Chapter 86

You could feel your heart sink, you could only pray to whatever gods may exist that he didn't in fact find out about that. Widen eyes shifted to the ground as you tried to figure out what he thought he knew, but before you could figure out the right thing to say that wouldn't give you away he had already started his march. His right hand took your left and raced for the door without any further hesitation. He ripped the wooden structure open and headed into the halls.

You took in a sharp breath as you readied to protest, but you knew as soon as that door had opened you were limited what you could say. Even making a scene was out of the question, there were too many prying eyes. You struggled to keep up with your brother's side as he moved as quickly as he could without making it look like he was kidnapping some woman from the event. You saw a wondering glance here and there from the few people that were loitering in the hall, but their eyes snapped away from what they figured was some scandalous rondevu between a secretary and some street thug.

Mono wore ripped jeans everywhere and hoodies four sizes too big. There was a reason he didn't get put on assignments that required him to act outside of his natural personality. Hee just explained it as 'He was incapable of being fake'. At the time it sounded like an insult, but most things he said did.

Mono dragged you past the ballroom entrance, allowing you only a second to glimpse inside. Your eyes darted around as quickly as they could to try and get a glimpse of Hoseok before you were carted away. You picked out a mass in the crowd, uniformed men brandishing firearms at their side circled Hoseok. Your head snapped back to Mono as soon as you lost sight of the ballroom, you opened your mouth to question what exactly was happening for a second time but quickly sealed your lips when your eyes met with a passing patreon.

Mono took a sharp left, avoiding the main lobby as he headed down a narrow hall that lead to one of the building's emergency exits. You could see a crack in the door, letting outside light shine through as a wooden block kept the door propped open. Mono had made sure the door was accessible without an alarm before he had even come for you. If he was doing this, did he even get the intel that R wanted? Mono threw the door open and kicked the wooden block out of the way, he pulled you throw the opening and quickly sealed the exit after you.

Feeling the cool evening air kiss your skin felt welcoming compared to the heat that radiated in you after that hasty escape. Your heels dug into the concrete sidewalk and caused you to stumble forward as your feet felt stuck in their sudden stop. With some wide hand gestures, you were able to regain your balance just in time for Mono to rejoin your side.

"Are you going to explain what the fuck is going on?" Your flailing arm gestures toward the door you had just so briskly left. "Hoseok was surrounded back there!" You held less reserve in your voice now that you were safe outside in the back allow of the building. "We can't just leave him like that!"

"Yes, we can!" Mono screamed in reply as he invaded your personal space. You hadn't seen him raise his voice to you like before. Sure, you argued, yelled, and bickered like there was no tomorrow but he never screamed at you in rage. "None of this matters anymore! All that matters is you get as far away from all of this as humanly possible!"

"I don't even know what you're freaking out about!!" Your hands tossed up in the air in frustration you spun yourself around to try and escape his haunting gaze and take a breath. "What about the mission? If we don't get that intell--"

"And that's exactly why you've gotta go!" Mono cut you off, his words instantly putting you on guard. "Because what will happen to you if we don't get this fucking intel, Y/N!" He added, his words directed at you before he broke from the conversation to step into gravel pass along the back alley. He looked both ways, searching for something in the distance.

"You've been talking to Jungkook, haven't you?" Your jaw clenched as your arms wrapped around yourself. You grabbed onto your biceps and squeezed, shielding yourself from a nonexcitant chill that froze your blood and made time seem to freeze. You should have known, he was too kind-hearted to let it go. He got so worried he confided in your brother. Damn it. "I don't know what he's told you, but--"

"He's here." Mono interrupted as he stepped back from the gravel path. You could hear the rocks shifting and popping under a few tons of weight. The tight building making it hard to see down the alley without stepping away from the building, but it wasn't long before that jet black Palaisade came rolling up.

The SUV began to roll to a stop when you stormed the car. Your clutch purse being thrown to the ground as you only focused on one thing. You could see that freshly dyed raven black hair sprung into action as soon as he threw the car in park. The driver door flung open and you met at the front of the car. His arms open wide as he left open his defenses, regret littered his face like mud.

"What the fuck were you thinking?!" Your voice exploded from your chest. It was all ruined now, your entire plan had gone to shit because he had a soft heart. "I trusted you!!" Your voice cracked in his volume. Reaching his frame you shoved your palm into his shoulder and forced him back, boxing him in as you walked with his stumble. A huntress who had locked in on her target. "All you had to do was keep your mouth SHUT!!"

"Y/N!" Jogging back to the two of you after tossing your purse into the driver's side of the car he grabbed onto your arm. Pulling you back he stopped you from pinning Jungkook down and exacting the full extent of your rage of the youngest member of the gang.

"I found the test..." Soft spoke words that made time itself stop. Even Mono froze in his movements as that information sunk into you. He gave you only a few seconds to process what was really happening now.

"We need to leave." Mono slipped himself between you and Jungkook. His tattooed fingers reaching up to cup his little sister's face with one palm. "Trust us, that we've thought this out and it's your best chance." His thumb slipped under your eye and wiped away a collection of moisture you didn't realize had gathered. "At the very least, trust that no matter what - I will protect my sister. Even if I have to throw your ass in the car."

The lump that formed in your throat didn't allow for words to leave you. Rapid blinks cleared your vision quickly when Mono began to rush off with you. He dragged you to the side of the car, this time with less resistance. The passenger flung open and he pressed a firm hand on your shoulder. Climbing into the car with no words of protest, Mono slammed the door shut behind you and began to run to the driver's side.

Raising your hands to your mouth you pressed your fingers to your lips to stop the quivering. Tears throwing to come rushing up, you took in a deep breath and looked out of the windshield to try and clear the water. Jungkook stood on the side of the alley, simply staring at you with sorrow in his eyes. He wasn't moving, he wasn't coming with you.

You held his gaze while Mono hoped into the driver's seat and readied himself. You couldn't hear anything except the reeve of the engine, but you saw his lips move. Jungkook mouthed a simply. "I'm so sorry' before his frame began to stretch further away when Mono pressed on the gas. His body left behind in a cloud of cloud in the car's wake.