a kind nod in unison. "It's a pleasure." Shifting your purse you grasped onto the strap with two hands as you gave off the impression that you were meek and intimidated by the 'big bad executives'. Meanwhile these men probably didn't even have what it took to dry clean your clothes. 

"Miss?" The strange suited man questioned, before catching himself in his predatory response. "The pleasure is all mine." He purred softly as his gaze narrowed in on you. Sleaze. Unmarried woman under thirty that was declared modern days ideal of beauty in a room like this was like tossing a bitch into a pack of mutts during breeding season. Your eyes shifted to Hoseok and you catch his glimpse back. He made that declaration on purpose, he wanted attention to shift to you so he could more easily conceal something he would do or say later. 

You took the hint and adjusted your strategy to match his flow. Despite the fact that you two had never worked a case together, your ability to read the situation together seemed unmatched with anyone else. As opposed to Taehyung who would switch up the story on a whim just to see you struggle, Hoseok had meaning in his actions. Even if you weren't sure what they were just yet. You only hoped that meant the night would go a bit more smoothly, thus getting over with faster.