Chapter 13

The truck returned to Halcyon Hall, coming to a rolling stop as you heard the gravel of the old worn-out driveway pop and crack under the mass of the truck. The vehicle pulled around back, a secluded area covered by overgrown shrubbery and contoured tree branches that helped hide it from view, at least for the time being. Not many drive down Pine Street, but it was enough that a spontaneous person could call the cops and report a vehicle at the old abandoned mansion that was being used as an organization for the most renowned gang in the underworld that terrorized Stocgate.

Popping the tailgate, you slipped your heels back on and jumped out of the bed of the pick-up. Mono and Jungkook were quick to follow suit as they claimed out of the Dodge and the three of you made hast to get into the back entrance of the mansion. 

The interior was a palace compared to the broken-down outside. A good mirage to fool locals who thought it was nothing more than a decrepit mansion that was due for demolishment any day now. Occasionally, a stray group of teenagers would come and try and sneak in. To keep the charade up, however, they had a security guard stationed outside that played like a cop parading the area to ward off teens. 

Your skin was kissed by the lavender-scented warm air that helped ward off the creeping cold of the outside, an outlandish aroma of charcoal flames and cinnamon. The scent, however, sweet was short-lived as the stench of metallic blood drifted up from your dress and made you crinkle your nose in disgust. 

"I need a shower..." You groaned, taking a hard left after you entered the living area and headed for the stairs. Taking a soft grip on your slip dress, you hiked it up a few inches from your ankles to not step on the end. 

"We's gotta report back to R abou--" Your brother's annoying voice hit your ears, just as you expected. You knew what he was going to say, and he knew already you had no interest in it. 

"Shower first~!" You cut Mono off. A new habit she had taken up and her new favorite sport, cut Mono off. No matter what, you found a reason to avoid R and having to report a day's mission back to him. You'd use any excuse to avoid seeing that man. 

"I ain't bringin' you yo cut no more." Mono clicked his tongue, letting it glide over his teeth with annoyance. He knew you were purposely avoiding R, each time he tried to convince you to face him - at the very least to get your pay - you always refused. 

"Well--" Stopping midway up the winding staircase, you leaned against the railing and looked down at him and little 'Kook. You bent a knee and let your spine curve while your backside popped out. "Maybe Jungkook would be willing to bring it up to my room~?" You questioned, letting your voice purr toward the boys as your tongue snaked flirtatiously from your lips. Mono rolled his eyes. 

"Can't. Promised some of the guys I'd hit the bar with them tonight." He shrugged his muscular shoulders and gave you an apologetic look with those chocolate brown doe eyes. This wasn't the first time you had so blatantly hit on him; surely it wouldn't be the last. 

Just as you avoided R, Jungkook seemed to keep an arm's length distance from you for whatever reason. You could only assume it was because of his younger age, and maybe your brash nature intimidated him, which only made him that more enticing. 

"Fine." You nodded, releasing the railing as you stood straight up and flashed your gaze to Mono. "Wait for me then. We'll go after I shower." 

"No. We go now, or you's go alone." Mono demanded, tucking the laptop deeper under his arm. The annoyance radiated off his gruff features like a thick fog. 

You rolled your eyes, still not responding well to commands even though Mono had been more or less in charge of you. Waving your hand, you dismissed the pointless argument. You assumed no matter what you did; he'd wait. Confidence was a stain you couldn't wash off, but cockiness could be nothing more than a burden sometimes. You headed up the stairs, ignoring his warning as you disappeared into your room. He'd get your cut from R; you'd get it from him later. No matter the crappy relationship between you and Mono, he still did things to help care for you. You were taking that for granted, and you felt it was your right after what he did when he abandoned you at the orphanage.