Chapter 19

Well, at least he didn't disappoint. He managed to last for two hours, you had successfully worn the older man out, and after round two, he was out cold. At least he made it that far; you expected a one-hit wonder. He wasn't the worst person you had slept with nor the least attractive, so you'd take the win. 

The mansion had fallen silent; the guests were long gone. You had pretended to sleep for the past hour, making sure Mr. Mayers was out cold before you dared to move. You began to hear soft snoring beside you and figured he wasn't getting up soon. You pulled yourself from under the sheets slowly and inched out of bed. Quickly you gathered up your clothes and slipped them back on in a silent lighting speed race. 

Carrying your heels in your hand, you headed for the door. You twisted the knob and pulled it open slowly as if defusing a bomb that would burst at any second. You popped your head out of the door and glanced down the hall both ways to see if the coast was clear; it was well past three in the morning. You were worried about a lone housekeeper that happened to be a night owl roaming about, but the mansion was dead. 

You darted from the room and started your search for his office. Carefully choosing which doors to open and look into and which ones to likely avoid. In the end, you found his office on the first floor behind a locked door. Reaching into your clutch, you pulled a small leather pouch that contained your lock pick and quickly made work of the lock. It took a few tries, as you weren't the handiest with the makeshift devices. If you had it your way, you'd have just shot the lock, but you couldn't be sure you were alone yet, not to mention Mr. Mayers was still alive. You had to ensure the information was here before you killed the only man with the information you needed. Well, the information that R wanted. 

You slipped into the office and set your heels on the leather couch by the door. You headed for the computer first and opened it. A box tower? Seriously? I couldn't just be a laptop, so you could snag it and run? That's what happens when your assignment is an older man who isn't as inept with technology as they should be. And, of course, it was passworded. You hurried into his computer chair and began to use a few of the tricks that Mono had taught you on your previous missions to gain access to a password-protected device; within a minute, you were in. 

"Thank you, Mono~" You whisper under your breath as you began to rummage through the electric files. You dug deep, letting your fingers type rapidly as you clicked on anything important. Maybe you could email the files to R, but you didn't have his email address. Shit. Maybe you could email them to yourself. 

Your eyes went wide, and you stared at the wooden surface. The place fell silent; maybe it was just the wind. You pick up your pace. You scoured the computer, ensuring everything that could be useful was collected in a single folder. Detailed plans on demolishing entire neighborhoods to build supermarkets and stores along with an unnecessary mall. You found emails sent to local news agencies, peddling the story he wanted them to tell instead of uncovering the truth, the lies he told to others to sway them to his side. 

"Kaitlyn?" A voice called out, and your heart instantly froze. Was he awake?! Already? 

"I think she went this way, Sir." Another voice whispered along with his. He wasn't alone. Shit. This plan was botched. "Should I get security?" He questioned soon after. You were about outnumbered; you hadn't even realized there was security on this property. 

You tried to think on your feet. You had to get out of there now. Collecting all the files you clicked on the last email you read to the local KBC News network. You dragged the gathered files into the email and hit send. Pulling your phone from your bag, you quickly typed a rapid-fire message to Jungkook. 

'Meet me at the house behind Mayers. Now.'

Pulling the plug on the computer, you rushed to the window; darting for your heels, you snagged them and fumbled with the lock before it unlocked. Popping the window up, you tossed your feet over the seal and hopped from the window. You shut the window behind yourself, trying not to leave a trace before you quickly let your eyes dart around. The coast was clear; maybe security was already heading inside. You ran for the back fence; having nearly a football field length of a backyard, you tried to stay out of the light, hoping this would keep you off security cameras. You reached the six-foot privacy fence and flung your shoes and purse over the wood. Reaching up, you jumped and grabbed the plants, quickly yanking yourself up and rolling over the fence. You missed the footing and quickly slammed into the ground on the other side. 

"Fuck!" You yelled in a raised whisper before quickly scrambling to your feet. This operation was trashed, and you quickly regretted your actions. This was your first task alone, and you fucked it up. Now you would have to deal with R's repercussions and hear the lecture that you should never have been left to your own devices. That you still needed to be babysat. 

You ripped through the second backyard as you ran through a stranger's property. You climbed another fence, this one much smaller, much to your gratitude toward the unknown occupant. You hit the front yard and could see the stretch white limo parked right out front; Jungkook was waiting by the back door as you booked it like rabid dogs were gaining on your ass. His eyes widened as he saw you running as if your life depended on it. 

"Get in the car!" You called out to him, trying to scream and alert anyone. "Go. Go. Go." You ordered, quickly reaching the passenger door of the limo as Jungkook raced for the driver's side. You flung yourself into the car just seconds before Jungkook climbed in. "Get us the fuck outta here, Kook!" You finally let your voice break free. 

You slapped your hand on the dash, glaring out the passenger side window to see if you were being followed. Thankfully, there was no one. Though, that didn't mean you were out of the woods yet. Jungkook punched the gas, making the limousine rev angerly as much as it could. You kept your eyes glued on the back window as you raced off. 

It wasn't until you were safe a few blocks away that you relaxed and reached up to grab your blonde locks and yank the false hair from your head. YOu felt like you were going to overheat, everything was sweating. You laced your fingers into your matted blue mane and shoot it free, trying to catch your breath. 

"What the hell happened back there, Y/N?!" Jungkook gave you a quick look from the driver's seat but tried to focus mainly on the road as he broke speed limit laws. 

"Things didn't go according to plan." You said between panting breaths. For once, you wished the sight of his bushy blonde locks brought your ease, but you were too rattled.

"Clearly!" He barked back before slapping his hand on the wheel. "R isn't going to like this..." He added, letting his voice calm down as he took pity on you. 

"No shit." You replied. You lowered your head, swallowing your empty throat as his words sunk in. Damn, you weren't even sure you could imagine what would happen to you because of this. 

Slamming yourself back in your seat, you stared at the roof of the car, trying to mentally prepare yourself for whatever punishment was going to be dealt because of this. Maybe if Mono was home, you could force him to go with you to lessen the blow. Would it make a difference? 'We'll just have to see and find out.'