Chapter 27

His hand left his jacket and swung out. The gesture was so fast you couldn't see what he had unveiled until you heard the thud on the glass coffee table. Your eyes shot in the direction of the item thrown and locked eyes with a surprising sight. It was cash... a great deal of it. 

"The fuck is this?" You let your irritation bite at your tone, stemming from the fact that you half expected to be shot at that moment. You tucked your arms together, folding them under your bust as you curled in on yourself. More games; it always felt like some game. 

"Payment for completing the job." R waved his hand toward the wad of cash before folding his hands comfortably in his lap. He leaned back in the leather chair and let his head fall softly to the side. Those bleach-blonde locks lightly grazed his forehead as he appeared to be fighting back a smile. 

"Payment?" You couldn't help but feel taken back, questioning what was happening here. Your eyes wandered to the stack of money, rolling over the layered bills. There had to be at least ten grand there, give or take. 

"It took you two tries, but you completed the job, didn't you?" R's brow raised closer to his hairline, giving you a questionable look. You could see his folded palms, one finger lightly tapping at his clasped hands, seeming uneasy. 

This was a trick question; it had to be. Your brows crumbled down, wrinkles gracing the sides of your eyes as you remained tense under his stare. He could quickly see you had no intention of verbally responding to such a question, and he let that smirk of his break free. A gust of wind left his lips in a small burst, chased by an ominous laugh. 

"The money is yours." He stated in a 'matter of fact' tone. "You might take me for a stickler for punishment--" His thick lips popped on his last word, just the phrase bringing a rush of memories to your subconscious. "But, your punishment ultimately lead to the job being finished the right way." His broad shoulders bounced in a lazy shrug. "It just proves my methods work." 

"You consider rape an acceptable punishment for failing a job?!" Your words hissed from your lips as your gaze became more piercing. Your teeth bared as your upper lip twitched in a snarl. You felt like you were being played with, toyed with like some doll, and it made your blood boil. 

"Rape?" His laugh became more pronounced. His smile grew as that deep rumbling left his throat more heartily. "I don't think you can call it that when you begged for more." He leaned into the left side of his seat, inching just slightly closer to you as his thick lips spread into that devious smile he displayed so well. "You can detest my methods, Princess, but don't lie to me." 

Your gaze ripped away from him, quickly whipping your head in the opposite direction. The veins in your neck raised as your jaw clenched tightly, biting down your words. He had a point, and you fucking hated that he had a point. You heard him begin to shuffle in his seat but kept your gaze averted. You flinched when you felt something suddenly fall into your lap. Your head whirled back around. 

"You enjoyed it." R put simply as he pulled his hand back from the bundle of cash he had taken from the coffee table and tossed it into your crossed legs. "Though I wasn't counting on you enjoying your punishment, it doesn't make it much of a punishment then." He leaned back in his seat, getting comfortable again. "But, the fact that you resent that you did enjoy it is good enough for me." 

Unfolding your arms, you quickly snagged the wag of cash from your lap and tucked it away in the breast pocket of your leather jacket, where you had been keeping your gun just earlier. You didn't meet his gaze, but from the corner of your eye, you could still see that shit-eating grin plastered on his beautiful face. Pressing your hands into the couch, you ripped yourself off the sofa and moved to stand. 

"If that's all, I'm returning to my room." Abruptly you stated as you turned your face to him, though you couldn't bring your eyes to meet those earthy hues. Your fingers curled into fists beside your hips, trying to regain your composure and calm your nerves. 

"By all means." His deep voice lulled into the open air as he gestured an arm toward the door before resting it comfortably on the right side of the armrest. 

You rounded the coffee table as soon as you were given the okay, taking the 'longer route' to avoid getting any closer to the man you despised so greatly. You went to pass his seated frame when a tattoed hand abruptly cut you off. 

'Tsk, ' His tongue hissed. You shot your head to the side, looking down at him as you questioned what he could want now. 

"One last thing--" He turned over his palm and held it up to you, waiting for it to be filled. "That flash drive you collected from Mr. Mayers's place." His finger curled inward a few times, signaling you to hurry. For a moment, you were astonished. 

The capabilities of this man to know every deal of an assignment before the information ever left your lips. How could he possibly know that you collected the data from Mayers computer and brought it with you? How could he not assume you just went back to kill him, and that be the end of it? Sure, he could be guessing, but that seemed a bit of a stretch. It was as if he took every step you would take before it was taken. 

Reaching into your pocket, you pulled the flash drive and quickly slapped it into the waiting palm of R. You went to rip your hand back immediately after, but his long fingers quickly engulfed your hand and held it in a tight vise grip. You hissed, winching faintly at the strength of his grip as your eyes bored holes into the side of his gaze. 

He gave your hand a yank, roughly pulling you down and toward his seated body. You slapped your free hand against the arm of the chair to keep as much distance between the two of you as possible, which was only about five inches. 

"It's okay to enjoy it, Princess." His deep voice lulled toward you in a calm, slow whisper. Those deep amber eyes bouncing between your own, searching into the window of your soul. One side of his lips turned up in a sinister smirk as a dimple pierced his cheek. 

"I'm not your goddamn princess." You reiterated, your teeth biting at the air, silently wishing it was his throat as you could rip it clean from his body. You had given in to him once, and it was going to his head, you should have just let him rape you. He was so high on his horse that he could see the next country from up there; everyone below him was nothing more than shit on his horse's hooves. Your eyes burning with hatred. 

His dark gaze broke free from your eyes, trailing slowly across your face. They found their way to your neck as he took a survey before moving down to your bust, torso, hips, then legs. His gaze was so slow you could almost feel his eyes crawling over your skin, sending a chill of disgust shivering through your body and leaving the most daunting residue on your skin, but with a blink, he met your gaze again. 

"Looking like that--" His tongue snaked from his thick lips, licking across them slowly before letting them stretch thin as he smiled. "You just might be."