Chapter 71

You chewed at your lower lip as Seojoon explained he had come into possession of a chain of lower-class housing complexes within the last year in Stocgate. He had been spending his time going back and forth with various contractors in attempts to improve the living quality at his new facilities. He was trying to bring up the property value to flip them later on for a profit, or at least that's what you assumed. When asked though he simply explained he understood what it was like to grow up with very little and he was now using his accumulated wealth to try and better a community similar to that of his upbringing. He had taken the housing district from a greedy millionaire who was evicting his tenants when they were unable to pay the insane costs that the previous owner had put in place. He was undoing the damage of wealthy greed.

Why was he on R's hit list then? Quickly you snapped the thought from your mind. You could not question R's orders, you were incapable of rebelling against the system. R had his reasons and you simply had to obey your orders. Plain and simple. There was no room for remorse or debate. Seojoon was going to die and that's all there was to it. In attempts to drift your mind from the good qualities that lingered in Seojoon's heart, you shifted the conversation.

"Let's play a game." You suggested as you leaned over to refill your fourth glass of whiskey and top off the rest of the bottle in his glass. You placed the empty body on the edge of the table and leaned back in your seat. Shifting you turned your body to him. You could see curiosity begin to swirl in his dark eyes as he raised a brow in your direction. "Truth or Dare." Reluctantly a forced giggle wormed it's way up to your throat.

It was a childish game, something preteens played in their parent's basement in attempts to steal a kiss from their crush across the room. Never the less the game aged well. Despite it's dated nature, it could be a great way to get another person to lay down their guard and Seojoon's guard still towered high.

"Do you really think that game is appropriate?" Seojoon questioned. His hand tilted up as he quickly gulped down an entirely full glass of whiskey in one swoop. Impressive. He carelessly slid his empty glass back onto the rounded glass table as he leaned into the corner of the couch.

"Why wouldn't it be? It's harmless fun." You snickered to yourself as you followed his lead and polished off the rest of your glass. You folded your arms in your lap as he offered him your undivided attention. Maybe this game wasn't really his cup of tea.

"Do you think you're capable of being honest?" A witty retort that unsettled you internally. Did he catch you in a lie? Quickly you racked your brain as his eyes bored holes into your face, analyzing you for a sense of sincerity.

"Why would I have any reason to lie?" Your hands clasped together, squeezing your fingers. You kept your brows leveled and tried to widen your eyes like an innocent pup. "Not to mention, if either of us ask anything that goes beyond our boundaries, then we just default to a dare." You offered him a knowing look before quickly you popped up from your seat and began to make your way over to the private bar in your room. "Don't tell me you're chicken, Seojoon." You antagonized with a taunting look from over your bare shoulder.

"Fine." He exhaled. "Who goes first." He questioned as you reached the bar. Your eyes ventured over the various choices, letting your fingers run over the chilled glass as you browsed. "You." You suggested while you searched for your next drink of choice. Quickly you settled on a clear brand in contract to the dark liquor you had been drinking. A bottle of Notlet's Modern brand gin. You hadn't seen this brand in years. It was in limited circulation and stretched to a cost well over five hundred bucks.

"Alright." Seojoon muttered as you began to make your way back to him with two fresh glasses. You placed your items down and began to steal a few pieces of clear ice from the bucket on the table and pour your body a healthy shot. "Truth or--"

"Truth." You interrupted before he could finish his question. Reclaiming your seat you passed Seojoon his glass and cradled your own. You offered him a sleek smile. He could tell you choose truth first as a way of proving yourself. He was right to doubt your honesty given the profession you portrayed but he barely knew half of it.

"Is it true you enjoy your job?" Seojoon's voice softened as he asked what could be seen as a more personal question. His eyes relentlessly laid on your frame no matter what you did. You were under his microscope and it was starting to make you internally itch.

"It has its moments." You admittedly as your eyes cast down to your clear glass of gin. "But, tonight?" Your lips smirked as you raised your glass. "I am enjoying myself." You washed your smile down with a flood of liquor. A raised brow from your companion made you aware that he was questioning your integrity.

Questions began to bounce back and forth. Really you were just playing 'truth' more than 'dare'. Exchanging questions of how the two of you grew up, whether you both were more of a cat or dog person. You learned a few useless facts that passed the time. You were down three bottles between the two of you now and you weren't the only one starting to feel its effects. Never the less you were reaching your limit of cognitive responses. You needed to switch gears and get this night on the right track.

Slipping from your seat you began to wander around the room, finally taking in its amenities for the first time that evening as Seojoon watched you move about. You could feel his eyes crawling your frame and you used it to your advantage. Swaying your hips with long strides or toying with your hair in attempts to get him to pay attention to the right features that you flaunted.

It was your turn to ask 'Truth or Dare' and once again unsurprisingly, Seojoon picked truth again. Humming as you thought you stumbled upon a little remote near the bar and began to fidget with it in your hands. Your thumbs pressed at a few buttons before sound began to echo through the room, startling you and causing a flinch. Music from the main hall of the club began to play in your private room. The beat was electronic and upbeat.

"Can you dance?" You asked as your game question and set the remote back down, leaving the music playing. Seojoon pinched his lips together, reluctant to answer what felt like a trick question but his hesitation only widened your grin.

"False." His eyes averted away from you, was he embarrassed by this fact? Most men remained unapologetic about this lack of skill. Letting your long legs stretch you headed back over to the couch. Instead of returning to your place you moved to stand directly in front of Seojoon and hold out your hands to him.

"I dare you to dance with me." Wiggling your fingers you silently asked him to take your hands and come with you. His eyes bounced from your open palms up to your eyes in a disapproving gleam, never the less you didn't back down.

"It's not your turn." He pointed out, his frame straightening as he pushed himself off from his relaxed position and continued to look up at you. There was something intoxicating about the way he looked down there, chocolate eyes locked with your own in such a way you just wanted to throttle him right then and there.