Chapter 41

An hour had passed, and wine flowed like water on the upper level of the Roth residence. The noise level from downstairs had started to diminish until no peep came from the lower level. Had all the guests left? Were Taehyung and Rina still down there? Perhaps they had migrated upward into one of the bedrooms. This is where things became complicated. You didn't know the status of the people below, so it made an attempted murder more complicated. If you pulled the trigger too quickly and there were still guests below you, you ran the risk of being found out and cops showing up before you could make your escape with Taehyung. 

Then again, it wouldn't have been the first time you had completed a cut-and-dry assassination and bounced before law enforcement made its way to the scene. Still, that wasn't the agreement between you and your partner for the night, and though you'd love to get Taehyung caught with his pants down or even arrested, R would have your ass for ruining another assignment. 

Playing your cards the best way you knew how you began to fidget in your little black cocktail dress as if the fabric was becoming unbearably uncomfortable and troublesome to keep on. You made sure Phillip noticed your trifle, and once he had, you plastered on a carefree and alluringly bashful expression as you smiled his way. Leaning a bit closer to his frame on the spacious couch the two of you shared upstairs, you locked his gaze. 

"I've got an idea." You whispered, letting your words hiss and drag as if to imply a slightly buzzed mindset. Just like last time, you didn't wish him to believe you were out of your head. Phillip raised a brow in curiosity as he leaned closer to you. Your voice dropped even lower. "Why don't I slip out of this dress, and you meet me there..." You raised a hand and pointed to a bedroom door that was wide open just across the hall. 

Phillip grinned as he raised a palm to place it on your cheek. His thumb dragged slowly across your chin, pulling your lower lip out as it popped from beneath your teeth. His face inched closer, and you were able to feel his wine-scented breath against your skin. Gently, he pressed his lips to yours in a feather-light kiss that lasted a long few seconds but went no further before he pulled his head back. 

"Don't keep me waiting, Kasey." He said, his voice reeking with a sense of demand. So, he had a dominating personality. You'd seen so many in your career that you weren't even surprised. Oh boy, men liked to play the tough card but could rarely provide the strength behind it. 

"Yes, sir." You obediently responded before you slipped from the couch and headed out of the small common room, seeking the nearest bathroom that happened to be adjacent to the bedroom you had pointed out. As you grabbed a hold of the door and stood beside it, Phillip headed toward the bedroom. You offered him a playful lick of your lips to signal that you couldn't wait to see what would come before he disappeared into the room. 

You heard the bedroom door click. Wasting no time, you quickly switched on the bathroom light and turned the sink faucet on to a low stream. You set your heels down beside the door. Leaving the bathroom, you shut the door behind yourself to make it seem like you were still inside. As you rushed for the stairs, your bare feet began to pad against the carpeted floor. Slingshotting down them a few steps, you hung yourself over the railing as you tried to look down into the lower level without being noticed. You saw no one, and the silence seemed thick. 

With haste, you tip-toed down the stairs and took a closer look. The lights were off, and you paused briefly, trying to hear anything. Perhaps Taehyung and Rina were upstairs then. Thankfully, at least the rest of the guests seemed to have left. Rushing back up the stairs, you wandered the hall, listening for any sound from one of the bedrooms. 

You pressed your ear against a few closed doors, hearing nothing but dead silence before coming upon a third door on the right side from the entrance of the stairs. It was cracked open, and there was a light on inside. The idea of peeking inside probably wasn't favorable, but you had to figure out where your accomplice was before you went any further with your plan. 

Holding your breath, you approached the door and gently touched the wood as you carefully pushed it open. The corner of a bed came into view, and not a moment later locks of bleach-blonde hair met your eyes. You jumped back for a second, thinking perhaps Rina would see you. However, as you stared at the hair splayed out on the bed, you noticed it wasn't moving. Stepping forward cautiously, you pushed the door open just another inch. The woman's face finally came into view. 

Her eyes were open wide and faced toward the ceiling. Her mouth hung slack as white foam leaked from her lips. Her chest, only covered by a red lace bra, did not move an inch. She wasn't breathing. You pushed the door opened further and peeked inside, trying to see if Taehyung was still in the room. You quickly looked around, not finding the male insight. Admittedly, a smile crept across your face. You couldn't help the menacing laughter leaving your lips in a low rumble. 

So the drugs you slipped into her drink earlier had worked. Given the state she was dressed in, the dark humorous thought crossed your lips that perhaps she had begun to foam at the mouth while Taehyung was kissing her. Ah, how you silently hoped so. Payback was a beautiful bitch. However, your internal triumph was quickly cut short by the sound of two pops from down the hall. 

"No!" You whispered under your breath as you quickly darted out of the room and down the hall toward where you had last left Phillip. Ripping open the door, you took a heavy breath as you saw Taehyung standing beside the bed, smoking gun in hand as he stood before Phillip's exploded facial cavity. 

"Asshole!" You barked, stomping your foot into the carpet with a snarling growl. "That was my hit!" You declared, no longer caring about the volume of your voice. Your eyes traveled to Phillip, inwardly hoping he was still partially alive, so the bet wasn't completely lost. 

"Too bad." Taehyung shrugged as he lowered the gun at his side. "I win." He chuckled. This time his lips curved up in victory. He turned his towering height your way and casually shrugged his shoulders. 

"Bullshit! I gave Rina the drugs that killed her!" Raising a hand, you pointed toward the door you had just entered as if pointing toward Rina's body, which was well out of view. Your face contorted in anger. 

"Are you sure about that, though?" Taehyung questioned as he shifted his gun to the back of his waistband, tucking it between his belt and his pants before fiddling with the sleeves of his white-collared shirt. His suit jacket must have been left somewhere forgotten. 

"YES! I AM!!" You threw your hands down at your sides as you began to close the gap in the room, marching towards him. 

"Maybe I fucked her to death?" Taehyung said with a sleazy laugh. 

"Please!" You stopped marching toward him and rolled your eyes in disgust. "A girl could probably get more pleasure from rubbing on a couch pillow than she could fucking get from you." Turning on your heel, you released a violent huff as you headed for the bathroom, where you left your pricey heels. 

You rounded the corner and grabbed your shoes before stomping back into the entryway of the bedroom. Raising your hand, you pointed your finger toward Taehyung as you snarled your upper lip. Your hair was messy from your rush, your dolled-up face disturbed by your rage, and your pricey dress was now wrinkled. You looked less graceful than when the night started, but it was over now. 

"No one won the bet. You killed one, and I killed one." Tossing your hand into your wig, you flung your long dirty blonde locks back over your shoulder. "It's a fucking tie!" You began to head down the hall toward the stairs, stomping your feet as you moved. Raising your voice, you carried it to Taehyung so he could hear your still irritated tone. 

"Now let's get out of here before these bodies start to smell, 'Sam'!" 

"Coming, 'kAsEy'," Taehyung responded disgustingly and mockingly as he left the room and began to follow you toward the exit. Both of you were thankful your assignment was finally over, inwardly praying that R wouldn't send the two of you on another mission together again.