Chapter 3

A cock of the man's brow, barely visible over unruly raven hair in desperate need of a trim. He didn't recognize your face. Before giving him a chance, you quickly raised your hand to cover your mouth and nose, a makeshift mask you were trying to play off as a shy girl's attempt to hide her blush. Your eyes averted off to the side as you couldn't meet those familiar, daunting eyes.

"Just... get away from me." You demanded, raising the pitch of your voice as you tried to distort it. The worst thing that could toss your entire operation in the gutter was kneeling boldly before you on the stairs.

You didn't see the resemblance. Some said you both inherited your father's nose, though his nose was pierced. He had your father's eyes, dark brown irises hooded with mystery, a life far beyond that you'd never be aware of. He had secrets that had secrets. He was covered in ink from the tips of his fingers to his chest and back. His neck had scattered markings that ran up to pierced ears. The area next to his right eye was tattoed with mysterious symbols. You kept minimal piercings and tattoos to allow more fluidity in your appearance for future recognizance missions. He, on the other hand, stuck out like a sore thumb. In a world of lavish suits and coil-tail dresses, he wore black. Ripped black jeans with an extra-large jacket a lot. A toothpick tucked between his teeth in place of a cigarette. His jet-black hair was an unruly mess. How did he make it inside looking like a hot mess?

A twist of his head and a narrowing of his eyes quickly put you on alert. He was analyzing you, shit. You had to get out of this and away from him. Quickly grabbing onto the railing, you yanked yourself up. Raising a hand, you planted it on the man's shoulder and gave it a firm shove to the side. You pushed yourself past him, heels digging into the carpeted steps. Releasing your hand from its coverage, you reached for the railing to brace the speedy getaway you were darting toward.

It was all in vain. Making it two steps down, you felt your wrist seized in a vise grip by tattooed fingers. He stopped you, nearly causing your overpriced heels to trip against the carpet.

"Can't a brotha take care of 'is lil' sis?" was all you heard before your vision went red. Boiling rage rushing through your blood, seven years' worth of anger bubbling to the surface. "Fuck off, Mono!" You barked much louder than you wanted; the music helped mask your volume. There went any chance of concealing your identity now. You ripped your hand out of his grasp and returned it to your side. Your diamond bracelet rattled against your skin as you brought your hand closer to your clutch bag. Your fingers itched to grab what was inside.

"Feisty." He hissed. "Who taught you's to speak to yo elders like dat?" He asked, taking a step down as he towered over your height, eyes in a deadlock with your own. His improper speaking pattern always irritated you. He was too lazy to speak correctly. He had been talking like that for as long as you could remember. "My piss poor older brother did."

Your electric blue hair was disguised with brunette locks. Choosing your natural hair color when the family was going to be involved in the assignment was a mistake. You hadn't seen Mono in years and figured you might never see him again. The chances seemed slim! When your luck was good, it was fantastic. When it was terrible, shit like this happened, and nothing could salvage the night.

Taking a step up, you met his height, thanks to your heels. Your black eyes bore holes into him with their burning gaze, threatening him with the fire of years of neglect and distaste. Part of you wanted him to give you a reason to get revenge in a room full of witnesses, and it'd be worth it.

"You lost the right to parent me when you sent me to that damn asylum." Snarling your upper lip, daring him to make a move out of line so that you could go feral. "I was trying to--"

"Don't give me that shit!!" Abruptly you cut him off, yelling directly in his face. A few people passing by you on their way down the stairs offered questioning glares, but the tension of the movement encouraged them to move on before they saw your wrath as well. "Now turn tail and go back to whatever jank shop those prison tattoos came from." You raised a hand, planting it onto his firm chest and giving him a shove. Older brother or not, you weren't afraid to get into a fistfight with a man. Mono hardly moved an inch against your force. The fact that he allowed himself to waver was a civil action he granted that you'd never realize. "I've got a job to do an--"

"Word." He interrupted. That lazy stare he gave your mother any time she nagged him to clean his room shined in the laser lights as they flicked across your faces in the haze of the party. Mono raised his hand and racked his fingers through his black hair managing the bushy mess. 'Use your big-boy words!' You raged internally. The fingers of your right hand curled, balling into a fist. Violence spoke louder than words. His hazed chocolate eyes stare down at you carelessly. You barely noticed it but caught the red rim outlining the whites of those dark eyes. Stoned, of course.

