Chapter 40

After a short search, you encountered Mr. Roth during a business conversation with a couple of men. He looked rather bored, and the glint in his eyes almost begged to be saved. Business conversations weren't the party's focus, so you understood his dismay. 

Wandering up with the remainder of your drink, you tread lightly, careful not to alert the other men. Three... two... oops. You let your right ankle buckle and caused your balance to be thrown off. You came stumbling right toward Phillip Roth, who caught sight of you just in time to latch his arms under your shoulders and save you. Your drink hit the dark carpet and splashed against the Oxford shoes of one of the men in the conversation.

"I'm so sorry!" You quickly erupted as you looked up at Phillip with exaggerated worry and regret. Phillip helped you back to your feet before taking stake of the damage to the fellow man's shoe.

"Ah, it's just a few drops," Phillip said as he pulled out the handkerchief in his breast pocket and offered it to the other man. "It'll be fine." Phillip kept one arm wrapped around your shoulder as he continued about business so easily.

"Yes. No worries." The other man said nervously as he took the offer from Phillip and brought the cloth closer to himself.

Phillip turned his attention back to you, quickly noticing how you kept your foot elevated and refused to push it back onto the carpet. His brows flickered in concern as he leaned over for a better look.

"My, you're hurt. Here." Without asking permission or even hinting at what he would do, he swept an arm under your legs and quickly hoisted you up, genuinely causing you to yelp with surprise. "If you'll excuse me, gentlemen." He said simply as he began to carry you through the small sea of quaking men. He headed to a nearby living room clad in grey leather, carrying you bridal style.

You kept your arms wrapped snugly around Phillip's neck as he carried you to the couch, out of most of the prying eyes, including Taehyung and Rina. You were set down gently as you whispered a simple 'thank you' shyly under your breath. Phillip took a seat beside you.

Leaning over, you placed a hand over your ankle and rubbed it softly before clicking free the strap of your golden plaited heels wrapped around your feet. You slipped your foot free onto the white Persian rug and fluttered your lashes as you offered a bashful look up at Phillip.

"Are you okay?" He asked softly, hunching forward to try and survey the damage. He kept his hands respectfully to himself now.

"Yes. I'm okay." Nervous laughter escaped your painted pink lips as you curled a lock of long blonde hair behind your ear. "Would you get mad if I told you a secret?"

"Secret?" He perked up, softly leaning back in his seat with a gentle mask of surprise.

"I may have done that on purpose..." you pinched your lips together as you looked away with a sense of playfulness and coy flirtation.

"Why?" His brows dipped. You couldn't tell whether he was becoming genuinely curious or angry at your childish behavior.

"I may or may not have wanted your attention..." you softly responded as your head tilted back his way. "Plus, you looked like you were getting a bit bored of the conversation, am I right?" A sweet but laced deep giggle left your lips as you tried to butter the man up. "Are you mad?" 

There was silence after your question that left you in suspended anticipation. Admittedly, you started to hold your breath. Your little 'trick' could have backfired and caused ill will to be formed between you and your hit, making the assassination attempt a little more difficult, given your usual method was seduction. You waited in tension, the seconds starting to tick by before-- 

He laughed deeply as his head lowered. He shook his head as his smile grew bigger. He wasn't unattractive; his smile was charming, but you still kept your eyes on the prize. It wasn't so much about the mission anymore. You cared more about winning the bet placed with Taehyung. "I can't remember the last time a woman was so bold as to risk injury just to get my attention." He finally admitted as his blue eyes made their way back to you. You released that held breath from your lungs. 

"Are you saying I wasn't the first?" You huffed playfully before whining. "I guess I should get more creative from here on out." You added as you gently let one hand slither from your lap and plant onto the ball of his knee. "Thankfully, I've got a few ideas brewing..." You added as your voice dropped to a sultry whisper. Your tongue escaped your lips as it slowly licked across the painted surface, catching his attention. 

"Why don't we go upstairs for a drink then?" Phillip offered as he extended out his hand, palm up, for you to take. A soft smile graced his pearly white teeth as he played the field, starting the little game of false attraction. Placing your palm into his, you offered a soft nod in agreement as you picked up your heels with your free hand and stood with him. 

He held your hand firmly, lacing your fingers together without shame. A few heads turned your way, but the room knew what this party was for. You saw the disdain in a few women's eyes as if they lost the battle for the bachelor, though that term seemed so loose. He was a betrothed man with a free pass to fool around with his fiance's permission. 

As you headed for the stairs, you passed the archway that windowed into the room you had last left Taehyung and Rina. Taking a quick survey, you noticed his hand around her waist, and her head curled into the crook of his neck. Your lids fell halfway as a smirk crossed your features. You still planned to win his bet and felt confident that you would. He could get as friendly as he wanted with Rina, but little did he know - you had already won.