"I'm here, ain't I?" Your anger was replaced with exasperation as you huffed. Your arms fanning at your side, clutch in hand. "What the fuck does that mean? Are we speaking the same language?!" How could he possibly be this stupid? He was unfathomably ignorant and driving you up a wall. Mono's hands stuffed into the packets of his oversized jacket. "You's think I ain't been keepin' an eye on you's since you's left Meadow?"

"Since you're riding my ass, might as well kiss it." You hissed, leaning forward, and you refused to back down. So what? You knew he was watching you from the birthday letters around your base, and you weren't stupid like some people. "I don't give a damn what you do! Stay the fuck out of my way. If you interfere, I'll be the first to bury a bullet in your ass." Your painted lips popped with disgust as you pointed your razor-sharp nail at his face, wanting nothing more than to slice it across his jugular. In your rage, you started to forget where you were and what was at stake if you continued your irrational behavior.

"See, da problem wit dat is, my boss is also lookin' to score da client, sooo..." Grabbing onto your wrist, he quickly twisted it back away from him. You gasped through clenched teeth, shooting your eyes to his hand. He exposed your arm as his free raised to quickly plunge the point of a needle into the crook of your elbow. "I ain't got a choice here." He added, thrusting his thumb against the top of the syringe as clear liquid bled into your veins faster than you could react.

"You bastard!" You screamed, uncaring about who had heard you. A sharp shallow breath entered your lungs to fuel your hate-filled fight. You tried to yank your hand back when you felt a wave of heaviness as the narcotics began distorting your mind. Your left foot slid back, finding the end of the step and throwing you off balance. "I swear to god, I'll..." The strength in your voice was draining with each letter that left your lips.

Your lids fell slowly as if anchors were weighing them down to the darkest parts of the ocean. Your knees were growing weak and starting to buckle under your weight. You knew your brother was peddling drugs since middle school, but you'd never expected the things he possessed to be this strong. Mono's quick reflexes saved you from a considerable fall as he slipped an arm around your waist and pulled you into him. You collapsed against his chest, resting your head on his shoulder. A deer that the hunter had just shot. He scooped his other hand under your legs and hoisted you into his embrace. His arms wrapped you in a hug, more comforting than he showed when you were conscious.

The last thing you heard was the sweetened lies leaving your brother's lips as he told a concerned patron that you'd had too much to drink but that he had the situation under control. Too much to drink, bullshit. You were well known for holding your liquor better than the best of them but not well enough for a random Joe to believe such a blatant lie.

Cradled safely in his arms, Mono carefully moved through the crowd. Telling some bluntly to 'fuckin' move!' if he felt they would bump into him while he was holding you. No one stopped the grunge-looking man carrying out a divinely dressed woman. That spoke wonder of the world we live in today. They were too afraid of what Mono would do to them to consider what might happen. After all, drugs you thought were Mono's worse crime, but his sins stretched far beyond your imagination. He wasn't the same man he was seven years ago. With age comes wisdom, and with time comes mistakes. Mono's hands were stained with more than black ink, the blood that coaked his hands would never be washed clean.

He had no issues getting you back out of the building. The evening air sings with a winter chill. Mono hugged you closer to his chest to keep you warm. Your dress was thin as silk, and he was in no place to lecture you for dressing so carelessly.

Most of the crowd was inside now, aside from a few smokers lingering outside despite the chill. The parking lot was clear, allowing Mono a straight shot to his car. The S.U.V beeped as he reached for the handle of the backseat and hoisted you up into the vehicle. He had already laid the seats down with a simple blanket and pillow waiting as he placed you in the back of the car. Mono came intending to take you the entire time. It was no spontaneous interaction. Who's plan was it?